Attire & Accessories Forum

My dress doesn’t fit and I’m getting a new one. What should I do with the old one?

ive been engaged since July of 2016 and we are getting married September of 2019. I got my dress way to early and have gained weight since, it is too tight for alterations to allow it to fit. It is mermaid style and button down so I corset back wouldn’t work either. Do you think there is anything I could do other than losing weight to get it to fit cause that’s not working? Or is there any site/stores that would be good to sell it to to get a fraction of my money back. Spent 1000 on it. I regret it so much and wish I could go back and get either 2 sizes up or wait to get a dress 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Re: My dress doesn’t fit and I’m getting a new one. What should I do with the old one?

• This won't be popular advice, but I would start a new fitness and healthy eating regimen and stick with it for one month. If, after a month, you find that you're on track to lose the weight and are still motivated to continue, then keep the dress.

If it's just too hard and you don't think you can keep it up, sell the dress on eBay and start shopping for another one. But try the healthy regime first for one month before allowing yourself to shop for a new dress.

If you find a dress by March, you should receive it and have time for any alterations by September. 
  • ive been engaged since July of 2016 and we are getting married September of 2019. I got my dress way to early and have gained weight since, it is too tight for alterations to allow it to fit. It is mermaid style and button down so I corset back wouldn’t work either. Do you think there is anything I could do other than losing weight to get it to fit cause that’s not working? Or is there any site/stores that would be good to sell it to to get a fraction of my money back. Spent 1000 on it. I regret it so much and wish I could go back and get either 2 sizes up or wait to get a dress 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️
    I have to agree with @maine7mob.  You have close to a year to lose the weight.  I understand that everyone is different, but for me, a loss of 10-15 pounds causes me to drop 2 or more dress sizes.  That is an extremely realistic weight loss goal over the period of time you have.

The other consideration is that it is much too early to replace the dress, as you may find you continue to gain or even lose weight yet.  Although it is a diet I don’t recommend, nor did I volunteer for it, a stressful past year caused me to lose a good 10 pounds without even trying.  My point is that there is a lot of time yet before you need to rush and make a change either way.  
  • Thanks! I will wait and see if I can lose a little weight. It’s just stressful knowing it doesn’t fit and I started to freak out. Wish me luck 😁
  • You have plenty of time before you need to worry or freak out!  Honestly, eliminating just a few guilty pleasures can sometimes make a difference, paired with walking.  Eliminate "weekend" beverages, add-on's in coffee, or one starch per day.   Make a pledge to yourself not to eat anything after 8:00 PM.  Park farther away when hitting up stores or running other errands.  Take stairs instead of elevators/escalators when possible. 

I am NOT a huge formal exercise person, but I incorporate lots of little things into my day to squeeze in as much as possible.  I work in a school setting so my "step" average is 7-9000 a day alone!  I say these things to encourage rather than guilt, I promise!
  • Good luck! You can do this! If you're not at your healthiest now while you're young, then there is no better time to start. Don't settle for those two extra sizes. They aren't a life sentence and they aren't inevitable. This is in your control and you can totally do it!
  • Just putting it out there that there is nothing wrong with your current size. If you love your dress and want to wear it, have you taken it to a seamstress to get their opinion on potential alterations? If not possible, decide if you would be losing the weight for the right reason. Healthy is possible at every size …
  • I agree with the PP in that there's nothing wrong with your current size.  ONLY YOU can determine if you want to start and maintain a fitness regimen and whatever you do - don't think of it as only to fit into the/a dress because it's something to do because YOU want to maintain a certain level of appearance and lifestyle, never underestimate the power of walking, a fitness change doesn't need to be a major overhaul and unmanageable.  It may not take much of a change (cut some carbs and hike a mile or two a day with FI) to get into the dress you've already purchased, OTOH, without seeing how far off you are, meh - go shopping in a few months unapologetically..  

In regard to the purchase of a replacement dress, know that you will not go without one on your wedding day.  You can literally walk into most bridal shops on a Tuesday and have something to wear that fits the same style you've got fully altered for Saturday (or even that day if you're lucky)..  I'd wait until April/May to go looking for one since you'll have a better idea of what size to get then and that's around when places like David's have their super clearance sales.