Attire & Accessories Forum

Father of the Bride Attire

2»

Re: Father of the Bride Attire

• edited December 2018
    banana468 said:
    I have no clue why my fiance doesn't want him in a black tux. I thought that would be the best option. I even suggested a different black tux from the one that the groomsmen and my brother (bridesman) will be wearing. My fiance is dictating what he wears because my dad told both of us we could pick what he wears. Aside from the fact that he has never worn a tux, the closest Men's Warehouse to my parents' is about an hour to an hour and half away and my dad owns the exterminating company he works for so he works 12+ hours a day and does not really have the time to spend shopping and he hates shopping. His idea of shopping is either sending my mom lol or going getting what you want and getting the hell out. 
    Could your dad just buy a non Men's Warehouse tux if this is at least a 3 hour effort that may need to be repeated when your brother gets married? 

Why would your FI want to be controlling something that's really not this big a deal?   It sounds like your dad's trying to go down the path of least resistance but why is your FI hellbent on making it the path of the greatest effort? 
    My dad was going to travel with my brother who is in the wedding to Men's Warehouse since my brother has to get his tux there. I think my dad doesn't want to have to worry about traveling before the fitting just to look at tuxes to see what he likes. I'm not sure why my fiance is making it difficult. I don't see how they could get the groomsmen/bridesman confused with the father of the bride. My suggestion was to have my dad where a slightly different tux in black that way it wasn't identical, but it was still black.
  • There is a distinct irony that your fiancé wants to look so different so he decides to wear the most static and unchanging menswear this side of a school uniform.

Just have your father wear a tuxedo but have him wear a tie instead of a bowtie. It will look different enough. I am not a fan of a grey tuxedo.

Honestly, for the price of 2 tuxedo rentals, he could buy a department store dark suit and it would look great with a tux. And he could get it tailored to him. 
  • banana468 said:
    I have no clue why my fiance doesn't want him in a black tux. I thought that would be the best option. I even suggested a different black tux from the one that the groomsmen and my brother (bridesman) will be wearing. My fiance is dictating what he wears because my dad told both of us we could pick what he wears. Aside from the fact that he has never worn a tux, the closest Men's Warehouse to my parents' is about an hour to an hour and half away and my dad owns the exterminating company he works for so he works 12+ hours a day and does not really have the time to spend shopping and he hates shopping. His idea of shopping is either sending my mom lol or going getting what you want and getting the hell out. 
    Could your dad just buy a non Men's Warehouse tux if this is at least a 3 hour effort that may need to be repeated when your brother gets married? 

Why would your FI want to be controlling something that's really not this big a deal?   It sounds like your dad's trying to go down the path of least resistance but why is your FI hellbent on making it the path of the greatest effort? 
    My dad was going to travel with my brother who is in the wedding to Men's Warehouse since my brother has to get his tux there. I think my dad doesn't want to have to worry about traveling before the fitting just to look at tuxes to see what he likes. I'm not sure why my fiance is making it difficult. I don't see how they could get the groomsmen/bridesman confused with the father of the bride. My suggestion was to have my dad where a slightly different tux in black that way it wasn't identical, but it was still black.
    Have you told him that his requests are difficult and stupid??
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I told him I want my dad in a black tux, but he wasn't fond of that idea.
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Yeah, this sounds like this needs to be the next step.

"Hey, FI, are you aware how much effort and money this will require for my dad? Is it really that big a deal what he wears? No one is going to confuse him for a GM, and if they do, that impression will be corrected when he doesn't stand up on your side of the wedding party. There's also zero real cost to that confusion, which probably won't exist. Let's just let this go and Dad will wear whatever he can easily find in the right formality range."
  • OP, if I were you, I'd ask your fiance the same question I asked you - what did the fathers and groomsmen wear at the last wedding he attended? Chances are that he won't know that will prove the point of "it really doesn't matter and no one will notice".

It sounds like the easiest way, other than him buying a suit or tux, is to rent the same tux that he rents for your brother's wedding so he only needs to get measured once and he can just order the same thing twice.

Although I do agree with PPs that unless his weight fluctuates, a suit is always a handy thing to have. Most suits are timeless (my H literally has a suit that his stepdad gave him when he was 17. H is 33 and the suit was not new when his stepdad gave it to him). My dad got a suit before my brother's wedding 6 years ago. He wore it to that wedding, my wedding, several funerals, 2 cousins' weddings. Before that, outside of his own wedding, I cannot recall ever seeing him in anything other than black jeans, a Harley t-shirt and work boots. He's very blue collar like your dad sounds. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • edited December 2018
    There is a distinct irony that your fiancé wants to look so different so he decides to wear the most static and unchanging menswear this side of a school uniform.

Just have your father wear a tuxedo but have him wear a tie instead of a bowtie. It will look different enough. I am not a fan of a grey tuxedo.

Honestly, for the price of 2 tuxedo rentals, he could buy a department store dark suit and it would look great with a tux. And he could get it tailored to him. 
    I am actually the one that picked what everyone was wearing. My fiance and I went to Men's Warehouse. The sales person showed us the different options for black tuxes. My fiance asked which one I wanted him to wear. I said you pick since you're wearing it and he said you're the one that has to look at me. So I picked the one I liked best so that is the tux that the groom, groomsmen, and bridesman are wearing. Then we moved on shirts, ties, pocket squares and cuff links and it was pretty much the same thing. He said he wanted red and no bowties. I said okay. So the sales woman showed us several different options and my fiance again left the decisions up to me. But the second I said I wanted my dad in black is when my fiance finally had an opinion which is that my dad shouldn't be in black. This is how the wedding planning has been going. He has left most decision making up to me. I select things he then reviews them and will either say yes or no. 
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I told him I want my dad in a black tux, but he wasn't fond of that idea.
    Exactly what @flantastic is saying.    At the end of the day if your dad's in a black tux what is it to your FI?  

"Hey I get that you're wanting something different here but can you help me understand why you're wanting this when this process is so time consuming and costly for my dad?  I think there are other ways we can help differentiate the looks of the dads from the groomsmen that won't be nearly as costly or time consuming.   Everyone will know that the dads are dads.   I think we need to come up with something that doesn't make this such a logistical and costly issue for my dad." 

I mean at this point it's time to have the "Dude - you've kind of venturing into acting like a turd here," conversation.   
  • So, your FI feels very strongly about what your dad is wearing, but yet, won't contact his relatives to find out if they're in relationships. Sure, that makes sense. 
  • edited December 2018
    OP, if I were you, I'd ask your fiance the same question I asked you - what did the fathers and groomsmen wear at the last wedding he attended? Chances are that he won't know that will prove the point of "it really doesn't matter and no one will notice".

It sounds like the easiest way, other than him buying a suit or tux, is to rent the same tux that he rents for your brother's wedding so he only needs to get measured once and he can just order the same thing twice.

Although I do agree with PPs that unless his weight fluctuates, a suit is always a handy thing to have. Most suits are timeless (my H literally has a suit that his stepdad gave him when he was 17. H is 33 and the suit was not new when his stepdad gave it to him). My dad got a suit before my brother's wedding 6 years ago. He wore it to that wedding, my wedding, several funerals, 2 cousins' weddings. Before that, outside of his own wedding, I cannot recall ever seeing him in anything other than black jeans, a Harley t-shirt and work boots. He's very blue collar like your dad sounds. 

My brother's wedding colors are charcoal, navy blue, and rose gold. The guys in the wedding are going to be in charcoal tuxes and the girls are going to be in navy blue dresses with rose gold shoes. 
  • So, your FI feels very strongly about what your dad is wearing, but yet, won't contact his relatives to find out if they're in relationships. Sure, that makes sense. 
    I handled everything with his relatives. The things he actually has an opinion on drive me crazy. 
  • OP, if I were you, I'd ask your fiance the same question I asked you - what did the fathers and groomsmen wear at the last wedding he attended? Chances are that he won't know that will prove the point of "it really doesn't matter and no one will notice".

The tux my dad is wearing for my brother's wedding is charcoal.  
    LOL well then all your problems are solved! Just do that!

Just because we're not grey tux fans doesn't mean they're illegal. If your dad doesn't care, go with it.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Just because we're not grey tux fans doesn't mean they're illegal. If your dad doesn't care, go with it.
    My guess is he’d have to rent it twice (not just keep it) but I could be following this incorrectly. 

But yeah if your dad likes the charcoal tux and so does your FI then go for it. Just because we don’t like it shouldn’t mean you shouldn’t do it.  
  • edited December 2018
    OP, if I were you, I'd ask your fiance the same question I asked you - what did the fathers and groomsmen wear at the last wedding he attended? Chances are that he won't know that will prove the point of "it really doesn't matter and no one will notice".

That's honestly what I'm thinking. I understand all of the groomsmen will be in black tuxes and my dad will be in charcoal so I don't understand the big deal. At this point in time, the father of the groom will look even more out of place than my dad since he doesn't want to dress up at all. I was trying to get an opinion on color of the tie, vest, and cuff links, but everyone was so focused on the color of the tux instead. 
  • edited December 2018

My guess is he’d have to rent it twice (not just keep it) but I could be following this incorrectly. 

But yeah if your dad likes the charcoal tux and so does your FI then go for it. Just because we don’t like it shouldn’t mean you shouldn’t do it.  
    Yes he would have to rent it twice. If he had more uses for it, I'm sure he would buy it, but other than our weddings he doesn't. 

My dad could case else what color the tux is and I was trying to find out what color tie, vest, and cuff links everyone recommended. It has pretty much already been decided that the tux will be charcoal

Yes, I'm sure he'd have to rent twice but I was hoping he'd only have to get measured once and then for OP's wedding, he can just call to rent, rather than going all the way out there again.

Yes, I'm sure he'd have to rent twice but I was hoping he'd only have to get measured once and then for OP's wedding, he can just call to rent, rather than going all the way out there again.
    He would probably just get measured once unless he goes somewhere else. I'm not sure where my brother plans on going to get his tuxes. His wedding is first, but we are tux shopping first because my fiance would like to go shopping with his groomsmen and my brother and father when his brother is in town and his brother lives in another state and will be in town around Christmas. 

He would probably just get measured once unless he goes somewhere else. I'm not sure where my brother plans on going to get his tuxes. His wedding is first, but we are tux shopping first because my fiance would like to go shopping with his groomsmen and my brother and father when his brother is in town and his brother lives in another state and will be in town around Christmas. 
    If my father does go with the same tux though, what color tie, vest, cuff links, and pocket square would you recommend?

If my father does go with the same tux though, what color tie, vest, cuff links, and pocket square would you recommend?
    Id still say black ties/pocket square. Does your Dad wear any jewelry? I prefer silver cuff links, but if he wears gold jewelry that might look more together. 

Id still say black ties/pocket square. Does your Dad wear any jewelry? I prefer silver cuff links, but if he wears gold jewelry that might look more together. 
    Other than his wedding band, no he does not. 
  • The guy in the picture you posted looks good, so I'd go with white shirt, black tie. Pocket square, black or white. Cuff links? Probably silver but no one will notice or give even a little bit of a shit so I wouldn't spend more than one second on that.

I don't even know if my own husband wore cuff links at our wedding.
  • The guy in the picture you posted looks good, so I'd go with white shirt, black tie. Pocket square, black or white. Cuff links? Probably silver but no one will notice or give even a little bit of a shit so I wouldn't spend more than one second on that.

I don't even know if my own husband wore cuff links at our wedding.
    Thank you for your help. That is probably what I will go with. 
  • You're welcome!! Sorry I got confused and all wrapped up in the tux itself. :) 
  • I too thought of CMG and in my head thought "tuxes are only black anything else is a suit" and "they should always be worn with a vest or cumberbund" lol!
  • Just to add, my H was in two weddings about 3 months apart and MW made him get measured for both, even though he has a long file there already (6-time GM/BM and counting) and has steady measurements, so your dad might have to plan for 2 trips anyway.

Also, MW will request you to put on there EVERYTHING, I mean socks, shoes, all this potentially unnecessary stuff but it all adds up in the end. We cut down about 80 dollars per rental by limiting the options to just what we wanted to match (so pants, jacket and vest) and left everything else up to the guys with a few specifications (i.e. white button down and dress shoes please!). If they needed a white button down, they could choose to rent one or buy one, but they could also use their own (same with shoes, socks, etc). They can add but they can't subtract, so my H now owns 5 pairs of MW socks that he never uses and we've had to pay for them everytime.. 
  • For what it's worth, if your Dad already doesn't own a suit, for what the cost of a rental will be, I'd go ahead and go in to Men's Warehouse or JCP or Kohl's and purchase one this season since finding coordinating colors is going to be the easiest.  Once your Dad gets into the fitting room, he's going to start having an opinion faster than CMG would be rollin and clutching at grey (Gosh I miss her - she was awesome!).  But really, since he doesn't need to coordinate, put some suits on in the same price-point as the rental would be and go for it!  Every guy deserves to own a suit that they're comfortable wearing (IMO I'd go that step between black/grey with a silver suit shirt, red tie..)..  
  • You mentioned in one of your other posts that your all's wedding is fairly formal.  Your FI should realize and make peace with it being within the realm of possibility that other guests might wear a tux.  My H used to own a tux.  He loved it and wore it for any excuse*, lol.

*as an aside, now I'm wondering what happened to that guy.  Now if he wears something other than shorts and a t-shirt, he acts like he is dressing up, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker