Budget Weddings Forum

Re: n/a

• Great pics, but what was the point of this post?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • to show how beautiful a wedding can still be on a budget. :)
  • to show how beautiful a wedding can still be on a budget. :)
    But you didn't say anything about your budget, the things you DIYed, etc. 

Did you just want a bunch of strangers to gush over your pics?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I’m really sorry if my lack of information personally offended you so bad. There is literally ZERO point to be as aggressive as you’re being for 1. For 2 it was nothing short of a magical day and if I want to post them all over the internet I’m entitled to that. If you don’t like it, move on please. I don’t have the mind space to deal with people like you who literally make nothing into something. 
  • I’m really sorry if my lack of information personally offended you so bad. There is literally ZERO point to be as aggressive as you’re being for 1. For 2 it was nothing short of a magical day and if I want to post them all over the internet I’m entitled to that. If you don’t like it, move on please. I don’t have the mind space to deal with people like you who literally make nothing into something. 
    Woah, simmer down. I literally asked two question and made one observation, none of which indicated any of my personal opinions other than "great pics", which is a compliment. 

I'm sorry really not sorry that "people like me" (inquisitive?) are intruding in your "mind space" (the fuck?) but if you post on the internet, you're going to get opinions from people. You did not receive mine and I never said I didn't like it, I gave you a fucking compliment. 

Jesus, You sound like a lot of men. "This woman is quite calmly asking a question! Relax you aggressive crazy woman! I can't handle such nonsense!"
  • Did you make your dress, that hanger, those "Bride Tribe" tanks? Because I have been to some weddings where most stuff was DIY and this doesn't really seem like this is the epitome of budget and DIY. Spending money on things that are totally useless except for one picture, like those tanks, does not scream frugality.

Flowers aren't always the most cost-effective to DIY, but they are pretty. If you made your cake, that looks lovely. I assume you made that backdrop, which looks nice too.

It looks like you had a lovely wedding, so congrats on that!
  • Did you make your dress, that hanger, those "Bride Tribe" tanks? Because I have been to some weddings where most stuff was DIY and this doesn't really seem like this is the epitome of budget and DIY. Spending money on things that are totally useless except for one picture, like those tanks, does not scream frugality.

Flowers aren't always the most cost-effective to DIY, but they are pretty. If you made your cake, that looks lovely. I assume you made that backdrop, which looks nice too.

It looks like you had a lovely wedding, so congrats on that!
    Image result for this aggression will not stand gif
  • If you just wanted to show off pictures, then do that. But posting about your "complete DIY on a budget" with actually no information at all just seems kind of pointless. Why not offer tips on the things you DIY'ed? Give suggestions to other brides-to-be on how to accomplish this, instead of just showing off pictures in hope that you'll get compliments. 
  • I am still puzzled by the modifier/qualifier of "plus size".  What does that have to do with DIY?  Or budget? Or anything for that matter......

You look like you had a wonderful day. 
  • DIY rarely if ever equals cost savings once the pennies are added up for the misc. nickel and dime supplies.  That is what makes the non-inclusion of what the budget is/was an issue in a post that is headlined "on a budget".  Because budget to you could easily be Luxury Wedding to another poster.

The cake for example - that cost more than going to Sam's Club or many bakeries by the time everything from the first sample to the last paper towel used to dry your hands...  But also brings the question about the toxicity of the items applied directly to the cake (Some things just should not come in contact with cake! Fresh flowers typically top that list).  
  • MesmrEwe said:
    DIY rarely if ever equals cost savings once the pennies are added up for the misc. nickel and dime supplies.  That is what makes the non-inclusion of what the budget is/was an issue in a post that is headlined "on a budget".  Because budget to you could easily be Luxury Wedding to another poster.

The cake for example - that cost more than going to Sam's Club or many bakeries by the time everything from the first sample to the last paper towel used to dry your hands...  But also brings the question about the toxicity of the items applied directly to the cake (Some things just should not come in contact with cake! Fresh flowers typically top that list).  
    This is a good PSA for anyone thinking about making their own cake and having fresh flowers and greenery on it. You need to purchase special food-grade plastic tubes for anything stuck into the cake and a barrier to them touching the frosting, and a topper needs a food grade plastic barrier of some kind so that the plants don't come in contact with the cake. I would not have had any of that cake if I knew that those steps had not been taken.
  • yes hangers had been in my moms closet for over 10 years! We just made stencils and used transfer paper for them. Cake was homemade from top to bottom including all pine cones and decor that were either picked from our garden or found, the headpiece was handmade by my grandma, the backdrop was handmade took about 5 hours the Thursday before the wedding to find a good way to hang the the eucalyptus so it would stay and to cure it for 2 days, flowers were all handmade by my mother in law (they are all silk) we paid about 300 total for all the materials for the bouquet including mine and all the boutiners which were silk flowers as well. The tank tops were bought from meijers on clearance I paid 4 dollars for them a piece, the sign was hand written and painted the only things “purchased” were the dresses and suits :) I was going to add more info but it wouldn’t let me for some reason but really shouldn’t have to explain my post to a bunch of strangers. My entire wedding was done for all around 3,000. 
  • yes hangers had been in my moms closet for over 10 years! We just made stencils and used transfer paper for them. Cake was homemade from top to bottom including all pine cones and decor that were either picked from our garden or found, the headpiece was handmade by my grandma, the backdrop was handmade took about 5 hours the Thursday before the wedding to find a good way to hang the the eucalyptus so it would stay and to cure it for 2 days, flowers were all handmade by my mother in law (they are all silk) we paid about 300 total for all the materials for the bouquet including mine and all the boutiners which were silk flowers as well. The tank tops were bought from meijers on clearance I paid 4 dollars for them a piece, the sign was hand written and painted the only things “purchased” were the dresses and suits :) I was going to add more info but it wouldn’t let me for some reason but really shouldn’t have to explain my post to a bunch of strangers. My entire wedding was done for all around 3,000. 
    But yet, YOU posted here, and wanted strangers to do what exactly? 
  • wow okay, I’m really sorry I personally offended so many of you! Please just scroll past if you’re just going to make me seem like I’m just trying to brag because those are not at all my intentions. I’m just trying to share a lovely day with other brides. And had people asked me in a nice way in the comments tips I’d have absolutely no problem at all sharing those tips! I would want anyone to have such a budget friendly wedding and still make it beautiful. 
  • It did not, the cake was a simple chocolate cake with homemade raspberry jam covered in crumb coat! I believe it cost us about 40 dollars once everything was said and done. And yep we were very aware of certain flowers that shouldn’t be applied to the cake and made sure to follow them. 
  • they were, my grandma has done this many many times. And everyone was fine. I would have not put something on my cake that would have poisoned my guests! Lol even all 300 pine cones were hand washed and baked 
  • Your wedding was beautiful and seriously your dress is stunning!! 

There’s an entire boardnfor wedding recap where people post their photos and thoughts about their wedding so I don’t think it’s that weird to post them. But yeah usually there’s commentary about the day, or how they budgeted, or they are frequent posters on the boards and are sharing with everyone; but there’s not rule saying you have to do that. A little on to post on the budget board? Sure, but whatevs. 
    This is my first ever post to the knot and had a hard time figuring out the forum because it’s not as easy as WeddingWire. I do apologize for anyone I personally offended by showing pictures of my wedding with not enough info. 
  • wow okay, I’m really sorry I personally offended so many of you! Please just scroll past if you’re just going to make me seem like I’m just trying to brag because those are not at all my intentions. I’m just trying to share a lovely day with other brides. And had people asked me in a nice way in the comments tips I’d have absolutely no problem at all sharing those tips! I would want anyone to have such a budget friendly wedding and still make it beautiful. P

STUCK

Pretty sure the only one personally offended here is you, OP. 

You posted like 100 pics on a message board that you've never been active on before. No description, no details, just a ton of pictures. Just admit you wanted compliments. There's nothing wrong with that, but flipping out when we ask questions isn't a good look. 
  • MobKaz said:
    I am still puzzled by the modifier/qualifier of "plus size".  What does that have to do with DIY?  Or budget? Or anything for that matter......

I was actually originally trying to post in the plus size section to show you can still be plus size and beautiful, but budget weddings came up. I didn’t realize there was a rule of where you could post stuff and quite frankly dont understand why I’m having to explain my actions as if I did something wrong? I’m blown away by the amount of people on here that are tearing my post apart. Will never be posting to the knot again. Lol 
    I just didn’t expect people to rip it apart as all. I’m a simple newby to the forums and they certainly did not make it a warm welcome lol it’s whatever I’m over it 
  • wow okay, I’m really sorry I personally offended so many of you! Please just scroll past if you’re just going to make me seem like I’m just trying to brag because those are not at all my intentions. I’m just trying to share a lovely day with other brides. And had people asked me in a nice way in the comments tips I’d have absolutely no problem at all sharing those tips! I would want anyone to have such a budget friendly wedding and still make it beautiful. P

STUCK

You posted like 100 pics on a message board that you've never been active on before. No description, no details, just a ton of pictures. Just admit you wanted compliments. There's nothing wrong with that, but flipping out when we ask questions isn't a good look. 

look at at my previous comment. I’m not gonna admit I just wanted compliments because I didn’t. It’s asinine to assume I’m just being stuck up because I didn’t add in enough info. If you’ve ever been on wedding wire they have complete forums that’s for sharing your pictures and what not (with description) of your day and people comment (nicely) asking for tips and you reply like that. At the time of the post I could not figure out how to add all the info in along with the picture so I figured my title, would incline people to ask away on the comments like in wedding wire, instead, everyone beat my post down telling why I would ever dare post a budget wedding with just pictures unless I just was stuck up and wanted compliments lol. Ask me again why I’m a bit offended?

STUCK

look at at my previous comment. I’m not gonna admit I just wanted compliments because I didn’t. It’s asinine to assume I’m just being stuck up because I didn’t add in enough info. If you’ve ever been on wedding wire they have complete forums that’s for sharing your pictures and what not (with description) of your day and people comment (nicely) asking for tips and you reply like that. At the time of the post I could not figure out how to add all the info in along with the picture so I figured my title, would incline people to ask away on the comments like in wedding wire, instead, everyone beat my post down telling why I would ever dare post a budget wedding with just pictures unless I just was stuck up and wanted compliments lol. Ask me again why I’m a bit offended?
    Maybe you need to reread posts. No one has beat you down. No one has commented rudely. No one called you stuck up. You're jumping to these conclusions and inserting tones that simply aren't there. We asked questions, just apparently not the ones you wanted? 

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with posting pictures or a wanting a little attention. I made a big ol' post when I got married and I enjoyed the comments. I post pictures of my dog or ask for an occasional virtual high five. But I'm also a reg here and these people have gotten to know me.

Oh, and we're not Wedding Wire. TK and WW might be one now, but the boards are separate. 

I'll decline asking why you're offended again because I know why. You're choosing to be. You're choosing to take innocent questions and observations and twist them around. 
  • please just stop commenting on my post lol thanks 
  • please just stop commenting on my post lol thanks 

wow okay, I’m really sorry I personally offended so many of you! Please just scroll past if you’re just going to make me seem like I’m just trying to brag because those are not at all my intentions. I’m just trying to share a lovely day with other brides. And had people asked me in a nice way in the comments tips I’d have absolutely no problem at all sharing those tips! I would want anyone to have such a budget friendly wedding and still make it beautiful. 
    It did not, the cake was a simple chocolate cake with homemade raspberry jam covered in crumb coat! I believe it cost us about 40 dollars once everything was said and done. And yep we were very aware of certain flowers that shouldn’t be applied to the cake and made sure to follow them. 
    they were, my grandma has done this many many times. And everyone was fine. I would have not put something on my cake that would have poisoned my guests! Lol even all 300 pine cones were hand washed and baked 
    Your wedding was beautiful and seriously your dress is stunning!! 

There’s an entire boardnfor wedding recap where people post their photos and thoughts about their wedding so I don’t think it’s that weird to post them. But yeah usually there’s commentary about the day, or how they budgeted, or they are frequent posters on the boards and are sharing with everyone; but there’s not rule saying you have to do that. A little on to post on the budget board? Sure, but whatevs. 
    This is my first ever post to the knot and had a hard time figuring out the forum because it’s not as easy as WeddingWire. I do apologize for anyone I personally offended by showing pictures of my wedding with not enough info. 
    MobKaz said:
    I am still puzzled by the modifier/qualifier of "plus size".  What does that have to do with DIY?  Or budget? Or anything for that matter......

I was actually originally trying to post in the plus size section to show you can still be plus size and beautiful, but budget weddings came up. I didn’t realize there was a rule of where you could post stuff and quite frankly dont understand why I’m having to explain my actions as if I did something wrong? I’m blown away by the amount of people on here that are tearing my post apart. Will never be posting to the knot again. Lol 
    yes hangers had been in my moms closet for over 10 years! We just made stencils and used transfer paper for them. Cake was homemade from top to bottom including all pine cones and decor that were either picked from our garden or found, the headpiece was handmade by my grandma, the backdrop was handmade took about 5 hours the Thursday before the wedding to find a good way to hang the the eucalyptus so it would stay and to cure it for 2 days, flowers were all handmade by my mother in law (they are all silk) we paid about 300 total for all the materials for the bouquet including mine and all the boutiners which were silk flowers as well. The tank tops were bought from meijers on clearance I paid 4 dollars for them a piece, the sign was hand written and painted the only things “purchased” were the dresses and suits :) I was going to add more info but it wouldn’t let me for some reason but really shouldn’t have to explain my post to a bunch of strangers. My entire wedding was done for all around 3,000. 
    I just didn’t expect people to rip it apart as all. I’m a simple newby to the forums and they certainly did not make it a warm welcome lol it’s whatever I’m over it 
    Last one. Maybe. ;)
  • So, I have tutored people in writing. Writing can be formal or informal, but the key thing is communicating what you want to say in a way that your audience understands it. To do that well, you have to know your audience.

For this post, your audience was a bunch of internet strangers to whom you've never spoken. We don't know anything about you and your wedding. If your intention was to give strangers tips on how to make a budget wedding beautiful, the best strategy would have been to include those tips in the OP, or at least describe your process.

That's why people are questioning the intent of your post, because the information provided looks (to an audience who doesn't know you) like you just wanted to show off how pretty your wedding was. As others said, that's a totally fine motivation. But you also shouldn't be surprised if people are confused about all the other labels ("plus size", "budget", etc.) in the post title, because zero information was given about those.

If you had other intentions for the post, they were not effectively communicated to your audience. And if it was just for you, why make it public on a message board? In short - what was the point of this post? (That's a simple, non-malicious, non-aggressive question, except for any tone you choose to read into it. Since you are my audience, OP, this disclaimer is necessary, whereas I would leave it out when writing to @ShesSoCold, because I know she already knows my tone.)

You've deleted your post now, so maybe you realized that what you wanted to achieve wasn't going to be done via a post full of pictures directed at strangers.
  • OP, the only one offended here is you. We just asked questions. 
  • ok you guys are perfect in every way and im 1000% wrong :)
  • ok you guys are perfect in every way and im 1000% wrong :)
    Thank you. That's exactly what we were getting at. 

Image result for eyeroll gif
  • Bat signal didn't disappoint!