Wedding 911

Wedding Website

I have included a frequently asked page on my wedding website. Please let me know if there are any other questions you would recommended. Thanks!

When will the invitations be sent out?

What is the deadline for the RSVP?

Can I RSVP via email, telephone, or online?

If I am unable to attend, do I still need to return the reply card with “decline to attend”?

What should I do in the event I can't make it?

May I bring someone that is not included on the invitation?

Can I bring my children?

What time should I arrive?

Is there free parking at the venue?

What is the attire for the wedding?

When is the earliest I can book my hotel room?

What is the check in and check out times for the hotel?

Re: Wedding Website

• I thought this page would be helpful because people have already been asking me some of these questions since we sent the save the date out with information for our wedding website. 
  • I thought this page would be helpful because people have already been asking me some of these questions since we sent the save the date out with information for our wedding website. 
    I think it’s just part of wedding planning that people will ask these questions. I think it’s fine to post the hotel names/contact info, parking info, or other transportation infor; but the rest is either things that will be on the invitation (start time, how to RSVP) or things you shouldn’t be specifically telling your guests (like what to wear). 
  • edited December 2018
    I thought this page would be helpful because people have already been asking me some of these questions since we sent the save the date out with information for our wedding website. 
    I think it’s just part of wedding planning that people will ask these questions. I think it’s fine to post the hotel names/contact info, parking info, or other transportation infor; but the rest is either things that will be on the invitation (start time, how to RSVP) or things you shouldn’t be specifically telling your guests (like what to wear). 

Our hotel is very specific on things so at least for the hotel I have to be very detailed. They require everyone book a room by a certain date in order to get the room at the discounted rate. They also have specific days the guests have to pay for their room by and it depends on how the guest is paying. For instance, if paying by check they have to have the check 10 business days in advance. Also, if paying by credit card, the hotel provided a form to me that I have to give my guests for them to fill out. Also, parking is strange. If they are only attending the wedding, parking is free, but if they are spending the night it is $5.00. 

Also, I am not telling anyone how to dress. I'm just recommending cocktail attire. 

I know the page is overkill, but I don't want anyone to say well we didn't know. 

Our hotel is very specific on things so at least for the hotel I have to be very detailed. They require everyone book a room by a certain date in order to get the room at the discounted rate. They also have specific days the guests have to pay for their room by and it depends on how the guest is paying. For instance, if paying by check they have to have the check 10 business days in advance. Also, if paying by credit card, the hotel provided a form to me that I have to give my guests for them to fill out. Also, parking is strange. If they are only attending the wedding, parking is free, but if they are spending the night it is $5.00. 

Also, I am not telling anyone how to dress. I'm just recommending cocktail attire. 

I know the page is overkill, but I don't want anyone to say well we didn't know. 
    Still no on the attire. People will be able to figure out what's appropriate from the venue. If your venue (and therefore your event) is fancy enough for cocktail attire, people will wear that.

Your questions (as written) don't really address most of those hotel issues. Maybe something like, "How do I take advantage of the hotel block discount?" and then outline those requirements.

Like I said, I would actually want the answer to the parking question. So the page itself isn't bad. Just the questions where you're treating people like children.

RE: the bolded. Who cares? If they didn't ask or figure it out themselves, it's on them - how does that affect you? Also, people may still say "Well, we didn't know." Not everyone reads the wedding website in detail or at all (or any communication. As someone who sends out school communications periodically, I should know.) Just because it's there doesn't mean the people who need to hear it will read it.
  • STUCK IN BOX. 
    Given that you've said the questions are coming after the STDs arrived, here are my comments:

knottieffd308519aec5b27 said:

I have included a frequently asked page on my wedding website. Please let me know if there are any other questions you would recommended. Thanks!

When will the invitations be sent out? Odd that they're asking. Doesn't sound terribly important but if you really feel the need to address, say they're being mailed 6-8 weeks before the event. That being said, if you put it out there, you'll have to stick to your plan.

What is the deadline for the RSVP? Again, odd that they're asking, as that'll be on the invitation. This might be a case by case thing, why they're asking. Like, someone who usually has to work weekends- maybe they're indicating they may RSVP last minute. 

Can I RSVP via email, telephone, or online? If you must address this, whatever. But it's kind of more trouble than it's worth if your RSVP cards are going to include a meal choice which you may not even know yet. 

If I am unable to attend, do I still need to return the reply card with “decline to attend”? Yet again, so funny that people are even asking this; if you feel inclined to address, put yes. 

What should I do in the event I can't make it? Er, what? Leave this off.

May I bring someone that is not included on the invitation? As this came out with the STDs, don't put this on the website- address it as it arises on a per-person basis. 

Can I bring my children? I would definitely not put this on the website and address it as the question arises on a per-person basis. 

What time should I arrive? Before the ceremony starts. Duh. Leave this off the website because it's too stupid a question. 

Is there free parking at the venue? YES include this. 

What is the attire for the wedding? The only reason you'd need to include attire is if the venue actually requires a dress code. My venue was a restaurant with a business casual expectation, so I put specifically that the venue requires business casual at minimum. If anyone else asks you otherwise, you can suggest cocktail. Address it per-person basis. 

When is the earliest I can book my hotel room? Include this. 

What is the check in and check out times for the hotel? Nestle this under a whole section about hotel details. Once people know which hotel, it's so easy to look at policies online. 

With all the questions you're getting asked I kind of feel sorry for you. I mean this nicely but adults should be able to figure the vast majority of this out without peppering you with this stuff. Ugh. 

• I have included a frequently asked page on my wedding website. Please let me know if there are any other questions you would recommended. Thanks!

When will the invitations be sent out? Don't include this one

What is the deadline for the RSVP? Don't include this one, it will be on the invite RSVP card

Can I RSVP via email, telephone, or online? Don't include, this will be on the RSVP card

If I am unable to attend, do I still need to return the reply card with “decline to attend”? Don't include. 

What should I do in the event I can't make it? Don't include

May I bring someone that is not included on the invitation? Don't include. You never highlight those that are not invited. If someone RSVPs that they are bringing someone else, you call to correct. 

Can I bring my children? See above. 

What time should I arrive? Don't include. Information will be on the invite. 

Is there free parking at the venue? Rephrase to "Parking Information"

What is the attire for the wedding? Unless you are having a black/white tie affair (which is more about the level of hosting), don't include. Guests can dress themselves. If they have questions, they can ask and you reply that they should wear whatever makes them feel comfortable and happy. 

When is the earliest I can book my hotel room? Rephrase "Hotel Information"

What is the check in and check out times for the hotel? See above. 

Only two sections I would include is "Parking Information" and "Hotel Information". 
  • I agree with the PPs that most of these FAQs are unnecessary. You should include info that is unique to your celebration, such as where to park, how to get the hotel block deal, etc.  But the truth is, even if you put a ton of useful info, there will still be people who don't get it. Most people don't read carefully at all.