Wedding Woes

Happy Election Day!

Good luck to the mittens!! And let's rejoice that the ads will be OVER.

I've started my Christmas shopping and it's annoying my husband.  Whatever.  I snagged a $50 nerf gun for $25 this morning.  I've got lists going and I'm watching deals.

Re: Happy Election Day!

• GOOD LUCK MITTENS!!  :D 

I am SO GLAD I will be on a plane for most of prime time.  I think our hotel is next to a HyVee, so we can get wine stat once we land.  LOL

I'm as ready as I'll ever be to leave.  Just have to make it to 2:30 and then dad will be here to pick me up shortly after.  

I'm in the worst part of the tattoo healing process...it itches and still hurts a little.  Thankfully I can't reach it, so I'm not tempted to touch it.  ;) 

• You go with your bad self! Better to get it out of the way now then Dec 24th.  Voting after work and then H and I have tickets for The Nutcracker.  I've been trying to eat ww zero point foods since the last 6 days were awful, eating wise.  People were dropping off food left and right and lots of baking items too! There was one night where we had apple pie for dinner.  I'm only human.

• Good luck Kimmi! I've been thinking about you guys as it gets closer and closer to today. 

6 - I've been done with baby B's birthday and Christmas since July & my niece Christmas + April birthday. Gotta get the good deals while you can! 
  • Two hours waiting in line to vote!
  • Two hours waiting in line to vote!
    This is what scares me.  I am thinking of just doing it over on my lunch break since I think most people will be heading around 4:30 or 5 after work....

• I'm nervous about the lines voting. But I'll be glad to see that there's a lot of voters! 

Good luck, Mr. Mitten!! 

Not much new here. We decided not to go to New Orleans because of H's weekend in the hospital. I don't remember what his out of pocket max is so that makes me nervous. Thankfully I didn't book or buy anything! But it's a good thing. This might be the last family Thanksgiving with my mom's side. We're at the point where the kids are having kids, grandma and grandpa have passed and I think they're ready to kind of split off, you know? Which is normal and fine, but selfishly I'm upset because my mom is gone and we won't really do our own holidays. But, such is life. I'm a good cook and baker so hopefully someone will want me. :) 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'm going to vote tonight after work. Thankfully our polls stay open until 9pm. 

I am stressing the fuck out about Thanksgiving. I don't know why I put so much pressure on myself, like everything has to be perfect. I feel that if my veggies are too basic, my dad will judge. WHY do I care!?! It also stresses me out that I can't do much shopping until a few days before. Basically I'm just a giant ball of stress. 
  • edited November 2018
    @climbingwife I completely understand. I also worry about the food being too basic but at the same time, people love it. So why I am I stressing?? I have decided to skip doing a big thanksgiving this year and just give out pies or picnic type baskets. I almost feel bad because, as the token Americans, people are relying on us for thanksgiving and I love hosting but I just think it will be too much with baby this year.

• @climbingwife I completely understand. I also worry about the food being too basic but at the same time, people love it. So why I am I stressing?? I have decided to skip doing a big thanksgiving this year and just give out pies or picnic type baskets. I almost feel bad because, as the token Americans, people are relying on us for thanksgiving and I love hosting but I just think it will be too much with baby this year.

it's completely nonsensical stressing! 

I definitely think you should take this year off! 
  • Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday!  Food, booze and family. My family rents out a place and stays a few nights. My niece is turning 21 while we’re there. I feel like I need some creative bday present......
  • Voted early a couple of weeks ago.
    Good luck Mr. Mitten!
  • Good luck Mr. Mitten!
    H is doing an overnight so I had to bring all three kids with me to vote...we got there around 7 and I only waited about 5 minutes (I usually don’t wait at all so I took that as a good sign).  Kids sort of behaved.  They were excited about their stickers.  Has anyone seen the SNL voting video?  Everyone cautiously/not really believing that the elections will go well? Really nailed how I feel.

@climbingwife I feel that way too sometimes.  I haven’t hosted Thanksgiving (my mother isn’t ready to relinquish it, lol) but with other parties.  Especially when I’m hosting my in-laws.  It always ends up wonderful (I’m sure yours will!) but we put stress on ourselves.
  • 6- what about the makings for a fall type fancy drink? I saw some great drink ideas, like a pecan bourbon drink or some fancy cider cocktails, on Pinterest the other day. 
  • eileenrob said:
    Good luck Mr. Mitten!
    H is doing an overnight so I had to bring all three kids with me to vote...we got there around 7 and I only waited about 5 minutes (I usually don’t wait at all so I took that as a good sign).  Kids sort of behaved.  They were excited about their stickers.  Has anyone seen the SNL voting video?  Everyone cautiously/not really believing that the elections will go well? Really nailed how I feel.

@climbingwife I feel that way too sometimes.  I haven’t hosted Thanksgiving (my mother isn’t ready to relinquish it, lol) but with other parties.  Especially when I’m hosting my in-laws.  It always ends up wonderful (I’m sure yours will!) but we put stress on ourselves.
    Yes, I really do this to myself with every party. But especially one my father attends. He's an amazing chef, and I know he's always judging my food! 
  • We early voted last week so I wish I could have turned off all the ads and stopped all the mailings! Good luck to the mittens today!

We are going to DD's for Thanksgiving this year! DS2 will be coming along. We will actually be eating at her in-laws. We've been there before and it will be fine. I'm actually kind of relieved not to be hosting. Of course that means I'll have to do Christmas decorating early since that is what we normally do Thanksgiving weekend! 
  • 6fsn said:
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday!  Food, booze and family. My family rents out a place and stays a few nights. My niece is turning 21 while we’re there. I feel like I need some creative bday present......
    Advent calendar with mini liquor bottles? I know there are beer and wine calendars available but you could DIY one for her. Or like alcohol, alcohol, tylenol, alcohol, Starbucks/DD card, etc
  • Good Luck Mr. Mitten!  And Good Luck America - we need to get on the right side of history with this election!  I'm praying that at least one chamber flips, so we can stop some of the nonsense coming from the Executive branch. I voted by mail a few weeks ago, so today feels a little anti-climatic for me.  I love going to the voting booth and checking off each button and hitting submit.  But the ease of having the ballot sitting on my kitchen table won out this year!

Last night was good.  H worked late, so I stopped for pizza and then picked up DD.  It was also donut day at school, so they had a table of donuts walking out.  I grabbed two donut holes for DD, for the trip home.  We get home and she asked for more.  I told her the donuts were all done.  She walked over to a bag of tri-colored baby potatoes and started to say more again!  They were similar in size, I will give her that!

H was home early too.  DD was cuddling H just before bedtime, I know he loved it and she missed her Dada!

Tonight is yoga after work and I think I'm going to do some touch up painting.

• kvruns said:
    6fsn said:
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday!  Food, booze and family. My family rents out a place and stays a few nights. My niece is turning 21 while we’re there. I feel like I need some creative bday present......
    Advent calendar with mini liquor bottles? I know there are beer and wine calendars available but you could DIY one for her. Or like alcohol, alcohol, tylenol, alcohol, Starbucks/DD card, etc
    Hmmmm. I’m liking this. Maybe do 21 days of alcohol instead so I can start a tradition with all the nieces and nephews. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2018

I'm more excited about the Mr. Mittens election than anything going on for me locally, lol.  But I will still be doing my civic duty and voting when I get off work.  I live in a super red state, but a super blue city.  So, with the exception of one state seat that is on the ballot, there are zero Republicans running for anything in my district.  Not that a candidate is necessarily "bad" just because they are a Republican, but it's hard not to feel jaded and disillusioned by that party right now.

My H primarily makes Thanksgiving dinner.  It's just us, though we'll often have a few friends drop by later in the day.  He told me he refuses to make a whole turkey this year.  He wants to do a ham, instead.  I vetoed that.  So we compromised on a turkey breast.  I tried to argue that whole turkeys are so dirt cheap near Thanksgiving.  He asked me if I wanted to cook it.  I don't.  Fair enough.  That ended that argument, lol.  He plans to smoke the turkey breast.  I like the yummer sandwiches the next day, even better.

Edited to add:  I just had a better idea!  Though H may not think so (sigh).  There is a fried chicken place right by our house that does fried turkeys, with a few different seasoning choices, for (I think) $40.  By the time I buy a turkey breast and all the wood chips, I'm halfway to that price anyway.

JIC there is anyone out there who is as clueless as I was when I first moved to the South, fried turkeys are not battered.  So they are not like fried chicken, in that way.  They are merely cooked in hot oil.

@missJeanLouise, Mmmmm, thanks for reminding me about apple cider.  I love, love apple cider.  Walmart is my hero because they have a lower sugar apple juice (50% less carbs) that I use as the base. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did mail in ballots that I need to drop off today. 

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday too but I’ll be working this year. I’m trying to figure out logistically if I can host Christmas for 22 people. I stress out a lot but I also like cooking. And I always cook for like 30 people regardless of how many are actually coming because I’m Italian and I don’t know how not to. Lol. It’s more about room and seats in the house. 

I might murder Squish. He kept me up all night. I’m absolutely drained and exhausted. Whatever they gave him at the vet for pain has turned him into a energetic monster. Dude is high as fuck and running around at top speed and (playfully) attacking everything. I was trying to keep him calmer by sleeping alone with him but it didn’t work at all and the end result is now I have to write a paper on like an hour of sleep. And this pain med lasts three days. Lord give me strength. 

• levioosa said:
    We did mail in ballots that I need to drop off today. 

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday too but I’ll be working this year. I’m trying to figure out logistically if I can host Christmas for 22 people. I stress out a lot but I also like cooking. And I always cook for like 30 people regardless of how many are actually coming because I’m Italian and I don’t know how not to. Lol. It’s more about room and seats in the house. 

I might murder Squish. He kept me up all night. I’m absolutely drained and exhausted. Whatever they gave him at the vet for pain has turned him into a energetic monster. Dude is high as fuck and running around at top speed and (playfully) attacking everything. I was trying to keep him calmer by sleeping alone with him but it didn’t work at all and the end result is now I have to write a paper on like an hour of sleep. And this pain med lasts three days. Lord give me strength. 
    Literally me :) our two-bedroom with a sort-of dining room is what makes me nervous when 25-30 people are coming over.  There’s food for at least 40, it’s always the seating!
  • I have it super easy this year.  My parents will be visiting my brother Wed night and he'll probably make them the feast.  Thursday, they will drive to me, since they rented a truck and have a bunch of furniture to give us.  My dad said "we wont be there till 2, so we'll have to find a place that does a thanksgiving dinner"
    "Both our places have working ovens....."
    "lets find somewhere to eat".

I get it. 

• Good Luck, Mr Mitten! 

I am taking Babypants to the polls with me this evening. She has been my "voting assistant" in the three primaries/elections since her birth, and she will be psyched to get my sticker. 

Today is Picture Day at her school - I cannot wait to see how her photo turned out!!!
  • eileenrob said:
    Good luck Mr. Mitten!

Yes, I really do this to myself with every party. But especially one my father attends. He's an amazing chef, and I know he's always judging my food! 
    My MIL isn't as amazing a chef as she thinks she is, so she's always judging anyway. They key is DGAF. ;) But I know that's far easier said than done.

I brought DD to vote at 6:30 this morning since the polling place is the school literally next door and we were both up. Line was pretty long, but not excessive. With all the questions she asks, the amount she remembers of EVERYTHING, and the number of times she's gone, I feel like she'll know exactly the process of voting (and driving a car) by the time she's 6.
  • Are you hosting @flantastic?  Will you make some delicious Thanksgiving style cake that can be put on a beautiful cake stand? 

Happy Tuesday!   Good luck to the Mittens!   I'm going to DD's parent-teacher conference and then heading to vote.   Luckily in our town the waits are not too  long so I can head to the HS and be out in a few minutes.   We have some key races including for governor today.
  • flantasticflantastic member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2018
    banana468 said:
    Are you hosting @flantastic?  Will you make some delicious Thanksgiving style cake that can be put on a beautiful cake stand? 

Happy Tuesday!   Good luck to the Mittens!   I'm going to DD's parent-teacher conference and then heading to vote.   Luckily in our town the waits are not too  long so I can head to the HS and be out in a few minutes.   We have some key races including for governor today.
    LOL yes and no. MIL is hosting, but also not hosting. She asked us all to do the potluck thing, but to choose from the menu she's always had. She literally sent me the recipe for the crockpot punch I'm supposed to make. As DH put it, she wants everything to be the exact same as it always has been, but just not do all the work.

Obviously, my SILs and I are making whatever we damn please in the same vein of whatever we volunteered for. ETA - especially the one, who volunteered for veggie appetizers, and is bringing ones that children will actually eat. Right now there's precious little on the menu that fits that bill.
  • So rather than ask you to just bring an appetizer she's asking you to make the baked brie recipe found on page 62 of the 1964 edition of Joy of Cooking? 

And in the meantime there's a new generation that needs to eat.   

I'm guessing MIL isn't one for mac and cheese.
  • banana468 said:
    Are you hosting @flantastic?  Will you make some delicious Thanksgiving style cake that can be put on a beautiful cake stand? 

LOL yes and no. MIL is hosting, but also not hosting. She asked us all to do the potluck thing, but to choose from the menu she's always had. She literally sent me the recipe for the crockpot punch I'm supposed to make. As DH put it, she wants everything to be the exact same as it always has been, but just not do all the work.

Obviously, my SILs and I are making whatever we damn please in the same vein of whatever we volunteered for.

I once had that happen with a coworker's wife!  We were a small, fairly social office (previous job).  The Big Boss had a great house for entertaining and would throw small get-togethers throughout the year.  He had a 4th of July party.  It wasn't advertised as potluck or anything, but I emailed a note to his wife asking if I could bring anything.

She replied back and asked if I would bring potato salad AND lemonade.  Including the recipes for both of those.

Apparently, she VASTLY overestimated the amount of time I spend cooking/preparing food for anything, lol.  Much less her own party.  I emailed back my apologies that I wasn't comfortable making potato salad because I had never done it...translation: I've never done it because it sounds really time consuming.  But did tell her I could make a great pasta salad and I would bring that.  I also told her I couldn't make the lemonade because I didn't have a juicer....translation: you are nuts if you think I'm going to buy a bushel of lemons and hand squeeze them.

At least she replied back with her thanks.  She also gushed about my pasta salad at the party and asked for the recipe.  I know it sounds plain Jane and boring, but my pasta salad is both simple and pretty stellar, lol.  Not much mayo.  Lots of Italian dressing and some Italian seasonings.  Liberal chunks of tomato, olives, and feta cheese.  Or mozzarella balls.  Sometimes pepperoni or seasoned cubes of chicken breast. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't know how many of you invest in the stock market/mutual funds.  But this article was absolutely fascinating about mid-term elections and their effect on the stock market.

The shortened version.  There have been 18 mid-term elections since 1946.  With all combinations of Presidents and Congress and their parties.  In 18/18 times, the stock market has risen an average of 17% over the next 12 months.  Yes!  Every.Single.Time.  As you all know, I primarily focus my investing on real estate purchases.  But I'm so shocked by this, I'm going to do more research and possibly start some investing in the market again.  Here's a link to the full article:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/opinion-this-is-what’s-happened-to-stocks-after-every-midterm-election-since-world-war-ii/ar-BBPmZiQ?ocid=ientp

Wedding Countdown Ticker