Wedding Reception Forum

Help Picking Wedding Colors?

So FH and I have finally picked a venue, next is to start deciding on colors. Our venue is both a blessing and a curse when it comes to this. It’s a beach venue with a large indoor carousel for the reception, and the entire interior is decorated in white. It’s great because it’s a complete blank slate, we can decorate however we want, but it definitely makes it harder to narrow down our options lol! I definitely want some influences from the beach, where the ceremony will be, and the season (we are planning for early May 2020). I also adore hydrangeas, and plan to use them as our flowers. I have a tentative color palette, and an idea of which elements will be which color (the colors for the bridesmaid’s dresses and groomsmen’s ties, table settings, etc.), but I’m not sure if there’s too many colors/too much going on that it won’t look cohesive. The first set of pictures show the inside of the venue we picked, it is truly a blank slate! The second set shows the colors I’m picturing, in the places i want to use them (the pale blue ties and gray suits, navy place setting, green dresses). If anyone has suggestions that might make the palette more cohesive, I would love to hear your advice, as the only color I'm completely attached to is the pale blue. Thank you in advance!

Re: Help Picking Wedding Colors?

• So FH and I have finally picked a venue, next is to start deciding on colors. Our venue is both a blessing and a curse when it comes to this. It’s a beach venue with a large indoor carousel for the reception, and the entire interior is decorated in white. It’s great because it’s a complete blank slate, we can decorate however we want, but it definitely makes it harder to narrow down our options lol! I definitely want some influences from the beach, where the ceremony will be, and the season (we are planning for early May 2020). I also adore hydrangeas, and plan to use them as our flowers. I have a tentative color palette, and an idea of which elements will be which color (the colors for the bridesmaid’s dresses and groomsmen’s ties, table settings, etc.), but I’m not sure if there’s too many colors/too much going on that it won’t look cohesive. The first set of pictures show the inside of the venue we picked, it is truly a blank slate! The second set shows the colors I’m picturing, in the places i want to use them (the pale blue ties and gray suits, navy place setting, green dresses). If anyone has suggestions that might make the palette more cohesive, I would love to hear your advice, as the only color I'm completely attached to is the pale blue. Thank you in advance!

I think those colors are awesome and will look great in your venue. However, if I were you, before you get your heart set on anything decor related, make sure you have everything that will affect your guests comfort covered first. People wont remember what kind of flowers or placemats you have if there isn’t enough food or they are being rained on. Once everything else (food, bar, rain plan, chairs, etc) has been sorted then tackle decor. It is so much easier to scale back on flowers than food or other essentials.

If everything is already taken care of, great! I love your inspiration picture but I would put the bridesmaids in grey or blue instead of the green since that is a hard color to pull off. 
  • Agree with putting the maids in something other than green. I would look horrible in that colour and would never wear it again.
  • I love your colors, but you may want to rethink the hydrangeas, as they won't be in bloom in early May (depending on where you live) and this may increase your florist bill significantly.

I love green and look good in it, but it is not as universally flattering a color as a blue shade. People with all skin tones can wear some shade of blue or grey.
  • I agree with PPs about the green. I would use that as an accent color and put your maids in blue.
  • I agree with putting the bridesmaids in blue dresses. I love green and it's one of the colors that looks best on me, but it's not for everyone. 
  • That's a lovely venue and your proposed colors will look beautiful there. Ditto blue dresses for the BMs. If you wanted to include green, you could have them carry bouquets of greenery. 

But also, you're planning so far ahead of time! You may change your mind about decor-related things before then, so be flexible with yourself and maybe don't go too crazy buying decor yet. Your ideas or budget may change, and decor should be lower down on the priority list (after things related to guest comfort).
  • edited November 2018
    My favorite color combo is blue and green. IMO, it works best if one color is dark and one is light, Navy and mint green,  forest green and sky blue etc. I would change the men's suits to navy if the women will be wearing the light green shade you're showing. I would stick with navy and white for the men's accessories, rather than match them with the bm  -too prom-like for my taste.

Also, I love green, looks great with my green eyes and auburn hair. Some people can't wear green though, so clear it with your bm. Consider mixing it up with light green and pale blue for the dresses to  give them a choice. 

If think I recognize your venue. If it's Connecticut, hydrangeas won't be in season for May. Check with your florist for ideas - irises, delphinium, daffodils, tulips, lilacs, and peonies come to mind for spring. Roses and lilies always seem to be available.