Wedding Woes
Options

I need to know the content of these "creepy" posts.

2»

Re: I need to know the content of these "creepy" posts.

• Options
    I'm on team ban the niece. I might be a bit thick skinned as I doubt I would cry about someone calling me creepy and bashing my house, but putting in on social media and insulting me results in not being welcome in my home. I would not ban a sibling for the actions of a child though - heck, I have nephews under 10 that I will 100% blame instead of their parents for their actions. Can't the niece stay somewhere else? If they are all in the same town, she doesn't have to bunk with her mom - they are all family. I think it is just time to shake up the housing arrangements.

• Options
    The social media thing is what is getting me here. It would have been one thing if niece had privately said to someone that she felt uncomfortable at Aunt's house. But it's something entirely different to post photos of someone's home online for the express purpose of mocking them. At that point you're just out to humiliate someone. 

Personally, I see no issue with LW banning the niece from her house. If you're going to be that nasty about where someone lives, it's reasonable for them not to welcome you into their home. As far as LW's sister goes, I can't really say without knowing what her reaction was to the whole thing. If she was upset with her daughter and considered what she did to be wrong, then LW shouldn't ban her. If she totally sided with her daughter or joined in the mocking or calling LW creepy, that's another story.
  • Options
    I think the "banning" the aunt was probably less direct. It was likely more of an indirect result of banning the daughter since they travel together. 
  • Options
    The crux of it is that it is violating. Violating one space that she generously opened up to visitors. This is a university level adult. Not a 14 year old not understanding privacy settings. She purposely made fun of her aunt, called her "aunt creepy" and broadcast it wide. I would be upset if my family did this to me. I think it is fair to say she is not welcome to stay. Fool me once...

I think the thing really killing this is the sister is being defensive of her daughter and minimising the situation. If she had said "I am so sorry, that is not OK, I am going to talk to niece ASAP" the situation could have been resolved. But it is doubling down on the minimising of the event, then gaslighting her to make HER seem like she is the issue. You can't make fun of another adult then say they are mean when they don't want to be around you. that is basic logic. 

Frankly, if it is such an issue, brother can stay with her and Shitty niece and mum can stay at her parents. It isn't like she is saying niece is banned from her presence. She is saying that an ungrateful person did a shitty hurtful thing, seems not apologetic about it at all, and she doesn't want to be hurt again. 

• Options
    Casadena said:
    I'm a little worked up about this one I think. It makes me absolutely ragey when I see (very very often) people taking photos or videos of others in public for the explicit purpose of making fun. I travel a lot for work and it happens at airports literally every time I am there. It's not ok and I think people who do that to others without their consent are vile.

The fact that a person would do this to someone they know and love (presumably, we don't have all the facts), or at the very least accept kindnesses from is a horrible person.

Edited bc Knot ate the rest of my post.  
    Exactly. I really hate this "shame other people" mentality for having different tastes than you. I remember there was a story of a model who snap chatted a woman in the shower at the gym and her defence was she thought she was only doing it to her friends. That is still a shitty thing to do! Or the whole "people of walmart" where people make fun of the poor... 

We are seriously lacking empathy in this world. It makes me so sad. 
  • Options
    Shaming other people seems to be "in" right now, especially since Game of Thrones gave us a sound bite for it. People even shame their pets, which is not as bad because I'm sure the pet feels no shame, but they have to pose the pets and make them stand beside a sign ... just getting the photo probably makes the animal annoyed. I've just never seen the point of calling people out in public (by ways of social media or actual public) for anything. If I have an issue with you, I'll tell you myself, or I'll vent about it and then let it go.

• Options
    Casadena said:
    I'm a little worked up about this one I think. It makes me absolutely ragey when I see (very very often) people taking photos or videos of others in public for the explicit purpose of making fun. I travel a lot for work and it happens at airports literally every time I am there. It's not ok and I think people who do that to others without their consent are vile.

The fact that a person would do this to someone they know and love (presumably, we don't have all the facts), or at the very least accept kindnesses from is a horrible person.

Exactly. I really hate this "shame other people" mentality for having different tastes than you. I remember there was a story of a model who snap chatted a woman in the shower at the gym and her defence was she thought she was only doing it to her friends. That is still a shitty thing to do! Or the whole "people of walmart" where people make fun of the poor... 

The model ended up getting charged with invasion of privacy and I think sentenced to at least community service. I wish that would happen more often.
  • Options
    I'm going to take the spin of "Invasion of privacy!" I'd honestly be outraged if someone posted pictures of the inside of my house which showed items I own without permission.  Forget the insults and derogatory comments, I don't want people seeing the inside of my house unless it's a perfectly cropped picture which doesn't show our "stuff" (think Christmas Tree "hey look at us" picture without a million gifts or other things in the photo)..  

I'm really o.k. with the LW putting the boundary in place.  SNS, your pulling out the welcome mat after being insulted and images of the inside of your home posted without permission, they can stay at the hotel!  
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    Casadena said:

The model ended up getting charged with invasion of privacy and I think sentenced to at least community service. I wish that would happen more often.
    And that poor woman who was photographed?  She is likely never going to be the same.  

• Options
    I'm with the LW. She's hurt. Her sister and niece are not entitled to stay at her home. And you can't ban the young adult niece and not the sister too; they're a package deal still. 
    The teachable moment is that niece gets to learn that actions have consequences. Don't insult family and still reap benefits of said family's generosity. 
    I agree with this. You're not going to insult my home and be invited back. Where you stay for the holidays is no longer my problem. 
    This is where I am too. She says the daughter is college aged, so she could even be as young as 18.