Wedding Woes

Monday, Monday, Monday!

How was the weekend? How's the week looking?

Weekend was great.  Friday I had a note home from the gifted director at 6let's school.  She wanted to let me know how great he's doing in math- he's got an interesting way of thinking and she challenges her. 

Saturday was rainy and GROSS!  I took M2 and Max to a bday party and DH took 6let to futsal.  We met up for his 2nd game.  The second game was against his Team 1 outdoor soccer team (he's team 2).  The kid got drilled.  I was closing my eyes, biting my fingers, and generally cringing at it all. The dad next to me was laughing at me.  6let lost 14-6. He took a BEATING diving on hardwoods for 2 games. 

Sunday I had a text from the coach of Team 1 saying he was "VERY impressed with the way (6let) played yesterday.  He was absolutely amazing in goal. He has had a fantastic year so far. He has improved a lot in a short amount of time. And every GK takes a whomping in Futsal!"  6let was BEAMING ear to ear when I showed him.  I'm pretty damn proud of the kid too.  Now I just need to make sure he doesn't take a head shot and ruin the brain.

Last night I pulled out all the Christmas gifts, made lists, and did a bunch of wrapping.  I placed the last order that will take care of Christmas for everyone (including teachers) and Max's bday.  I need to wait for bows because one of my dumbass cats eats them.  Makes for an interesting litter box.

Tonight I have cards, tomorrow night Advent by Candlelight at church, Friday the first of DH's Christmas parties.  Saturday 2 bday parties. Woohooo!!!!!

Re: Monday, Monday, Monday!

• Blah. How is it Monday already? 

Friday I went to the gym, then home. Ate dinner, caught up on some shows. 

Saturday I got my roots touched up, then got my nails done. Cleaned the house. I had wanted to put the tree up, but I didn't have much energy. Also it poured most afternoon/evening. 

Sunday we had H's sailing awards luncheon. Usually they have a HUGE spread, with brunch type foods, tons of pastries and desserts. This year it was scaled way back. Veggies, potatoes, chicken, ham. Salad with way too much dressing. It was a big disappointment, especially because it still cost the same amount of money! 
  • LOL at your cat and the bows. Way to go, 6let! He sounds like such an awesome kid.

I had a nice quiet weekend. Didn't get as much done as I'd hoped but we relaxed a lot and we needed that. 

My jewelry has to go in every 6 months for a checkup. My tennis bracelet (which I have probably only worn once since its last checkup) and wedding ring have loose stones. Super frustrating. 

On Friday, I finally found shoes for work that don't look like my grandma's. But, I found them cheaper at Famous Footwear and I need a second pair of shoes anyway (and they have BOGO 1/2 off right now). So I'll get a pair of Bobs/Toms/whatever for like $10. 

So, tonight after work, I have to drive passed my house to return shoes, buy new shoes, pick up my jewelry and grab some swordfish for dinner. Ugh I'm already tired. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Ugh that’s annoying about the spread @climbingwife!
    Weekend was really nice.  Friday night tree lighting at my school, Saturday was our 25 days of Christmas books kickoff as well as a Polar Express train ride, yesterday was downtime.  Nothing too crazy going on this week which is nice.
  • Ugh that does suck, climbing. I'd be so disappointed.

I wanted to bitch about this for a sec. We've had shit ass weather here. We got 8ish inches of snow last week, then it warmed up and we had rain most of the weekend and most everything melted. So it's wet and muddy and gross as shit. This morning it's below freezing and snowing a bit. Driving is fine, stopping is not.

The guy in front of me got cut off by a freaking school bus pulling out of a subdivision onto a main road (speed limit is 55) and immediately stopped to pick up a kid. I nearly slid into the guy in front of me because we had to stop so quickly for this fucking bus. As I'm pulling onto the shoulder to avoid hitting him, I start to panic about the kids the bus is picking up - what if I slide into them?!?! Thankfully I did stop without hitting anyone but FFS! A BUS?! C'mon. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Weekend was good but seemed to go way too fast. Friday we helped a friend move & watched some of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, which is hilarious. 

Saturday was house stuff and my mom stopped by. H and I went to dinner then to see Fantastic Beasts. No spoilers, but I’ll say I did really like it, but some of it deviates a lot from the books. All in all it was good but I wanted more detail. 

Sunday my sister came over over with her H and my niece! It’s the first time they’ve been to the house and it was great. My niece did really well with the cat and the dog, and was super excited when Daniel Tiger was also on the tv at our house. 

• It's snowing.  Ugh.  At least it's warm enough to not stick. 

Definitely having a case of the Mondays. 

Weekend was pretty good.  Friday, we took DefConn to my sister's and went to Costco to get stuff and start Christmas shopping for him. 

Saturday, DH power-cleaned our bathrooms (they were funky).  I went to the store for the stuff we don't get from Costco.  We went to my sister's MIL's surprise 60th bday party (she had no idea and her reaction was so sweet) and then to our friend's ugly sweater party.  I didn't bring a white elephant, but she had an extra.  I won a sweet magnetic dress-up Jesus book.  It's amazing and yes, I've been styling Jesus daily.  ;) 

Sunday, I decided to go out and get over the hump of starting Christmas shopping.  The dollar store is the best place to get boxes and tissue. I like higher quality wrapping paper, but boxes and tissue are pretty standard anywhere. I got my nephews mostly out of the way.  Just need a few fill-in items for a couple of them.  I've also got DefConn over halfway done.  I got home in time to see the Colts blow it and then did some baking and meal prep stuff.   Last night I wrapped almost everything I have so far.  
  • Friday was DH's birthday.  We went out to dinner at a favorite place and it was OK but not as good as usual.  Neither of us could put our finger on what was missing.  

Saturday, I had a continuing ed conference at work.  We had a winter storm warning Saturday noon until Sunday at noon.  The weather was fine as I headed out at 8:30 AM.  I was able to park in a covered ramp which was good.  The conference organizers proposed a working lunch so we could get out early and that worked great.  We were actually done almost 2 hours early.  The snow had started at noon and I left the ramp about 2:30.  Roads were somewhat plowed and I got home fine with only one sliding incident.

We ended up with about 8" of heavy wet snow.  Sunday we stayed home, watched football (both teams lost) and went out to clear off DH's car mid-afternoon.  I was also able to get a Christmas list from him so I can start shopping.  I'm about 1/2 way done with everyone else.  
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2018
    That is a bummer about the food spread @climbingwife. Especially if it's the same cost?
    @6fsn, be proud of that boy! 

Friday I stayed in.  Reorganized my sock drawer and now I only have unholy matched up socks.  It's the best feeling in the world.  Also, realized how pathetic that was being the highlight of my night.

Saturday was a wedding of a family friend.  I'm pro winter wedding now.  It was absolutely beautiful.  It's only 1/2 hour from me so my plan was to drive there, uber it back, and have H drive me back in the morning since he couldn't make it and had to work anyway.  Turned out he made the after party and my Dad ended up getting us a room at the hotel.  I had absolutely nothing on me and had to wear my fancy clothes the next morning, but no one really saw me anyway.  Just the groom's sister in law and she knew the situation (I was talking to her when my Dad came up with my hotel key).  It was probably one of the better weddings I have been to, but canceled our Sunday night theater tickets because I was kinda sorta hung over.

Today is only a good day for me because of my plentiful deliveries I'm waiting on.  FINALLY getting a kitchen cabinet delivered.  I have food out everywhere on the dining room table and it's annoying. H is home so he can put it together.  I hope.

eta: This was the wedding with the dreaded 2ish hour gap.  But we found out that the father of the bride WAS hosting an app/cocktail hour at the hotel in between so it worked out well. 

• Good job, 6let!

I’d be annoyed too, Climbing wife.

I am exhausted. This weekend was mostly good. I worked on Saturday and then FSIL and FBIL, FI and I went to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants and then we walked around to look at the local Christmas lights exhibit. I stupidly wore heels (I never wear heels anymore) and my feet were killinggggg me. So it looks like I’ll be torturing my feet at least a few times a week through the end of the month so I can wear heels at FI’s work Christmas party and then New Year’s without looking like a hobbled goat. 

Last night FBIL, FSIL and I went and got some drinks and then went Christmas shopping. It was a lot of fun. The only downside to this weekend was that FSIL got one of her new migraines in the middle of the night. I’m worried about them. She was managed so poorly at her doctor appointment and the doctor didn’t even do a full neurological exam. Just “oh, you’re a woman! You must be stressed, right? You eat chocolate and drink wine? You’re making these happen!” And then the doctor gave her an inappropriate medication for her symptoms and ignored her red flag symptoms. She needs an MRI. But she’s never going to get one with Kaiser. At least not anytime soon, and not until she makes a big deal about it. I can order one at a cash pay place nearby for $250, but it’s absurd she can’t get appropriate care when she already pays for insurance. Rant over. 

• Weekend was pretty good. The holiday home tour went well - the weather co-operated so that the people weren't walking in rain between the homes. I finished both of the twins' stockings!!! Last night I wrapped the presents that I have so far. I am waiting on a few more things to arrive. I have bought just about everything except for H's gift - have no idea what to get him! The only thing I didn't get done this weekend was cleaning the house! 

The Christmas party we went to Saturday had the most amazing food! It was catered and was awesome. We saw some people we hadn't seen in a really long time so that was a lot of fun. 

Tonight I have a gal's night out from church. That is always a fun time - snacks and wine.

H is off doing a Costco run. I just got back from the gym and dropping off stuff at Goodwill.
  • Picked up kitchen cabinets for the rental reno on Friday.  Had a yummy dinner at a casual place after that.

Not much else for the rest of the weekend.  Though we did shave down the dog.  Sometimes we take her to the groomers.  They do a much better and closer job than we do, lol.  But you have to book appointments 1-2 weeks in advance and I kept forgetting to do it.  So we finally broke down and DIY'ed it.  It's always so funny how much smaller she looks once some of the "unruly" fur has been removed.  She doesn't even have curly or long fur.  But it's natural state is coarse, medium length, and a little wavy.

I had some money trickle in the last few days and spent some of the morning reorganizing finances and paying bills.  AND I need to go to the bank at lunch for some cash.  I'm already plotting which branch I'm going to based on where I want to pick-up lunch from, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats 6let! @climbingwife, that is annoying that you got so much less for lunch but were charged the same amount.

This weekend a friend of mine was in a community theater performance of Miracle on 34th Street, so I went to see her play. 

Not much else happening.
  • I'd be so annoyed about that food too, @climbingwife - especially since you said that's the only nice part about the banquet!

Friday I went to the gym and then H and I cooked and hung out.  It was great to spend some time together - he has been super busy the last couple weeks with work events and dinners and I feel like we haven't seen much of each other.  Saturday was H's grandmas bday party.  She was super surprised that all the grandkids made it, I got to snuggle some babies, and MIL was less obnoxious than I was expecting - overall a good day.  Yesterday, we did some light housework and watched football - great lazy day together!

This week I have to go into the city (I work in the far north burbs) for events Monday- thrusday.  I would just stay downtown but I have to be in the office everyday.  It's all fun stuff, but just a lot of traveling and cocktails.  plus am workouts, I will be totally exhausted by Friday!

• 6fsn said:
    I think I just got a Christmas miracle- 4 bras, 3 pairs of jeans in 3 hrs and under $25
    Yeah ya did!! Holy crap - way to go!
  • 6fsn said:
    I think I just got a Christmas miracle- 4 bras, 3 pairs of jeans in 3 hrs and under $25
    Yeah ya did!! Holy crap - way to go!

haha, I missed a ZERO!  Under $250!
  • LOL I was like "Girl you need to take my ass shopping!"

I got three dresses and a sweater from Old Navy for $60 this morning. And 2 pairs of shoes from Famous Footwear for $80. And a pair of boots, workout leggings and sunglasses for $4 but that's because Just Fab is bullshit and I was just spending "credits" so I can cancel their bullshit "VIP" nonsense.

I got three dresses and a sweater from Old Navy for $60 this morning. And 2 pairs of shoes from Famous Footwear for $80. And a pair of boots, workout leggings and sunglasses for $4 but that's because Just Fab is bullshit and I was just spending "credits" so I can cancel their bullshit "VIP" nonsense.

I did an Old Navy online purchase on Cyber Monday.  And bought a $6 winter knitted hat I don't really need, because I was $3 away from free shipping, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was going to hit old navy because I have super cash. Then I remembered I had 2 conference calls so bailed. The bras were $$$$ but they feel great. 

I did an Old Navy online purchase on Cyber Monday.  And bought a $6 winter knitted hat I don't really need, because I was $3 away from free shipping, lol.
    LOL I do stuff like that all the time. Like, you have to spend $75 to get free shipping at famous footwear. So I'll buy a second pair of shoes I don't need and then to go the store to return them. Why I'm not smart enough to use the free "ship to store" since I have to go to the store to return the second pair anyway, I do not know. 
  • Weekend was rough, but good.  IDK why I can't remember what I did on Friday, but the answer is obviously nothing.  I'm fairly sure I crashed about 10 minutes after K left for work at 9:30.  

Saturday, the new president came by and picked up my 7 bins of Pride stuff.  It was bittersweet, but a bit of a relief too.  I bought a bottle of wine and let myself cry and be pitiful for a bit.  Started watching Dead Like Me.  I'm still not sure what I think of it.  Hung out with K for a bit before they went to work again.

Sunday I cleaned the apartment almost from top to bottom.  Did laundry.  When K came home (they go over to their parents to sleep on the weekend so that I can move around the apartment and do laundry.  The bedroom and washer/dryer share a wall that is open, so it's loud), we talked about a buying moratorium.  K buys lots of "stuff".  They are a performer and a crafty person and I have tried to be understanding; we have also hit the point where I feel like i'm drowning under decorative paper, washi tape, pens, pins, stencils, makeup, coffee mugs, water bottles, makeup, stencils....the list just goes on and on.  And every time I try to organize, it's like...that stuff is organized, the new stuff just goes on the floor on anywhere until we're back where we started before I organized, now just with more stuff.  We have a huge apartment, but it's all open space, so not a lot of storage in general, much less just buying more and more totes.  So, after their birthday (Jan 21), 3 months of "no new stuff."  I know why the buying stuff is happening and I'm trying to walk the line between support and enable, as well as flaring my own anxiety over "messy AF".  I need a break though.

I'm also planning an ax throwing party for K's birthday.  This is what they want...I shall be in the background, anxiously counting fingers and toes of everyone at the party.  I'm also not picking up the entire tab like I usually would.  It's $25 pp, for 2 hours, plus $2 if they want to drink (BYOB).  I'm reserving 2 lanes (16 people) and putting the money down for that ($200), but if people want to go, they'll have to pay the difference ($12.50).  I can't really do $400 for a party so soon after Christmas and personal property taxes.  :D  I also think that I'll end up with one lane (8 people) and it'll be covered w/the deposit.
  • VarunaTT said:
    Weekend was rough, but good.  IDK why I can't remember what I did on Friday, but the answer is obviously nothing.  I'm fairly sure I crashed about 10 minutes after K left for work at 9:30.  

Saturday, the new president came by and picked up my 7 bins of Pride stuff.  It was bittersweet, but a bit of a relief too.  I bought a bottle of wine and let myself cry and be pitiful for a bit.  Started watching Dead Like Me.  I'm still not sure what I think of it.  Hung out with K for a bit before they went to work again.

Sunday I cleaned the apartment almost from top to bottom.  Did laundry.  When K came home (they go over to their parents to sleep on the weekend so that I can move around the apartment and do laundry.  The bedroom and washer/dryer share a wall that is open, so it's loud), we talked about a buying moratorium.  K buys lots of "stuff".  They are a performer and a crafty person and I have tried to be understanding; we have also hit the point where I feel like i'm drowning under decorative paper, washi tape, pens, pins, stencils, makeup, coffee mugs, water bottles, makeup, stencils....the list just goes on and on.  And every time I try to organize, it's like...that stuff is organized, the new stuff just goes on the floor on anywhere until we're back where we started before I organized, now just with more stuff.  We have a huge apartment, but it's all open space, so not a lot of storage in general, much less just buying more and more totes.  So, after their birthday (Jan 21), 3 months of "no new stuff."  I know why the buying stuff is happening and I'm trying to walk the line between support and enable, as well as flaring my own anxiety over "messy AF".  I need a break though.

I'm also planning an ax throwing party for K's birthday.  This is what they want...I shall be in the background, anxiously counting fingers and toes of everyone at the party.  I'm also not picking up the entire tab like I usually would.  It's $25 pp, for 2 hours, plus $2 if they want to drink (BYOB).  I'm reserving 2 lanes (16 people) and putting the money down for that ($200), but if people want to go, they'll have to pay the difference ($12.50).  I can't really do $400 for a party so soon after Christmas and personal property taxes.  :D  I also think that I'll end up with one lane (8 people) and it'll be covered w/the deposit.

Since it is a large apartment, albeit with open space.  Is it possible to set up a K-Korner/area against a wall?  Maybe with some of those pretty, partitioned folding wall-like things.  And all of her totes/shelves/whatnots for crafts, needs to fit into and remain in that area? 

I cannot thank you enough for mentioning the bolded!  My H and I have been together a really long time.  Which is great!  But the downside is that we are rarely able to surprise each other with anything that is 1) we haven't done/bought  2) we haven't heard of and 3) but at least one of us would love having/doing.  He would get the biggest kick out of ax throwing!  I totally want to surprise him with an ax throwing date night now, lol.  Already Googled it for my area and such a place does exist near us.  In fact, they just added ax throwing to their services in August.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTT said:
    Weekend was rough, but good.  IDK why I can't remember what I did on Friday, but the answer is obviously nothing.  I'm fairly sure I crashed about 10 minutes after K left for work at 9:30.  

Since it is a large apartment, albeit with open space.  Is it possible to set up a K-Korner/area against a wall?  Maybe with some of those pretty, partitioned folding wall-like things.  And all of her totes/shelves/whatnots for crafts, needs to fit into and remain in that area? 

I cannot thank you enough for mentioning the bolded!  My H and I have been together a really long time.  Which is great!  But the downside is that we are rarely able to surprise each other with anything that is 1) we haven't done/bought  2) we haven't heard of and 3) but at least one of us would love having/doing.  He would get the biggest kick out of ax throwing!  I totally want to surprise him with an ax throwing date night now, lol.  Already Googled it for my area and such a place does exist near us.  In fact, they just added ax throwing to their services in August.

They have one.  The stuff is spilling out of it b/c they just keep buying more stuff.  They really have an entire room, TBH.  With plenty of stacked totes, 2 wardrobes, a dresser of drawers, and at least 2 of the shelves with 9 of those soft boxes.  The amount they already have is why I wanted a compromise (the buying moratorium) and the date is b/c I know they're going to be getting gifts for Xmas and bday and I don't want to interfere with that.  I just need a break from all of this stuff that is floating around.  They...somewhat use most of it, so I'm trying to hit the compromise of "use what you have up, please, then get more new stuff."

Apparently I attract semi-hoarders, b/c exH was the same way.
  • VarunaTT said:
    VarunaTT said:

They have one.  The stuff is spilling out of it b/c they just keep buying more stuff.  They really have an entire room, TBH.  With plenty of stacked totes, 2 wardrobes, a dresser of drawers, and at least 2 of the shelves with 9 of those soft boxes.  The amount they already have is why I wanted a compromise (the buying moratorium) and the date is b/c I know they're going to be getting gifts for Xmas and bday and I don't want to interfere with that.  I just need a break from all of this stuff that is floating around.  They...somewhat use most of it, so I'm trying to hit the compromise of "use what you have up, please, then get more new stuff."

Apparently I attract semi-hoarders, b/c exH was the same way.

At least stopping the buying will really help a lot.  I admittedly have a hard time getting rid of things.  I used to have a hard time passing up a good deal.  It is not a pretty combo, lol.

Years ago, I started stemming the problem by changing what I asked myself before I bought something.  Instead of focusing on the price/value, I would think, "Is this something I need?  Will actually regularly use?  Or is it more likely to be sitting in a corner, with the price tag still on it, 3 years from now."  I can't tell you how many impulse purchases that has stopped dead, lol.

I also got better at just letting go of stuff I probably won't use again, no matter how much it's "worth".  I still have way too much junk.  But, between the two strategies, it's been a major improvement and I have a lot less than I used to.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • They are getting A LOT better and I give them credit for that.  We're finding the compromises between "K keeps all the things" and "Varuna needs organization".  B/c I absolutely don't mind keepsakes; I just want them displayed or organized or something that isn't "it lives in this box...which lives on this shelf...which is never touched."  And they are getting a lot better about not having to keep every single MVP award, etc.  

It's weird to be back at the beginning of relationship knots.  :D
  • I'munna be asking you for advice coming up here, Varuna. H is a keeper of everything and I HATE clutter and "stuff" and require organization to be able to relax. We'll probably be moving from a 1700 SF house with a garage and crawl space to an apartment coming up here and H seems to think that all of his hunting, fishing, motorcycle, paintball, whatever else stuff and just general crap he needs to keep are going with us and are going to fit. Just this weekend he's trying to tell me how necessary it is to have canoe oars. We don't have a canoe. And he's been "going to sell my boat" for the last 5 years. 

But I confess that my keepsake stuff is all in boxes. I did go through them recently and throw a bunch of stuff away so it's only 3-4 bins now instead of like 8 (why did I still have A LOT of ex boyfriend gifts? And their sweatshirts? And notes from middle school?). I've bought a t-shirt at every concert I've been to and I know I should do something with all of them but I just can't bring myself to cut them up to make a blanket or skirt or something. Because really, what else will I ever do with like 8 Ozzfest tshirts? LOL
  • Oh that's so sweet, Charlotte! How thoughtful of your H!
  • Oh that's so sweet, Charlotte! How thoughtful of your H!
    Yeah, I think he knew I’d love it once it was done, but would have a hard time making the decision to “get rid of them”. He’s a keeper. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2018

@ShesSoCold, Especially with a major move on the horizon, he needs to be going into purge-mode.  And this is coming from a fellow semi-hoarder, lol.  The deadline is approaching.  I don't know if this will work for him, but pointing out the financial stupidity works for me.  For example, "We are NOT towing a boat that you're planning to sell anyway.  Either sell it or junk it."

Moving across the country is exponentially harder and more expensive with a lot of dead weight.  It's a bigger moving van.  A bigger apartment or renting a storage unit.  Probably both.  For example, "I know you want to keep all of your paintball gear, canoe oars, fishing gear, etc.  But do you want to keep them at a cost of $XXX/month more for a larger apartment AND $200/month for a big storage unit?" (Hopefully his answer is "no", lol)

Wedding Countdown Ticker