Wedding Woes

Wednesday!

A week from today, Christmas will be over. And I will be relieved.

What's going on? 

I'm trying to plan my cooking and baking for the weekend. I'm hosting like 15 people on Monday and have to bring desserts to 2 different places on Tuesday. Even trying to make lists makes me want to nap.
Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Wednesday!

• My kid is being an ungrateful brat "What do you mean we can't do that extra $1k activity?!"

I turned in my paperwork to be a real employee today.  Then found out there's lots of drama- 2 people very, very sick and the boss in some personal trouble.

I'm looking forward to Christmas Day.  We truly just sit on our butts and do nothing we don't want to. I accidentally found one of my Christmas presents. It's something I've been wanting so I'm excited.

• Good luck with anyone who has anything to do!  I asked my parents if I should just buy some apps from Trader joe’s and we heavy app it that day. They said yes.  I can make a meal out of cheese and crackers and dip!  So that’s all I have to do.  Find some time to go to TJ’s.  I also have to buy something small for my coworkers (8 of them).  I usually do candy.

last night I left dinner up to H.  I said “since your at walmart can you pick up dinner?  Maybe something we can throw in the oven?  Has to be healthy...not a pizza.  Actually they have rotisserie chickens there and a side salad from the deli.  They have a good broccoli salad. 

I’m 10 minutes away from home he texts “dinner is ready”. i was a bit nervous becuase what I recommended COMES ready, and when I got there he had a bag of green beens, a bag of corn, a bag of frozen heat and mash potaotes and a bag of grilled chicken... so i’m not really fond of those frozen bagged heat and serve chickens.  They seem SO salty to me.  I couldn’t eat it 😞 i felt so bad but the dinner was so tasteless and bland and a huge salt lick.  I ate some popcorn for dinner.  I know he felt bad too but I couldnt put it down.  He was so sweet for “trying” - but this is why I do dinner.

• @charlotte989875, congrats on the good performance evaluation!

While I can understand the perspective of being glad when Christmas is over because it can be overwhelming, I love it!  Not so much the holiday itself.  But I usually end up with a couple long weekends off from work.  And this year is no exception.  However, it's also really low stress for me and my H.  We don't live near our families.  Which isn't a positive, but makes for a mellow holiday.  We don't have children to buy and wrap presents for and feel obligated to do all that Christmasy stuff with.  Though I suppose on the negative, we do miss out on the Christmas spirit because who has more of that than kids, lol.

I was just talking to my H last night that we are going to cook our ham on Sat. instead of waiting until Christmas.  That way we can snack on it all weekend!  And then, on Christmas, I can use some of the ham to make a breakfast casserole we both love.  And we only need to worry about fixing the sides for Christmas dinner. 

I am counting down the days until Friday!  Aaaahhh, so much sleeping in!  Though I do want to prepare a few heavy appetizer-type food for fun stuff to eat and be handy.

Today, I'm going to the bank at lunch time to make a large payment on my HELOC.  It's good timing because apparently they are going to have our network down for some whatever IT stuff they're doing.  So my usual lunch flitting around on the Internet will be a kibosh anyway, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One more thing about Christmas with the ILs last weekend.  They do gift cards, a small gift, and scratch off lottery tickets.  I have accepted that they give DH more money and tickets.  It just dawned on me that sFIL gave SIL 1 a curse coffee mug and his daughter "cat mom" wine glasses, but didn't give me anything.  I'm not hurt or anything, but definitely side eyeing it (petty party of one).
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2018

@CharmedPam, Trader Joe's for heavy apps!  Yaaassss!  We only have one and they are out in the suburbs.  So I sometimes forget about them.

They do drive me nuts, though.  They are always crazy busy, even when it isn't Christmas.  It's newish.  Opened a couple years ago.  The first few weeks, the check-out line was wrapped all the way around the store and then mazed through the produce displays!  My H and I went to check it out in Week 2 or 3.  Thinking enough "newness" had happened that the crowds would have died down.  Yeesh!  When we saw the line started in produce, we mutually decided we weren't buying a darn thing.  But wandered a bit, just to see what they had.  Though I have been there since, lol! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah for no sick kids @banana468! I've been checking stuff off my list today. I do love Christmas and will get all the stuff done so that we will enjoy the day.

I love heavy app meals. We have done that several times for holiday meals. Always a win!
  • Congrats on the good eval @charlotte989875

@ShesSoCold I actually got stressed last night making shopping lists of what I have to buy at each grocery store for my IL Christmas celebration this Saturday, Christmas Eve, and Christmas breakfast/dinner.  (Not hosting all, but bringing dishes everywhere.) The kids are really excited and it’s sweet, so I’m not counting down for it to be over per se, but it’s certainly a busy time.

I’m completely done with gifts except for my mother and sisters- every year I give them a “cookie in a jar” (stack all the dry ingredients, package it nicely and write on a card how to add the wet ingredients, how long to bake, etc.).  I like to wait until right before Christmas to assemble them but it’s more time consuming than you may think.  So I may do those sooner than I’d planned, just to be done with everything on the gift front.
  • I feel more and more ready, each day.  I got the last of the Christmas gifts wrapped (again) - but I don't think I have anything else to buy. 

Since it's always a group effort, I texted the 7 fishes attendees to see who was bringing desserts and what - so I knew what and how much to bake.  People are bringing so much, I don't have to bake!  This is a first!  H was bummed, since that means I'm not him my chocolate cake, which is his favorite.  But we will have a chocolate cake there, so he can deal!  I may make him one in a few weeks, since I also didn't make one for Thanksgiving!

I still need to finish straightening up the house.  H will do the vacuuming, like always, but I still need to pick up and put some things away.  I can't clean the family room too much because DD will just clutter it up again anyway. 

I'm also making my list for the items I will need on my last trip to the grocery store.  I still need to think about what to do for Christmas dinner, but heavy apps sound like the way to go!

I have one more day of work left too, then I'm off for the rest of the year, which will be a lovely stay-cation!

• banana468 said:
    I am breathing a small sigh of relief that thus far no new kids have been sick.   Every day that no one vomits is a win.   My hope is that if we can get through Saturday without anything then maybe just maybe we're in the clear?   I've turned my anxiety into previous math problems looking  back on previous illnesses and when did I know that there was an onset of symptoms in the class and when did Chiquito first show signs?   I know that aside from hand washing I can't do much but I'll try to relax and know that there isn't much I can do to stop it.

Finished Christmas cards last night and I'll get them in the mail today.   If all goes well I'll try to do wrapping on my lunches tomorrow and Friday to be closer to done by the weekend. 

True in kindergarten, true in college. 
    But in younger years they need juice and in older years it's from too much!

But seriously - my desire to make things perfect is anxiety inducing and luckily this is one of the times that DH doesn't have anxiety so he talks me down and reminds me that we get through this.
  • @CharmedPam, Trader Joe's for heavy apps!  Yaaassss!  We only have one and they are out in the suburbs.  So I sometimes forget about them.

They do drive me nuts, though.  They are always crazy busy, even when it isn't Christmas.  It's newish.  Opened a couple years ago.  The first few weeks, the check-out line was wrapped all the way around the store and then mazed through the produce displays!  My H and I went to check it out in Week 2 or 3.  Thinking enough "newness" had happened that the crowds would have died down.  Yeesh!  When we saw the line started in produce, we mutually decided we weren't buying a darn thing.  But wandered a bit, just to see what they had.  Though I have been there since, lol! 

Oh.  Ours is too.  All the time!  I’m thinking of going right when they open either sat or sun.  Another thing is, I don’t have much room in my freezer.  I’ll need to get some shelf stable/refrigerated stuff too.

• What sorts of stuff do you get at Trader Joes? I always here people saying they love it, but I never go there.
  • I will also be relieved when it’s over. I find this time of year stressful & there’s too much pressure for it to be wonderful/magical/the most awesome/precious/bestest time ever. 

I agree with the bolded to the extent that I just DGAF. We buy presents for immediate family only. My in-laws host Christmas Eve and my parents host Christmas Day. We eat, we drink, we open presents, and relax. And I really enjoy using over a week's worth of PTO and being off work for awhile, haha. 

I do like doing other seasonal holiday stuff. We've gone to Zoolights, Christmas Markets, and seen Santa (total fail for my 16 month old; wouldn't even let us get close to the guy). It's enough for us! 

• Their dumplings, birds nests, eggrolls, spinach dip, chicken squewers are all good.  I could also make a sweet ‘n sour sauce and buy the meatballs to crock.  They have a variety of apps to just pop in the oven and they come with the sauces.  

• Today I have to drive down to see the doctor and do more lab work. They want me to start a new medication but I want to wait until after the procedures confirm things. Delaying the medication won’t impact anything diagnostically and it won’t change anything health wise except treat symptoms that they think I’m having that I’m not having, so I’d rather wait. Plus the medication is $600 and that’s a lot of money. Now I’m debating if I should up my insurance coverage for next year to a more expensive and comprehensive plan. Ugh. 

I made my Saturday dinner timeline for cooking and I’m about two ovens short for what I need. Good thing I have my toaster oven, and I’m having FSIL bring back over the one I gave her for the day. I might also ask my mom if I can borrow hers. I have gourmet cooking dreams in a budget house. Lol. There’s still so much cleaning and work to do it seems overwhelming. And I’d like to make time every night this week for the gym. It really does help me feel better. 

@charlotte989875 congrats! 

@banana468 continue to have fingers crossed! Whenever I encounter something super contagious I always look at the incubation period and live in fear. A few months ago this kid with Hand Foot Mouth Disease came into clinic and it was like they made it their personal mission to touch literally everything, including the walls, equipment, chairs, and my face. I walked out of the room and immediately Cavi-wiped my face and hands, (not for use on skin lol). And then I lived in terror until the incubation period had passed. I was just like any day now, it’s going to happen. Thankfully that one passed without incident. 

• levioosa said:
    Today I have to drive down to see the doctor and do more lab work. They want me to start a new medication but I want to wait until after the procedures confirm things. Delaying the medication won’t impact anything diagnostically and it won’t change anything health wise except treat symptoms that they think I’m having that I’m not having, so I’d rather wait. Plus the medication is $600 and that’s a lot of money. Now I’m debating if I should up my insurance coverage for next year to a more expensive and comprehensive plan. Ugh. 

I made my Saturday dinner timeline for cooking and I’m about two ovens short for what I need. Good thing I have my toaster oven, and I’m having FSIL bring back over the one I gave her for the day. I might also ask my mom if I can borrow hers. I have gourmet cooking dreams in a budget house. Lol. There’s still so much cleaning and work to do it seems overwhelming. And I’d like to make time every night this week for the gym. It really does help me feel better. 

@charlotte989875 congrats! 

@banana468 continue to have fingers crossed! Whenever I encounter something super contagious I always look at the incubation period and live in fear. A few months ago this kid with Hand Foot Mouth Disease came into clinic and it was like they made it their personal mission to touch literally everything, including the walls, equipment, chairs, and my face. I walked out of the room and immediately Cavi-wiped my face and hands, (not for use on skin lol). And then I lived in terror until the incubation period had passed. I was just like any day now, it’s going to happen. Thankfully that one passed without incident. 
    Oh I've done that with HFM too.   The worst has been when it's also in the house and then we look around and wonder will anyone be next?  DH did that about two years ago when a virus took out 3 out of the 4 of us and he just wondered if/when it was going to hit.    Luckily he escaped. 

There's something particularly AWFUL about this bug.   HFM is the suck too but there's something awful when you wonder when your'e going to be a volcano.   A fever can be thrown on the couch with a movie.
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2018
    6fsn said:
    What sorts of stuff do you get at Trader Joes? I always here people saying they love it, but I never go there.

It has all the same departments as a grocery store but, for the most part, without the mass brands.  They tend to have high quality, gourmet, more unique/interesting types of stuff.  But at normal prices!!!  Like a Whole Foods, without the hoity-toityness.

One of the popular things people buy there is wine.  They have so many excellent choices at high school "Boone's Farm" prices, lol.  Okay, maybe not quite that cheap.  But pretty close. 

@CharmedPam, yep...yep.  I'm feeling ya on the "not enough freezer space".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No kids which makes things easy, and my dad's birthday is the 30th so we often delay Christmas with my side of the family until then.  And that lets me go to my MIL for Christmas, so it is nice to have it spread out.  I just always get so stressed about the dog - I can't seem to enjoy a nice time out anymore without thinking about her alone at home ... she's gotten really good at the guilt trips when we leave. 

• When she was a puppy, Edna has some separation anxiety so we started giving her treats every time we left. Now her old ass gets all excited when we leave so she can get her goodies. She's such a jerk. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Our dog looks so sad and resigned when we pull out a suitcase, lol.  Even though we rarely leave on the same day we're packing, she just knows!

Our cat (Nip), OTOH, starts looking excited and perky when she sees the suitcase come out.  For reasons we will never understand, she is obsessed with climbing inside it and hanging out.  We have to keep taking her out of it as we pack, lol.  Only to return less than a minute later and she is back lounging on top of the new layer of clothes.

It just occurred to me we should just give Nip her own carry-on.  Keep it open, tuck a few blankets in there.  There ya go, Nip!  Live in a suitcase all year long, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've heard that about cats! That they always love suitcases. That would be a great cat bed. Resale shop carry-on and old blankets. Boom. Done.

Edna, the jerkdog, also loves when we pack. That means she gets to go to her vacation home with her pepaw (my dad) and she gets ALL EXCITED and runs around whining. Like a "Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrry uppppppppppppppppppp" toddler sort of whining. 

I'm starting to think she might just not like us very much. LOL 
  • I've heard that about cats! That they always love suitcases. That would be a great cat bed. Resale shop carry-on and old blankets. Boom. Done.

Edna, the jerkdog, also loves when we pack. That means she gets to go to her vacation home with her pepaw (my dad) and she gets ALL EXCITED and runs around whining. Like a "Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrry uppppppppppppppppppp" toddler sort of whining. 

I'm starting to think she might just not like us very much. LOL 

I've read it's a common preference for domestic cats to seek out places that have sides all around them.  They instinctively feel safer and more secure that way because they can't be snuck up on.

Which might explain some of those funny videos/pics you'll see where a cat wedges itself into a tiny box or weird place.

For a couple months, Nip liked a Barefoot Wine box we'd grabbed at Sam's Club to load stuff into.  Alas, one of their empty boxes lol, but I digress.  It would have originally had 6 bottles of wine standing straight up in it.  So it was fairly small, but high-sided.

She perfectly fit into it, if she was curled into a ball.  But couldn't stretch out.  She often sat up in it, which was roomier, and was just the perfect height to totally cover her body.  But not her head or neck at all.  It was hilarious.  This cute, little cat head.  Sticking out of the wine box and looking around. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn said:
    One more thing about Christmas with the ILs last weekend.  They do gift cards, a small gift, and scratch off lottery tickets.  I have accepted that they give DH more money and tickets.  It just dawned on me that sFIL gave SIL 1 a curse coffee mug and his daughter "cat mom" wine glasses, but didn't give me anything.  I'm not hurt or anything, but definitely side eyeing it (petty party of one).
    Ugh.  I hate that attitude.  I am no saint by any means, and I understand that my children are adults.  But I treat my kids and their spouses equally.  I still inadvertently make sure each has the same amount of "boxes" to open.  My son notices EVERY dang time, and mocks me relentlessly for it.
    I don't care who shows up for Christmas.  I will try to have a little "something" for everyone to open, because......Christmas.  It's really not that hard and it doesn't have to break the bank.  Some stores are practically giving stuff away.  Come on, now. 
    I waved the white flag at school yesterday.  The kids are on the ceiling.....between Christmas, the long break, disrupted/interrupted schedules and routines at home, stressed parents.......is it Friday 3:00PM yet?