Wedding Woes

Happy Monday

How was the weekend?! 

Ours was pretty good.  FIL came over Wednesday and took DefConn home with him.  The kiddo went over there too.  

Thursday, we woke up slowly and kid-free.  It was a lovely morning.  Thanksgiving was low-key and quiet with FIL and MIL's brothers.  

Friday, we went to the Christmas tree farm.  It was ridiculously busy.  But we got our tree.  :)  After that, DH and DefConn went to the HS state finals football game because DH's alma mater was playing (they won).  I stayed home and caught up on all the TV I was behind on.  I had leftovers for dinner and enjoyed being gloriously alone. 

Saturday, we went to the store and bought all the Christmas lights (we had some and had to replace a few strands, we also bought more for additional decorating).  We went to my parent's house for dinner. My mom told me some upsetting bullshit my uncle pulled at my grandma's funeral.  It's not surprising, but the fact that he felt he could dump that on my mom of all people makes me ragey. 

Sunday, we woke up early and started on our lights.  We got all that done by about 2 and then decorated inside the house and the tree.  We watched the Colt squeak out their win against Miami (that was too close and the end of the 2nd quarter was so freaking wild).  After that, it was dinner and trying to click back into work/school/the normal slog. 

Prudie did post a column on thanksgiving, so yay PRUDIE MONDAY!  :D 

Re: Happy Monday

• Wednesday we went to the woods with my family.  We hiked and drank and laughed. A LOT. I stayed up until almost 3 am and slept on a camp bunk bed so Thursday was awesome.

Thursday we went to MILs.  I laughed because she commented she made it easy on the menu "this year." It's the same thing she's served for 15 years- dry turkey, jar of gravy, box of Stove top, canned green beans in the crock pot (for 6 hrs), and microwaved Bob Evans Mashed potatoes (ok, these used to be box scalloped potatoes). 

She also made a comment about how there is too much football in the house and blamed her husband.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. He had the tv on a game nice and loud in the family room, but she also had it on in the kitchen.  If you don't like it TURN IT OFF.

SIL got in loud stupid fights with her kids.  Then she started on these rants about stressing out going house to house for the holidays and this Christmas she's staying home. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. She's given us shit for 10 years because we stay home on Christmas day. 

I'm sad for her daughter.  She's a senior.  My other niece is also a senior.  We had been having a big conversation about where she's been accepted, where she's waiting to hear from, what she wants to study, what her scholarships look like.  So I asked other niece about her post high school plans. "I'm taking a year off.  I didn't know how to apply for colleges and aid and nobody helped me so I missed the boat."  She's a smart kid who wants to have a career in criminology.  I'm afraid this year is going to end up being a lifetime. 

The kids were supposed to go to FILs Thursday to Saturday, but sMIL landed in the ED so plans got cancelled.  Yesterday we saw Santa and the zoo lights.  Today they still don't have school.  I need them out of my house, but the weather is nasty.  Max doesn't even have school tomorrow.  I might cry.

• Weekend was fine. Thanksgiving sucked; my parents insisted on not waiting for us to get to my sisters before eating, then my Dad decided to tell sister and I that he changed beneficiaries on all his stock options from my Mom to us (and he actually did it and gave us the paperwork) without telling my Mom. So much for a nice family dinner. 

We also got our tree Friday before H left for hunting. He’s gone until Wednesday so it’s just me, the cat, and the dog. The cat has already drank out of the tree base more times than I can count. 

Friday sis and I went to see Hamilton and it was great! It was my second time and it didn’t lose any of the magic.

Saturday I went to the Worlds Largest Disco, which was super fun. But I woke up yesterday with a cold. Back at work for a busy week and I’m dragging. 

Here is Charlotte the cat meeting our first real Christmas tree. All the good vibes it’s still standing when I get home tonight. 

• 6 - I feel so badly for your other niece. I hope she doesn't just give up on this year, if nothing else apply to a commuter school or community college to get things started. And I wouldn't think it is completely too late anyway??
  • 6 I’m sorry about your niece; it’s sefini not too late to apply if she really wants to. 

A gap gap year can be great for students if they use it correctly (working in a field their interested in, volunteering, living abroad and working, etc), but it can also go pretty poorly if they don’t have a focus and a plan. 
  • ooooh kvruns he's adorable!!!!

I know I shouldn't compare my two nieces, but they are only 2 weeks apart in age so it's a very stark contrast.  This is not going to be a gap year that goes well.  DH works at a major university and has offered to get her a good tour.  Another uncle works at another major university and has offered that too.  An aunt works in admissions for a community college and has tried to talk to her and her parents and they won't listen.  Niece has two older brothers- oldest was going to be an rn, got his CRN and knocked up his 16 yo girlfriend.  They have a second baby now.  He never got the rn and complains over and over because he works 3-12 hr shifts a week he's SO TIRED he can't do anything else.  The other brother took a "gap year" and now works in a factory. 

• We had some snow dump on us overnight, but I didn't want to work from home so I managed to get out of my driveway (the people I hire apparently plow AFTER it snows, not during.  fine).  Mostly because I needed to get out of the house, but also I knew no one would make it into work and it would be quiet.  I was right. I live for the days my coworkers in my dept don't come in.  But I am just prolonging her complaining until tomorrow now.  I'll hear ALL about the snow and what she had to go through tomorrow. 

Weekend was alright. I was wfh on Wednesday.  Didn't touch foot in a store, but ordered some clothes for me online.  And it's not amazon prime speed so to me, it's like 100 days of shipping. Man did I get spoiled. 

Full work week. booo. 

• I don't have Prime anymore and they're regular free shipping is ridiculous. I ordered a bunch of stuff for a friend's toy drive 11/12 and it is finally supposed to arrive today. Although the area got snow so who knows if it will be delayed or not. Nearly 2 weeks to ship, really??
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2018
    @kvruns that is a long time, even for regular shipping! I think it's usually 5 days, no?

It's also cyber Monday but everyone has been having online sales on since Wednesday.  Nonetheless, any one stumble upon any good deals yet?
    edit for:  Macy's said it was going to ship part of my order on Thursday, but I got an email saying it was today.  Not that bad actually!

• Yep! I think it says 5-9 business days which it is technically in that range with the holiday but it still seems crazy
  • I've never been happy for a holiday weekend to be over before, but this year I am. Somehow the holiday was a letdown.

It's not even because anything really bad happened other than my football teams losing, but I felt depressed (not clinically, just sad). Last night I did some online shopping in the hopes of picking up my spirits, but even then (with the exception of a charitable contribution) I felt like I was wasting time and money.
  • @CharmedPam, "a full work week" is exactly why I'm feeling grumpy today.  It will be exactly 4 full work weeks before I have a 4-day weekend again, lol.

@mrsconn23, I was so excited when I first logged into WW and saw there was a Prudie Mon.  Thanks for the bright spot on my otherwise dreary "back to work" day, lol.

@charlotte989875, Charlotte looks like she is already stalking the tree and just waiting for you to leave, lol.

@6fsn, your MIL makes TG dinner like I do.  I like it that way, lol!  With the exception of the dry turkey.  My H cooks the turkey and it usually comes out awesome.  It definitely did this year.  Juicy and delicious.  And it's also just the two of us.  If we were cooking for other people, I'd do more homemade sides.  But not the stuffing.  Don't take away my Stove Top, lol.

I spent a fortune on Black Friday deals.  BUT, 80-90% of the money spent was replacing hated items and/or are on their last legs. 

• Bought our couch in a rush a few years ago.  Went too cheap and had buyer's remorse immediately.  Example, the couch cushions don't even lift up.  It sounds like that would be a minor inconvenience.  It is actually really annoying.  But bought a new couch at Sam's Club!  Recliner on both ends with a flip down console in the middle.  That can be flipped back up to make it a normal couch.  That is a surprisingly difficult feature to find, unless you start getting into the $1500-$2000 range.  However, Sam's Club has one that is normally $600, but was on sale for $500 over the weekend.  Cha-ching!
    • Bought my laptop about 6 years ago.  Online.  Had not tested it out in a store first.  Huge mistake.  I hate the mouse design, but have put up with it for all these years.  And now.  The very mouse I've always hated is starting to fail, smh.  My H and I went to Best Buy where I tested out a few laptops.  Found an HP I liked, but they were sold out.  No worries.  Found it even cheaper on Amazon for only $469!  And, features-wise, it's not even a "cheapie, low-end" laptop.
    • This one is hilarious.  In Jan., during a rare multi-day freeze, the 5-9 buttons on our microwave permanently gave out.  We thought about replacing it but said, "Nah!  We mostly only use 0-4 anyway."  And, as if our poor microwave knew it was Black Friday goodness, she told us Fri. morning, "I've chugged along for almost another year, but just can't keep fighting anymore.  Go!  Go now!  Find my replacement while the deals are hot."  And the 0-4 buttons stopped working also.  Found a good replacement at Target.  Normally $99, on sale for $74.  Plus I got a 20% off my entire purchase coupon, to use later this week.  Unfortunately, it does not come until this Fri.  But the pre-set buttons, ie popcorn/dinner plate/etc., still work so we can make do with that until the new one arrives.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6–I’m sorry about your niece. She can  probably still apply if she wants. 

Charlotte—that is some shitty thanksgiving news. Not really the time or place to do it either.

I worked on Thanksgiving. I unexpectedly came home to FBIL #2 spending the night after I worked a 13 hour shift. It was just too much without FSIL and her fiancé as a buffer. I couldn’t relax and he was in a weird mood. He’s still trying to tell everyone his dui was just hypoglycemia and I’m like uh huh sure. That’s why you called FSIL at 9 am asking her to meet you at your old hometown dive bar. Plus he’s super judgmental, so I didn’t even feel like I could enjoy my thanksgiving dinner I “made.” I hadn’t eaten all day so I was starving. He and FI ate dinner earlier so it was like a second late dinner for them. And the whole time he’s loudly proclaiming, “this is so many carbs. I don’t eat like this. This is too many carbs to eat.” It just made me really uncomfortable and self conscious so I didn’t even eat enough dinner. 

On Saturday I went out with FSIL and her fiancé for dinner and drinks then they came back and spent the night. We always have a lot of fun, but I’m getting really tired of how destructive they are when they’ve been drinking. FBIL has broken four chairs now, they’ve spilled drinks on the carpets, apparently using coasters on the wood nightstands is a foreign concept, and they spilled alcohol all over the marble countertop in the kitchen and didn’t wipe it up, so it ate the finish. I love them and I really do like having them over, but jfc, have some fucking respect for people’s things. 

Last official day of clinic today. I might go a few extra days this month, but we’ll see. Taking a break is always nice. 

• Yikes levioosa I'd be ready to have guests gone too! How old are these people - that seems like terrible behavior in someone else's house?! Not that age matters because if you're old enough to drink you're old enough to know how to act
  • Oh lord Levioosa, what a bunch of bad behavior and FBIL#2 is a dick.  Bad houseguests are the worst and so exhausting. 
  • @kvruns squeee with the cuteness overload!!!

@levioosa HFS that really sucks. Bad guests are the worst. Even Babypants uses a coaster and she's almost 16 months. I will never understand grown-ass adults who don't know/don't care to use a coaster. 

Thanksgiving was stressful. We went to see my dad in the morning, which I am glad we did. But it was difficult to see him in the state he's in - and plus his MS has made his appetite wane significantly, so he is growing increasingly more frail. Then to my in-laws for dinner, which was not great and there wasn't a whole lot of food. Luckily we had gotten Chinese delivery the night before so as soon as Babypants went to bed, we popped the leftovers in the oven.

Friday my parents' water heater died, but my mom had to work so H won the Son-In-Law-Of-The-Year Award for going down to their house to wait for the plumber and hang out until the new water heater was installed. 

• @VarunaTT, I'm glad all your days off were, overall, so great and relaxing!  Sorry to hear about K's nursing school mentor.

I had my own negative flashbacks from your church story.  I dated a guy for two years and his mom was always offended that I wouldn't take communion in their CATHOLIC church.  I tried to explain to her so many times that it wasn't ME.  I was being respectful of Catholic rules that I can't receive communion in their church if I'm not Catholic.  The irony was never lost on me that I didn't mind in the slightest taking communion in any church.  It would have been so easy for me to have just gone up and had communion.  But I'm not going to disrespect her church's rules...even though she, uhhhh, wanted me to disrespect their rules.  Huh?

And that's just never mind she shouldn't have pressured anyone to begin with.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @CharmedPam, "a full work week" is exactly why I'm feeling grumpy today.  It will be exactly 4 full work weeks before I have a 4-day weekend again, lol.

@mrsconn23, I was so excited when I first logged into WW and saw there was a Prudie Mon.  Thanks for the bright spot on my otherwise dreary "back to work" day, lol.

@charlotte989875, Charlotte looks like she is already stalking the tree and just waiting for you to leave, lol.

@6fsn, your MIL makes TG dinner like I do.  I like it that way, lol!  With the exception of the dry turkey.  My H cooks the turkey and it usually comes out awesome.  It definitely did this year.  Juicy and delicious.  And it's also just the two of us.  If we were cooking for other people, I'd do more homemade sides.  But not the stuffing.  Don't take away my Stove Top, lol.

I spent a fortune on Black Friday deals.  BUT, 80-90% of the money spent was replacing hated items and/or are on their last legs. 

• Bought our couch in a rush a few years ago.  Went too cheap and had buyer's remorse immediately.  Example, the couch cushions don't even lift up.  It sounds like that would be a minor inconvenience.  It is actually really annoying.  But bought a new couch at Sam's Club!  Recliner on both ends with a flip down console in the middle.  That can be flipped back up to make it a normal couch.  That is a surprisingly difficult feature to find, unless you start getting into the $1500-$2000 range.  However, Sam's Club has one that is normally $600, but was on sale for $500 over the weekend.  Cha-ching!
    • Bought my laptop about 6 years ago.  Online.  Had not tested it out in a store first.  Huge mistake.  I hate the mouse design, but have put up with it for all these years.  And now.  The very mouse I've always hated is starting to fail, smh.  My H and I went to Best Buy where I tested out a few laptops.  Found an HP I liked, but they were sold out.  No worries.  Found it even cheaper on Amazon for only $469!  And, features-wise, it's not even a "cheapie, low-end" laptop.
    • This one is hilarious.  In Jan., during a rare multi-day freeze, the 5-9 buttons on our microwave permanently gave out.  We thought about replacing it but said, "Nah!  We mostly only use 0-4 anyway."  And, as if our poor microwave knew it was Black Friday goodness, she told us Fri. morning, "I've chugged along for almost another year, but just can't keep fighting anymore.  Go!  Go now!  Find my replacement while the deals are hot."  And the 0-4 buttons stopped working also.  Found a good replacement at Target.  Normally $99, on sale for $74.  Plus I got a 20% off my entire purchase coupon, to use later this week.  Unfortunately, it does not come until this Fri.  But the pre-set buttons, ie popcorn/dinner plate/etc., still work so we can make do with that until the new one arrives.
    I’m a little worried about what I might come home to tonight! 
  • Hi Ladies. Glad everyone got some much needed rest over the holiday. The first day back is rough. No mid-afternoon nap today. Boo
  • What a cutie @kvruns!  Ugh that sounds awful @levioosa , sorry about your dad’s announcement and its timing @charlotte989875...sending good vibes @sparklepants41

Thanksgiving was really nice.  Food was phenomenal and it was great catching up with family.  I took down all of the autumn decorations Saturday and just put up the Nativity set yesterday.  My kids are on the verge of becoming super into presents and I thought I’d wait a week for the tree, etc.  I’m not even a super religious person but I wanted to try and set the tone a bit. This all coming from someone who adores the hype and decorations of Christmas  :D I’m about done with my gift shopping- anyone else a touch underwhelmed by the sales this weekend?

• We had a nice weekend at DD's. DS2 didn't make it to Chicago though because he came down with a stomach but and didn't want to get anyone else sick. I felt bad that he spent Thanksgiving alone. I did no shopping at all on Friday. Just hung out with the babies. DD had to work. We came home on Saturday so we beat the storm that hit yesterday up that way.

Yesterday, H put up our outside Christmas lights, and today we did the Christmas tree. Every year we have to move a chair so we can put our tree up. We really like having a chair in the place where we move the chair. We always say we should buy a chair for that spot but never do. So I'm sitting here looking at the chair thinking I really should buy a chair for that spot!! Lol after 20 years I think I can do without it.

Tomorrow we are headed out to see DS1 and DIL for a couple of days. His birthday was Saturday.

I did a little bit of shopping this morning for cyber Monday but not much. Bought DD a Christmas present. I need to start wrapping presents now! 
  • Shoot.  I placed a kohls order and just realized I didn't enter the promo codes. I saw just the free shipping.  It's a matter of $20 difference.  I'm on hold trying to get a price adjustment because it's too late to cancel.  If it takes more than 5 minutes on hold or they won't give me an adjustment I'm going to just reorder the whole thing.
  • eileenrob said:
    What a cutie @kvruns!  Ugh that sounds awful @levioosa , sorry about your dad’s announcement and its timing @charlotte989875...sending good vibes @sparklepants41

Thanksgiving was really nice.  Food was phenomenal and it was great catching up with family.  I took down all of the autumn decorations Saturday and just put up the Nativity set yesterday.  My kids are on the verge of becoming super into presents and I thought I’d wait a week for the tree, etc.  I’m not even a super religious person but I wanted to try and set the tone a bit. This all coming from someone who adores the hype and decorations of Christmas  :D I’m about done with my gift shopping- anyone else a touch underwhelmed by the sales this weekend?

Overwhelmed by the ads.  Still overwhelmed by the "Cyber Monday" ads, lol.

What is it now?  Black Friday...that really starts on TG nowadays.  Black Friday/Cyber Monday...with ads claiming last week they "started early".  Saturday is Small Business Saturday.

I'm going to claim the Sunday after TG as "Start a Job Search Sunday".  As a motivational day for people to find part-time and/or better jobs to pay for all the stuff just purchased and about to be purchased on Cyber Monday, lol.

And I'm also underwhelmed by the sales.  But I always am.  If it's not a clearance, going out of business type of price...I'm just not impressed, lol.  With that said, I saved about $180 on stuff I needed to buy anyway.  So, at least it is something. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • eileenrob said:
    What a cutie @kvruns!  Ugh that sounds awful @levioosa , sorry about your dad’s announcement and its timing @charlotte989875...sending good vibes @sparklepants41

I didn't set foot in a store, so I can't vouch for that.  But the online sales suck.  My favorite cosmetics brand (thrive) had $5 off of $50, $10 off of $75, etc. etc.  So basically your year round sales I could get codes for.....?

• It depended on what I wanted if I liked the sale.

-Macy's had a great sale on dresses.  I got Chiquita's dress for $32 and it's black velvet and red satin and she'll look super cute in it for the holidays.
    -Boots for Chiquita I also found at Macy's for the snow for under $40.

But Zappos had a sale I checked out first for Sorel and their kid sizes were still over $80.  Sorry kiddo but I'm not spending near $100 on winter boots for you when you're going to outgrow them soon.   

I love Hanna Andersson and their pajamas are GREAT.   They're expensive but I find that the quality can't be beat and my kids live in them.   They were $25 a pair and I grabbed them for my niece and two nephews as an early Christmas gift. 

Other than that we didn't really dive into other sales but I'm super bummed I didn't pull the trigger on a J.Crew top this morning since it's now out of stock. 
  • Waited 25 mins for customer service. I spoke to someone who said "let me put you on a brief hold while I look into this." 20 minutes later I was hung up on.  I called back and waited another 25 mins.  The music stopped and I got static.  As I was about to hang up I got "thank you for choosing to participate in our customer satisfaction survey"

I placed the exact order a second time and will return the first order. 

• eileenrob said:

I didn't set foot in a store, so I can't vouch for that.  But the online sales suck.  My favorite cosmetics brand (thrive) had $5 off of $50, $10 off of $75, etc. etc.  So basically your year round sales I could get codes for.....?
    Yes I’m referring to online shopping too, I didn’t go into any physical stores.  Im on the “insider perks” emails or whatever you want to call them so Year-round I get pretty good coupons.  I didn’t shop there but for example the Gap was like 60% off your entire order. I like things like that.  “Buy three and get three free” or “spend $50 and qualify for free shipping” doesn’t impress me, lol.