Wedding Woes

Tuesday!!

What's goin' on ladies?

We loved NIN so much that we may go to New Orleans for a show. LOL. We've always wanted to go to New Orleans and NIN is there Thanksgiving weekend, which is also my birthday. We didn't travel for H's 30th or mine, like we intended, so I think a long NO weekend might be a lot of fun. 

Oh, and you guys were right. The Office does definitely get funnier.
Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Tuesday!!

• @mrsconn23 Yay, you deserve some great news!

@ShesSoCold I meant to post to you yesterday, that I totally agree with you on NIN.  I thought it was one of the best light shows I'd ever seen in a concert and the sound was phenomenal (old theatre tech nerd here) considering all the layers the sound engineers have to deal with for his music.  My only "grump" would be that the show started and then the show was finished.  There was no encores and Reznor didn't really engage so much with the crowd.  But, it didn't read as anything but extremely focused on the music.  And his voice live is gorgeous.  I'm sure there was a backing track, but still, so good.

SSDD here at work.  I'm still decompressing from everything.  I did get up and work out this morning though, so a good first foray into focusing on myself.  Next up is getting my cooking mojo back.
  • YAY @mrsconn23.

250+ posts and our TorT is tonight.  I finished M2's costume last night.  She's a trash bag. 

I'm trying to get my cooking mojo back too.  My freezers are pretty bare right now.  I'm making veggie soup tomorrow and I think I need to make some homemade bread too.

I just finished an 80 day workout program.  I got up at 5 am through the week to get it done.  Now I'm doing a 4 day a week program.  It's 9:30 already and I can't get myself together to do it.

• VarunaTT said:
    @mrsconn23 Yay, you deserve some great news!

@ShesSoCold I meant to post to you yesterday, that I totally agree with you on NIN.  I thought it was one of the best light shows I'd ever seen in a concert and the sound was phenomenal (old theatre tech nerd here) considering all the layers the sound engineers have to deal with for his music.  My only "grump" would be that the show started and then the show was finished.  There was no encores and Reznor didn't really engage so much with the crowd.  But, it didn't read as anything but extremely focused on the music.  And his voice live is gorgeous.  I'm sure there was a backing track, but still, so good.

SSDD here at work.  I'm still decompressing from everything.  I did get up and work out this morning though, so a good first foray into focusing on myself.  Next up is getting my cooking mojo back.
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHS. I agree on all points. When the show was over, we just kind of stood there like, "uhhh, I'm not done yet." They did do one encore in Chicago. I think the only thing he said besides "thank you" was "there's nowhere else in the world I'd rather be right now", which I thought was kind of cool. But the lights combined with the smoke and their sound...it just worked perfectly. I told H that this show was the loudest drumming I've heard that wasn't just sloppy and chunky and shitty like a lot of shows. 

Mrs.conn - great news for your family! I agree you deserve it!!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @ShesSoCold, of course you all should go to New Orleans.  But then I'm biased, lol.  Something pretty cool that opens on Thanksgiving weekend is Celebration in the Oaks.  It's held at City Park, which has lots of amazing foliage.  Including lots of those big Live Oak trees that are few hundred years old.  It's a walking tour with all these elaborate, lighted scenes throughout that portion of the park.  Here's a link that talks more about it:

http://neworleanscitypark.com/celebration-in-the-oaks

@CharmedPam, I saw that article a couple weeks ago and bookmarked for my "reading pleasure", during my Halloween lunchtime tomorrow.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • As many of you know, my dad has MS. He was just rushed to the regional trauma center in an ambulance after having a bad fall in the house. 
  • Sparklepants - I hope your dad is OK

MrsConn good news for your mom. 

I can't imagine putting in PTO requests a year in advance. I usually put mine in like 2 weeks ahead unless it is a real trip. Speaking of, I need to burn some more time off soon before I wind up losing a bunch like last year.

A few areas around here are changing ToT - one to tonight and another said Friday. According to the forecast this morning we should be OK with rain tomorrow night
  • @mrsconn23, great news! That's so good to hear.  H has to put in his 2019 vacation bids around this time too. I don't think it's changeable 
    That is such BS.  I mean things can change at any time.  I cancel and move PTO around all the time.

Also, this bid won't cover all the vacation time I get anyway.  They do the guaranteed weeks, your bday, and then we can pick 7 individual days off through the year (I always request the Friday before Labor Day in the individual days portion)...but I'll still have 2+ weeks to schedule after this bid.  Once everyone bids and it's loaded in our scheduling site, you can make changes and request more time off. (Yes, I get an insane amount of vacation time.) 

I still have a half day unscheduled for this year that I need to either take an hour or two here and there or just schedule a half day off.  ;) 
  • @sparklepants41, I'm so sorry to hear that!  I really hope your dad's okay.

On the subject of PTO, that is one thing I really like about the company I work for.  They are super flexible with vacation time.  If it's a "bigger" vacation that involves a flight/hotels, I will get the "okay" before booking anything.  Which is usually at least a few weeks in advance.

But if it's just a day or two, I'll usually send an e-mail the same week or the week before.  I don't even ask for the time off, lol.  I just tell them what I'm doing.  With that said, nobody else does my job so there really isn't anyone else to coordinate my schedule with. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh no @sparklepants41!  T+P's.  <3 
  • T&P's for your dad, @sparklepants41
    @charlotte989875, sorry to hear things aren't going so well.  I think, with time, things should turn around and you'll get on the same page.
    And yeah, @mrsconn23, it does suck.  He gets three weeks and we usually only put 2 in.  I typically do plan a year ahead so it's not too too bad.  We use the extra week here and there for little trips he can put in 3 weeks ahead of time.

• Thanks, everyone. Right now he's having x-rays and CT scans. I'm glad they're being thorough. 

@mrsconn23 that's really great news about your mom! How is she feeling? And the foster placement for your sister is also happy news! I don't know much about fostering - does she know the age of the foster child in advance? 
  • On the subject of PTO, that is one thing I really like about the company I work for.  They are super flexible with vacation time.  If it's a "bigger" vacation that involves a flight/hotels, I will get the "okay" before booking anything.  Which is usually at least a few weeks in advance.

But if it's just a day or two, I'll usually send an e-mail the same week or the week before.  I don't even ask for the time off, lol.  I just tell them what I'm doing.  With that said, nobody else does my job so there really isn't anyone else to coordinate my schedule with. 

We have site that's dedicated to scheduling.  Once PTO for the year is loaded, you can go in and do whatever you need to.  I can pull up the calendar and see how many hours of PTO are available on any given day (or for a week) and then put in my request.  I don't have to send an e-mail or ask for permission or anything.  It's so easy.  

• @mrsconn23 that's really great news about your mom! How is she feeling? And the foster placement for your sister is also happy news! I don't know much about fostering - does she know the age of the foster child in advance? 
    Mom is doing well.  Just tires out pretty easy since she's still recovering from surgery + 5 days of localized chemo.  I need to call her today. 

I don't know if she knows anything or if she can divulge it before the placement.  She just found out yesterday that they may have a child (or children?) they need to place with her soon. 
  • S+S that is the same as it is for me. I try to plan ahead when I can but usually it is a semi-last minute thing. Or I'll hold my calendar for PTO and if it changes no big deal.

All of this PTO talk reminded me I need to go look at my balance. We re-set 7/1 and mine is almost always wrong
  • @sparklepants41 I hope your dad is better!

@charlotte989875 I hope you and your sister work things out.   That sucks and sometimes it's a huge PITA to be the bigger person. 

• @sparklepants41 thoughts and prayers for your dad
  • Sparkle - I hope your dad is ok!

Charlotte - I'm sorry about your sister and hope the health issues with your niece aren't serious and can be resolved quickly.  I imagine some of the problems with your sister right now are due to stress of your niece's health issues.  If she had been more open with you, you may have been more understanding and responded differently, but without that knowledge, you reacted like anyone else would have.

MrsConn - Great news for your mom and sister!  Its nice that your mom doesn't have to do much, except heal from surgery and chemo, for the next 3 months!

SSC - Definitely do NOLA if you haven't before!

Last night was good.  I carved the pumpkin with DD's help.  I gave her the pumpkin poker that "traces" the outline of the design to the pumpkin when I was done with it.  She is watching me use the pumpkin knife and she starts sawing at the pumpkin with the poker.  It was really cute!  So I cut an easy Minnie mouse design to the pumpkin and move it to the darkened front room, so she can see Minnie glow.  I thought it would be cute to video it and hear her yell Minnie when she sees it.  Except this is real life, so after standing in the dark room and looking at the pumpkin for 20 seconds, I ask her whose on the pumpkin and she responds "Dada".  Oh kid!

After DD was in bed, H and I painted the wall behind the TV.  It looks really nice, but we are still going to do another coat of paint tonight.  So we probably won't get the TV hung up until tomorrow, to know whether we fixed it properly or not!

• Thoughts and prayers to your dad @sparklepants41, and healing vibes to you too, I imagine you’re stressed. 
    Good news about your mom @mrsconn23 and ouch @charlotte989875.  That’s so sticky about Thanksgiving.  My mom told us before we had kids that she has her own in-laws and she’s not interested in spending holidays with ours.  Which I’m fine with.  Spend Thanksgiving with spouse 1’s family and Christmas with spouse 2’s.  Or split Christmas Eve and Day...I’ve seen some friends on Facebook hosting their own park family plus their spouse’s...I don’t get it. And it’s unfair to withhold health information and then turn around and use it as ammunition.

Pretty much SSDD over here.  Trying to keep my students calm over the fact that tomorrow’s Halloween.  Will go home in two hours and try to keep my kids calm over the same thing  :D
  • levioosa said:
    @sparklepants41 good vibes and thoughts for your dad

@mrsconn23 I’m glad to hear things doing better for your mom! 

@charlotte989875 that’s really unfortunate. Do you feel like your neice’s health problems were shared for perspective or to manipulate for your sister to get her way? That would annoy me even more. Family can be a PITA sometimes. 

I have a quiz tomorrow so studying today. Unfortunately the house cleaning service was only available at 6:30 pm tonight which is too late for us, so I’ll be cleaning the house this week. I need to set up a schedule again. Things got a little crazy with my trip. Squish has hit his terrible kitten two’s which involves a lot of spastic running, parkour, and trying to chew things he shouldn’t. However, he and Jack cuddle now which is pretty much the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. 

Oh!!  The hugs and snuggles are so cute!

I was LOL'ing at your use of the word "parkour" to describe Squish's antics.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone. He broke his femur at the top where it sits in the pelvis, and will be having surgery tomorrow morning. After he recovers for a few days in the hospital he will have to go to a rehab facility. The thought of him being in a rehab facility makes me sad because he's still so young (early 60s). 
  • Halloween candy alert!

A member of another forum I belong to, posted that Costco has a great deal going on right now with candy:

• Full size candy bars $12.99 for a 30 pack.
    • $15.99 for a fun-sized 90 pack.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! It sucks. 

To answer a few questions: I think last night she was worked up and was taking out her frustrations on me. I’m sure she’s scared and overwhelmed. Definitely doesn’t excuse it and I’m still hurt by how she talked to me. But I don’t feel like she was trying to be manipulative (well I think she was trying to be a little manipulative), I think she is just overwhelmed. From what her H said my niece is having delayed speech (she’s 19 months and doesn’t really say wonders), is having trouble communicating, and not meeting some other milestones she should have at this point. To the point where the doctors recommended having a worker from the county come out and work with her. I think what makes it harder for my sister is that she’s a neuroscientist, and has tried hard to work with her. 

But yeah it doesn’t excuse how she acted but I think she just flew off the handle at me last night. And I did tell her that we can’t know things are going on, and be more sensitive or let things go, if you don’t actually tell us what is going on. And not when you’re yelling at me. So we’ll see. 

And @eileenrob, thats exactly how my H (and I’m pretty sure my mom) feels. Like it doesn’t need to be a big party and that he’s not interested in having a holiday with her in-laws. I’m not going to tell her that now, but yeah, she was envisioning this big party and I just don’t think it will go over well. 
  • Those therapists can do wonders for kids with delayed speech, so it is good they are getting it done now and I bet your niece will be talking up a storm in no time. 
  • kvruns said:
    Those therapists can do wonders for kids with delayed speech, so it is good they are getting it done now and I bet your niece will be talking up a storm in no time. 
    Thank you! 

I think theyre really worries about cognitive delays but hopefully having the therapist in early will help with the speech delays!
  • Thanks everyone! It sucks. 

To answer a few questions: I think last night she was worked up and was taking out her frustrations on me. I’m sure she’s scared and overwhelmed. Definitely doesn’t excuse it and I’m still hurt by how she talked to me. But I don’t feel like she was trying to be manipulative (well I think she was trying to be a little manipulative), I think she is just overwhelmed. From what her H said my niece is having delayed speech (she’s 19 months and doesn’t really say wonders), is having trouble communicating, and not meeting some other milestones she should have at this point. To the point where the doctors recommended having a worker from the county come out and work with her. I think what makes it harder for my sister is that she’s a neuroscientist, and has tried hard to work with her. 

But yeah it doesn’t excuse how she acted but I think she just flew off the handle at me last night. And I did tell her that we can’t know things are going on, and be more sensitive or let things go, if you don’t actually tell us what is going on. And not when you’re yelling at me. So we’ll see. 

And @eileenrob, thats exactly how my H (and I’m pretty sure my mom) feels. Like it doesn’t need to be a big party and that he’s not interested in having a holiday with her in-laws. I’m not going to tell her that now, but yeah, she was envisioning this big party and I just don’t think it will go over well. 
    That's really rough but sometimes things have to change somewhat.

My parents are getting older and live an hour away.   We started to do Christmas at our house last year.   It just made sense.   Luckily everyone gets along so we have my parents and brother plus his BF and MIL and FIL come plus some of my aunts and uncles and cousins.   It works well and now we don't have to tell the kids, "Pick a toy from Santa and get in the car.   We need to make good time."

So to some degree I'm also sympathetic with your sister if her take is to host so they're not going all over the place.