Wedding Invitations & Paper

Single Parents, Children, and Guest

We have several guests who are single parents. We want to allow the parent to bring their children and a date. I am not sure how to word it on the invitation. 

Option One: (mother with different last name from child)
Ms. Jane Smith and Guest 
Joe Brown

Option Two: 
Ms. Jane Smith and Guest 
Mr. Joe Brown

Option Three: 
Ms. Jane Smith and Family 

The biggest concern with option 3 is that some if we put just and family that the guest will then think they can bring their child as well. One of our guests we are having this problem with has a son and her boyfriend which would be her plus one also has a child, but we do not know the boyfriend's child so we do not want to invite the boyfriend's child. 

Please help! 

Re: Single Parents, Children, and Guest

• I'd go with option 2. I agree that option 3 is a little too vague. 
  • I wouldn't go with option 3 either.

But did want to point out that "Plus One" and a "Significant Other (SO)" are not the same thing.  An SO is someone your invited guest considers themselves to be in a romantic relationship with.  And that person should be invited, by name, on the "main" guest's invite.

A Plus One is for a truly single guest who is being given the option to invite whomever they wish to the wedding.  An "and Guest" is fine for those invites.

For example, your friend who has the b/f has an SO, who should be addressed on the invite by his name.  You do not need to invite his child.  Their invite should read something like:

Jane Smith and John Doe 
    Joe Brown

I'm not sure if a child on an invite should be addressed with a Mr./Miss/Ms. or not.  I usually don't use titles, but maybe that's poor etiquette, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2018
    She has only been seeing the guy for about a month so I am not sure how serious their relationship is. Some of the other guests with this same issue I have no clue if they are in a relationship or not.
  • She has only been seeing the guy for about a month so I am not sure how serious their relationship is. Some of the other guests with this same issue I have no clue if they are in a relationship or not.
    It doesn’t matter how “serious” it is! If they are dating he is her SO and needs to be invited by name! 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • I agree with what PPs have said about plus ones vs. significant others. This is what got you in trouble on your other post. 

As for a point of etiquette with titles, a young girl is addressed as"Miss" and a young boy is addressed as "Master". This is very traditional and probably very seldom used now. I would probably just put their names below their parent's name.
  • She has only been seeing the guy for about a month so I am not sure how serious their relationship is. Some of the other guests with this same issue I have no clue if they are in a relationship or not.
    It is none of your business how serious their relationship is. She considers him a boyfriend, so you have to treat him like a s/o and include his name.

• If your other post is correct, you're getting married in like 2 weeks. Are you just now sending invitations?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • If one of your guests considers themselves to be in a relationship, you invite their SO. Full stop. You don't get to determine how serious the relationship is. If you are unsure, contact the person. It's really that simple.