Wedding Woes
Options

There you go again, Abby.

DEAR ABBY: A month and a half ago, my boyfriend of five years proposed. We are happy and excited. Most of the wedding party are my friends from college, who are like a family to me. They have also grown very close to my fiance.

One friend, "Eden," defines herself as a "goth." She wears dark lipstick, dark makeup and usually wears all black -- lace, fishnets, etc. Her casual wear isn't all that out of place. However, when she dresses up, the goth comes out in full force -- parasol, thigh-high boots, over-the-top stuff (at least to me).

She's invited to our wedding, and I'm concerned that she may go overboard with her wardrobe for the event. I do not wish to stifle her style or sense of self, but the guests will be mostly family and it's a formal event. Is there a polite way to mention this to her and ask her to tone it down a bit? I don't want to hurt her feelings or appear to be stuck up, however I am sure she will be in many of the photos. -- POLITE FRIEND IN PENNSYLVANIA

DEAR FRIEND: If there will be a wedding party and you have a maid of honor, the responsibility of explaining the "dress code" to Eden should fall to her -- for the reasons you mentioned. Whether Eden takes offense is anybody's guess, but at least the message won't come directly from you. If she chooses to ignore the dress code and "come as she is," focus on your happiness and do not let it ruin your day. As for the pictures, put her in the back.

Re: There you go again, Abby.

• Options
    I'm not a big fan of Abby's advice in general, but she's pretty much always wrong when it comes to wedding stuff. 

It seems pretty clear to me that Eden is not in the wedding party, so LW can't dictate what she wears to the wedding. Simple.

• Options
    I could actually see having a conversation w/ Eden, if Eden is a good friend, that, could you please tone it down a little so I don't have to explain to great-aunt edna?  And because I don't want it to look like a victorian funeral?  (most of the goths I knew could pull off dressed-up without the parasol) 

And if you're not close enough to talk to Eden...maybe you're not close enough to invite her to the wedding?

But man, if I were Eden, I'd totally be "WTF, if the bride has an opinion about my clothes, wouldn't SHE talk to me?  who is this MOHzilla trying to tell GUESTS what to effing wear?"
    (and if I heard the bride sent her, I'd nope right out of all of it)
  • Options
    Oh FFS Abby... Needs to meet a different Abby and embrace Eden's uniqueness...  SNS, either LW needs to not invite her or put her judgmental self on a shelf...   Rock it Eden!

Image result for NCIS Abby
  • Options

I read this Dear Abby over the weekend and thought of you all, lol.

Even here on TK, I have NEVER heard of someone thinking it was the MOH's "job" to talk to guests about their potential inappropriate attire.

I actually found that the most appalling part.  I mean, the topic is rude AF anyway.  And now DA thinks the bride should actually make her MOH do that rude AF-ery?  Are you kidding me?!?

I'm picturing the conversation, "Hey, Goth Girl!  You don't really know me.  But I'm Silly Sally and I'm Bitch Bride's MOH.  I think we met at BB's BBQ last year.  The reason for my call is BB and I want to make sure you realize that this wedding is going to be more formal and dressy and we want you to dress accordingly.  So please tone it down on the goth stuff (insert examples of what not to wear)." 

In my example, I was pointing out that the MOH might not necessarily know this guest at all.  But, even if they are good friends also, it's still ridiculous to pass along such an odious and flat-out wrong "job" to someone else.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I read this Dear Abby over the weekend and thought of you all, lol.

Even here on TK, I have NEVER heard of someone thinking it was the MOH's "job" to talk to guests about their potential inappropriate attire.

I actually found that the most appalling part.  I mean, the topic is rude AF anyway.  And now DA thinks the bride should actually make her MOH do that rude AF-ery?  Are you kidding me?!?

I'm picturing the conversation, "Hey, Goth Girl!  You don't really know me.  But I'm Silly Sally and I'm Bitch Bride's MOH.  I think we met at BB's BBQ last year.  The reason for my call is BB and I want to make sure you realize that this wedding is going to be more formal and dressy and we want you to dress accordingly.  So please tone it down on the goth stuff (insert examples of what not to wear)." 

In my example, I was pointing out that the MOH might not necessarily know this guest at all.  But, even if they are good friends also, it's still ridiculous to pass along such an odious and flat-out wrong "job" to someone else.

If the bride follows Abby's advice the good news is that she won't have to worry about this anymore and may even have one less person in her WP. 

• Options
    Also, after reading the latest Dear Abby on the MIL advice I just think she's all around terrible. 
  • Options
    The MOH having that kind of job is news to me.  LW, don’t worry about what Eden’s wearing *huge eyeroll*
  • Options
    I would have been psyched to have someone with a fancy lace parasol at my wedding.  Don't know why LW thinks this is going to be such a big deal - so many people have different styles of dress, and it makes life more interesting.  Live and let live!

• Options
    "stick her in the back" means she is the in wedding party, right? or did Abby get confused on that because nothing in the letter says she's in the party....

Either way - if she's a guest - who CARES what she's wearing.  I went to my cousins wedding in a black dress and a black choker that was goth like....no one said a thing.
    if she's in the wedding party - then there's a bit more control over it.

• Options

Dear Abby is well past her prime and no longer relevant!  I think Prudie gives much better advice and he even lacks in his advice at times.

Abby even told an Indian man that he should convince his wife to not provide their future children with traditional Indian names like she wants, so the family could assimilate to life in the States.  One of the excuses she gave the father to be, was that they are hard to pronounce!!!!

• Options
    kerbohl said:
    I would have been psyched to have someone with a fancy lace parasol at my wedding.  Don't know why LW thinks this is going to be such a big deal - so many people have different styles of dress, and it makes life more interesting.  Live and let live!
    I have always loved fancy lace parasols, so if someone had showed up to my wedding with one, I would've insisted on taking a photo with them! 

And I totally agree with you. I don't get why someone being dressed in a distinctive/unusual style at a wedding is a problem. Most people would probably notice Eden's attire for about 2 seconds and then move on. It's not going to define the day or take attention away from the bride (which I suspect is the real motive here). 
  • Options
    I'm so glad that I have friends who are not cookie cutter replicas of each other and have distinct styles and interests. I hope the bride realizes that this is horrible advice and that she should welcome her friend (in whatever style she feels comfortable in) and be proud to introduce her to relatives. The world is too small to be this petty.
  • Options
    kerbohl said:
    I have always loved fancy lace parasols, so if someone had showed up to my wedding with one, I would've insisted on taking a photo with them! 

And I totally agree with you. I don't get why someone being dressed in a distinctive/unusual style at a wedding is a problem. Most people would probably notice Eden's attire for about 2 seconds and then move on. It's not going to define the day or take attention away from the bride (which I suspect is the real motive here). 
    A New Orleans wedding tradition is for, at some point during the reception, the DJ will break out a song called Second Line.  And the couple, with the bride carrying a parasol, will lead guests in a train-like fashion around the room for the duration of the song.  The guests will usually grab a napkin and wave that during the little parade. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It kind of pisses me off that the bride even wrote in about this.  I don't think this is about the bride being concerned about her friend...this is about her friend messing up her pretty princess pictures.  Honestly, in my grumpy morning old age, my first thought was:

this bitch umar GIF

I'm sure friend knows how to dress for a wedding and keep her style going.  If she doesn't, who cares?  You presumably, especially in a small wedding, are inviting those close to you.  The real task for the MOH should be, "If anyone makes a snide comment about Edna in your or my hearing, tell them to STFU for me, please."
  • Options
    That is bananas. 

Also LOL that the bride is calling herself "polite". More like, "rude jerk that wants to dictate my friend's attire"