Wedding Woes

Happy monday morning

I hate making phone calls, and I"m 4 in this morning.

And I now have a 7:15 PT appt on black Friday.  THAT should be fun.
I had to cancel because my SIL had an emergency appendectomy on Friday, and I was busy being her emergency babysitter (she wanted her husband there with her, the nerve :P)

I am currently penning a FURIOUS email to the hospital.  You know, the one that said 'you should try a thermacare patch' when I herniated a disk and was writhing in pain?
In the interest of an accurate diagnosis I said, that, yes, before the day I went to the ER, I had felt some pain, that I thought was unrelated, but, in retrospect, might be related.
So they said my accident was 2 weeks old.  so insurance is refusing to cover the visit.  never-mind THERE WAS NO FUCKING ACCIDENT.  I just woke up unable to walk.
So the hospital 'reviewed their records' and said to take it up w/ BCBS.

I have to go shopping, to get thanksgiving.  we're hosting for the first time ever, and adulting is hard and expensive yo.

Re: Happy monday morning

• @charlotte989875 She is absolutely precious!!
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2018
    @GBCK, sorry you have to go through this billing/insurance nightmare.  I seriously hate it too.  Hopefully they can get it worked out and soon.
    @shessocold, that's all the news was airing this morning.  The Bears.  It's great that they won and all but the footage I saw (and please, keep in mind that I'm NOT a football fan so hardly ever watch it) they seems a bit cocky after scoring all the what....field goals are they? lol  Or do all players on all teams do that? edit to explain "that": dancing around and doing 'air orchestras'.
    @charlotte989875, love the pure joy on her face. what a cutie!

Weekend was so relaxed and calm for me.  I did nothing on Sunday but cook.  Saturday was pretty much the same.  This weekend will be different with having company over. I agree @GBCK, adulting is expensive.  I have a walmart pick up set for Wednesday for the sides we're having, and all the small charges really did add up!

• GBCK - that sucks! I hope you're able to get it all sorted out! 

Well, I was supposed to have a nice, relaxing long weekend. Instead, thanks to the snow on Thursday, I didn't get home until 11:30pm. 

Friday I got started on my new tattoo! Thankfully my inside bicep did not hurt as much as I anticipated. 

We're hosting Thanksgiving, so the rest of the weekend I spent cleaning like a madwoman. Also, they're started the installation of our siding and new front door this week. Crazy timing! But I'm so happy to have this project starting! 
  • @charlotte989875 She is absolutely precious!!
    Thank you!! She loved seeing the trains. It was snowing too and she thought that was the greatest. 
  • @GBCK, sorry you have to go through this billing/insurance nightmare.  I seriously hate it too.  Hopefully they can get it worked out and soon.
    @shessocold, that's all the news was airing this morning.  The Bears.  It's great that they won and all but the footage I saw (and please, keep in mind that I'm NOT a football fan so hardly ever watch it) they seems a bit cocky after scoring all the what....field goals are they? lol  Or do all players on all teams do that? edit to explain "that": dancing around and doing 'air orchestras'.
    @charlotte989875, love the pure joy on her face. what a cutie!

Weekend was so relaxed and calm for me.  I did nothing on Sunday but cook.  Saturday was pretty much the same.  This weekend will be different with having company over. I agree @GBCK, adulting is expensive.  I have a walmart pick up set for Wednesday for the sides we're having, and all the small charges really did add up!

STUCK - 

After missing two extra points and two field goals last week, yeah, I'm not mad at the field goal celebrations. And this was probably the the most important game (WINNNNNNN) we've had since like 2013 so it's probably more talked about that most games.

Actually celebrations like that are new as of last year - they used to be "unsportsmanlike conduct" and were a 15 yard penalty. They got rid of that last year and I gotta say, I love it. Some of the celebrations are hilarious. 

And you are correct, Charlotte. She is indeed the cutest. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • SSC I've been so confused on when they are allowed to celebrate and when it becomes a flag
  • I didn't do much this weekend.  Binged Pushing Daisies and OMG this show is amazing.  I'm sad it's only 2 seasons.  Did laundry.  Went out to dinner with a friend and saw Boy Erased.  
  • Aw, GBCK that sucks! It's awful you're already hurting, but now you have to deal with the billing bs too.

The weekend....Friday morning we were still going around about whether the tournament was even going to happen.  We pushed our departure time by an hour just in case.  10 am rolls around.  We're all loaded up and ready to back out.  DH turns the key and all we hear is click, click, click.  Shit.

He pushes the van out of the garage and we hook it up to his car.  We get enough charge to get to the local auto store and get it changed.  I have now sunk $1k into this stupid van this month (and I still need wipers).  We're now an hour late picking up our traveling companions and DH is losing his shit.

Travel down was fine with only a few awkward moments trying to communicate. 

Saturday was games.  We lost both.  6let was AWESOME.  I had to get the coach sign off on the final score for the second game. He made a comment that they should have had more goals, but our keeper was exceptional. aaaaaawwwww that's MY kid.

We asked 6let which monument he wanted to see the most and he said the white house.  We told our companions that we were going down if they wanted to go with us.  They declined.  Then the boy translated it wasn't because of the president, but because they were going to try to meet up with friends.  DH said he wouldn't blame them if it was because of the president.

6let loved the metro.  We got to see the white house and the Washington monument. 

Sunday was another loss and a loooooong drive home.  Back to reality today- we leave for Thanksgiving Wednesday! 

DH is off this whole week and already driving me insane. We're booking flights for Disney and he starts to freak about using getting separated on Southwest.  I told him if he doesn't want to fly them he needs to find the alternative because I'm out.

He's buying gift cards.  Dude has taken Calc 3, Differential equations and is a freaking engineer.  He CANNOT figure out the best way to get $1500 in southwest gift cards, $200 in Best Buy gift cards, and $50 in Justice. 

• Oh and for Thanksgiving at MIL's we are taking a Costco pumpkin pie.  DH asked his dad what we are supposed to take to his house.....drumroll please.....a white Costco cake.  We're just getting whatever is in the case.  I really hope it's a kid's birthday style.
  • @ShesSoCold, sounds like a great weekend, all around!  I'm glad you enjoyed the Cannibal Corpse concert.  There are strong rumors the Rolling Stones will be performing at the New Orleans Jazz Fest in 2019.  But the official music line-up won't be announced until Dec. (possibly Jan.).  Here is a link to the article about the Stones at NOLA Jazz Fest rumor:

https://www.nola.com/music/2018/11/are-the-rolling-stones-coming-to-jazz-fest-2019-theres-reason-to-hope.html

@charlotte989875, she's so adorable!  I'm glad your niece liked both the trains and the snow.  So cute.

@banana468, I'm glad the Friendsgiving worked out so well.  That was a lot of people to host! But sounds like you all did an amazing job.

Update on my cat, Nip.  It's long, I have a lot to tell, but the summary is she should have some good years left!  Her vet appointment was Fri. afternoon.  The vet was very surprised to discover she has actually developed diabetes.  He said you typically only see it in young cats, like the Type I version in people.  Or in older cats who have been overweight most of their life (she has not been).

I asked if it was possible if she also had Chronic Renal Failure.  He said it is, especially because of her age, but the bloodwork to test for that is expensive.  They also need a lot of blood for it and it is sometimes hard to get that much.  So, before we do that test, he wants to get her diabetes under control and see how she does.  I was given the impression that we probably won't test for CRF, if her symptoms disappear once the diabetes is under control.  The symptoms for diabetes and CRF, at least in cats, are almost identical to each other.

And damn you Prudie letter with the writer who talked about taking care of her cat's diabetes was over $3K/year, lol.  That was a worry that immediately jumped to my mind and asked the vet how much a vial of insulin for cats is.  It's 100 bucks for a vial that will last her about two months.  NBD.  She doesn't need any labwork done ever.  Just have her blood sugar tested once a day, which I can do myself and uses exactly the same type of equipment that people use.  That's another (maybe) $10/month.  Soooooo, I don't know what that LW was talking about that it is $3K/year about and maybe they need to comparison shop vets and/or pharmacies.

I asked the dreaded question about her life expectancy, considering her age and now the diabetes development.  The good news on that is her diabetes should be very manageable with one shot of insulin per day.  He said he has had diabetic cat patients live for 3-4 more years after diagnosis.

As most of you know, I have Type I diabetes myself.  So at least it is a condition I am already familiar with.  Suffice it to say, I certainly know my way around vials and syringes, lol.  Though I do have to adjust the strength of my "jab".  Cats and dogs have much thicker skin than people.  But, on the bright side of that, my cat doesn't even notice when I give her the insulin shot.  It's more of finding a good moment when she's mellow and will just sit still for 20 seconds, lol.  I know for myself I either don't feel or barely feel a shot, so it is hardly surprising she doesn't either.

On the negative side, I made an offhand comment to the vet that I'll be glad to see her gain some weight back once she is on insulin.  He corrected and warned me that this usually doesn't happen with cats.  They'll just stay the weight they were when they were diagnosed, but at least won't lose more.  Sure wish that had been true for me!  But no, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • And damn you Prudie letter with the writer who talked about taking care of her cat's diabetes was over $3K/year, lol.  That was a worry that immediately jumped to my mind and asked the vet how much a vial of insulin for cats is.  It's 100 bucks for a vial that will last her about two months.  NBD.  She doesn't need any labwork done ever.  Just have her blood sugar tested once a day, which I can do myself and uses exactly the same type of equipment that people use.  That's another (maybe) $10/month.  Soooooo, I don't know what that LW was talking about that it is $3K/year about and maybe they need to comparison shop vets and/or pharmacies.

hmmm I too,  heard it was expensive.  Do you have pet insurance? Maybe LW didn't have that?  But I'm so glad her diagnose can be controlled!

• @ShesSoCold, sounds like a great weekend, all around!  I'm glad you enjoyed the Cannibal Corpse concert.  There are strong rumors the Rolling Stones will be performing at the New Orleans Jazz Fest in 2019.  But the official music line-up won't be announced until Dec. (possibly Jan.).  Here is a link to the article about the Stones at NOLA Jazz Fest rumor:

https://www.nola.com/music/2018/11/are-the-rolling-stones-coming-to-jazz-fest-2019-theres-reason-to-hope.html

@charlotte989875, she's so adorable!  I'm glad your niece liked both the trains and the snow.  So cute.

@banana468, I'm glad the Friendsgiving worked out so well.  That was a lot of people to host! But sounds like you all did an amazing job.

Update on my cat, Nip.  It's long, I have a lot to tell, but the summary is she should have some good years left!  Her vet appointment was Fri. afternoon.  The vet was very surprised to discover she has actually developed diabetes.  He said you typically only see it in young cats, like the Type I version in people.  Or in older cats who have been overweight most of their life (she has not been).

I asked if it was possible if she also had Chronic Renal Failure.  He said it is, especially because of her age, but the bloodwork to test for that is expensive.  They also need a lot of blood for it and it is sometimes hard to get that much.  So, before we do that test, he wants to get her diabetes under control and see how she does.  I was given the impression that we probably won't test for CRF, if her symptoms disappear once the diabetes is under control.  The symptoms for diabetes and CRF, at least in cats, are almost identical to each other.

And damn you Prudie letter with the writer who talked about taking care of her cat's diabetes was over $3K/year, lol.  That was a worry that immediately jumped to my mind and asked the vet how much a vial of insulin for cats is.  It's 100 bucks for a vial that will last her about two months.  NBD.  She doesn't need any labwork done ever.  Just have her blood sugar tested once a day, which I can do myself and uses exactly the same type of equipment that people use.  That's another (maybe) $10/month.  Soooooo, I don't know what that LW was talking about that it is $3K/year about and maybe they need to comparison shop vets and/or pharmacies.

I asked the dreaded question about her life expectancy, considering her age and now the diabetes development.  The good news on that is her diabetes should be very manageable with one shot of insulin per day.  He said he has had diabetic cat patients live for 3-4 more years after diagnosis.

As most of you know, I have Type I diabetes myself.  So at least it is a condition I am already familiar with.  Suffice it to say, I certainly know my way around vials and syringes, lol.  Though I do have to adjust the strength of my "jab".  Cats and dogs have much thicker skin than people.  But, on the bright side of that, my cat doesn't even notice when I give her the insulin shot.  It's more of finding a good moment when she's mellow and will just sit still for 20 seconds, lol.  I know for myself I either don't feel or barely feel a shot, so it is hardly surprising she doesn't either.

On the negative side, I made an offhand comment to the vet that I'll be glad to see her gain some weight back once she is on insulin.  He corrected and warned me that this usually doesn't happen with cats.  They'll just stay the weight they were when they were diagnosed, but at least won't lose more.  Sure wish that had been true for me!  But no, lol. 

Oh I heard. I definitely heard and I am STOKED. I'd be willing to bet they'd do some of their blues-eier stuff that they don't often do for jazz fest. My sister and I are already talking about going. There's supposed to be actual announcements of shows this week and the anticipation is killing me. I've been shitting myself for weeks now. LOL.

I'm so glad she'll be okay! She's lucky to have such a great mom!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

• So, this Thanksgiving, I am grateful for my friends and family who are all polite people, haha. Everyone who RSVP'd to my wedding came to my wedding. Nearly everyone who RSVP'd to my mom and MIL for the shower they hosted for me showed up (only one cancellation, with valid reason). Everyone who RSVP'd to my kid's first birthday party showed up. For that matter, I've never no-showed and in the incredibly rare event I can't make a major commitment, I've notified the host.  It's so easy to just... not be rude, ya know?
    It is. Especially with this new technology called texting!
    I'm just not a phone caller. 

• Can I be petty about T-Day for a minute? 

My MIL insists on hosting every T-Day dinner (in the evening) because it’s the only holiday H’a sister comes to town. Great. We always offer to take something and she will usually say appetizers or snacks. Also great. 

Well this year she emails out a list list of all the sides, desserts, and wine/flowers that she wants and tells us all to pick something from the list. And the list is detailed (re: cranberry sauce—not canned, sautéed  green beans with garlic and pecans). 

So, like, I get it. Hosting is a pain, things are expensive, whatever. But I’m annoyed. She insists on hosting, specifically dinner, but then wants us to not just bring something (which I’m super happy to do!) but to being the very specific things that she wants to have at dinner. And I don’t even know how to bake a pumpkin roll but looks like I have to figure out by Thursday. 
  • edited November 2018
    @GBCK that is some serious bullshit. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that nonsense. Medical billing can seriously be the worst. 

@charlotte989875 OMG at all the cuteness - your niece is super adorable!

Back at work today; Babypants is starting to be her usual self again which is awesome. She woke up in a hilariously chatty & feisty mood this morning - AND ate all her breakfast so I am chalking that up to a major Mom Win. Plus she did not fight me on taking her amoxicillin.

Her school is having a Thanksgiving feast for lunch today so we had to bring in mac & cheese. I discovered that our local grocery store carries Panera mac & cheese in ready-to-heat & eat containers, so we got three of those. I am really hoping that all of the other parents bring in store-bought goods as well. The last thing we need right before Thanksgiving is some kind of crazy food poisoning situation. I'm probably being super paranoid, but I don't really know any of the other parents yet and am wicked apprehensive about eating food prepared by strangers. 

ETA (because somehow I missed your additional post, @charlotte989875) - ugh. that's ridiculous. Are you being expected to bring everything on the list? Or can you pick and choose like 1-3 things? Also no offense, but your MIL has taken entitlement to a whole other level. I get hosting and although it's not how we host, I totally get asking people to bring things, but if you want people to bring green beans, let them bring green beans, but don't dictate precisely how they are to be prepared. Yeesh. 
  • @short+sassy sorry about all that Nip has been going through! You’re a great cat mom :)
    @charlotte989875 your niece is precious! She looks so into the trains. And ugh your MIL. I love when hosts ask for help but I don’t think they can overspecify...if I’m bringing the Mac and cheese I’ll bring it, but don’t start telling me exactly which cheeses to use.

Weekend was nice.  Friday night I went out to dinner with my family- my recently engaged sister and her FI want a low key restaurant reception and as one of the co-MOHs I feel it’s imortant to do that field work with her.  Food was phenomenal and I had one glass of wine over my usual, which was fun.  Saturday was low key. Sunday was the third straight week at mass that the kids were pretty well behaved, I think we’re finally turning a corner. Then we went to the local farmers market so the kids could say goodbye to their favorite vendors, this is the last week of the season.  And took them to a Thanksgiving craft party as well..they had a fun day :) H did too, he went to the Giants game and was happy with the win.

My MIL insists on hosting every T-Day dinner (in the evening) because it’s the only holiday H’a sister comes to town. Great. We always offer to take something and she will usually say appetizers or snacks. Also great. 

Well this year she emails out a list list of all the sides, desserts, and wine/flowers that she wants and tells us all to pick something from the list. And the list is detailed (re: cranberry sauce—not canned, sautéed  green beans with garlic and pecans). 

So, like, I get it. Hosting is a pain, things are expensive, whatever. But I’m annoyed. She insists on hosting, specifically dinner, but then wants us to not just bring something (which I’m super happy to do!) but to being the very specific things that she wants to have at dinner. And I don’t even know how to bake a pumpkin roll but looks like I have to figure out by Thursday. 
    That's so ridiculous! If you insist on hosting, you shouldn't be telling your guests what to bring. Emailing out a detailed list?!?! A pumpkin roll, I think, is hard. See if you can get it at a bakery. 
    What even is a pumpkin roll?

That's so ridiculous! If you insist on hosting, you shouldn't be telling your guests what to bring. Emailing out a detailed list?!?! A pumpkin roll, I think, is hard. See if you can get it at a bakery. 
    It's a pumpkin cake baked as a thin sheet that's rolled up with cream cheese frosting.  

It's like a cake rolled up. so you'd do a pumpkin flavored sheet cake, slather on some icing and roll it up. 

It keeps telling me my comment needs to be approved. ARGH. 

This is a pumpkin roll:
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13731/pumpkin-roll-i/

This looks like a good (easier) alternative:
    http://jensfavoritecookies.com/2013/09/26/pumpkin-roll-bars/
  • And damn you Prudie letter with the writer who talked about taking care of her cat's diabetes was over $3K/year, lol.  That was a worry that immediately jumped to my mind and asked the vet how much a vial of insulin for cats is.  It's 100 bucks for a vial that will last her about two months.  NBD.  She doesn't need any labwork done ever.  Just have her blood sugar tested once a day, which I can do myself and uses exactly the same type of equipment that people use.  That's another (maybe) $10/month.  Soooooo, I don't know what that LW was talking about that it is $3K/year about and maybe they need to comparison shop vets and/or pharmacies.

hmmm I too,  heard it was expensive.  Do you have pet insurance? Maybe LW didn't have that?  But I'm so glad her diagnose can be controlled!

I do not have pet insurance.  It will all be out of pocket.

We do have a pretty mellow, low-cost vet who also doesn't believe in going "whole hog" on expensive medicenes and treatments just to make things fractionally better.  At least that is the vibe I get from him and how he treated our friend's dog, once she started getting up there in age.

For example, my cost for the visit was $120.  Of which, about $100 was the insulin.  The other $20ish was for his fee, plus a couple packs of syringes.  He's a one-man show.  Lots of assumptions here, but he's older and seems quite well-off.  I think he's semi-retired and, nowadays, keeps his practice going because he loves his work. 

So I realize there is some magic for me there.  But still, 3-4x as much?  That still sounds extreme.

And if one is talking about dogs, I could see that being substantially more expensive to treat.  Simply because, they're usually bigger animals than my 10lb. kittie girl!  And bigger means they need a lot more insulin.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love pumpkin roll, but I’d either be buying it or making a pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting. No way I’d be figuring out how to make it today. 
  • MNNEBride said:
    Can I be petty about T-Day for a minute? 

This is a pumpkin roll:

I would get this kind and call it a day: https://www.cbcrabcakes.com/pumpkin-swirl-cake?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm9HsgIjh3gIV2IKzCh0i_AhqEAQYASABEgK4cPD_BwE

You'll end up paying an additional $40 for overnight shipping, but I feel like I would spend that on repeat groceries trying to perfect the damn thing. 
  • It's like a cake rolled up. so you'd do a pumpkin flavored sheet cake, slather on some icing and roll it up. 

It keeps telling me my comment needs to be approved. ARGH. 
    Noooooo...not that again!  I haven't had it happen to me in a long time, but I'll cross my fingers this was a one-off aberration for you and the issue isn't cropping up again.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MNNEBride said:
    Can I be petty about T-Day for a minute? 

This is a pumpkin roll:

I would get this kind and call it a day: https://www.cbcrabcakes.com/pumpkin-swirl-cake?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm9HsgIjh3gIV2IKzCh0i_AhqEAQYASABEgK4cPD_BwE

You'll end up paying an additional $40 for overnight shipping, but I feel like I would spend that on repeat groceries trying to perfect the damn thing. 
    I’m seriously considering if it’s worth it. I have to work Wednesday. And we usually get out early but still. I don’t have time to figure out how to do this. 

I picked flowers, pumpkin roll and (not canned!) cranberry sauce. I just send flowers to their house because I’m not going into Wegmans Thanksgiving morning to pick up fresh flowers. 

Thank you you all for not making me feel like I’m a terrible daughter in law for thinking this is I’m ridiculous (for the record H thinks it’s crazy, too). I love helping out, but I don’t like being told exactly what to bring and what recipe to use.