Wedding Woes

A thank-you card writer! How refreshing

I am a college student with three aunts on my stepmother’s side. Each holiday, two of them send me a Christmas gift. My dad always asks what I’d like, then relays the message onto them. For the past five years, I’ve always requested and received gift cards. My (very low stakes) question: How can I write better thank-you notes? I am friendly with these aunts, but we aren’t at all close, simply because of geography (I haven’t spoken to any of them since 2015). My stepmother relays general life updates between her sisters and me. Currently the formulation I use is one to two sentences of specific thanks or how I plan to use the gift, one sentence of general good wishes plus one sentence of “hope to see you soon,” and an offer to host if they are ever in the area where I attend school. This seems so bland and perfunctory! How can I improve my thank-you notes without making any statements that would ring false considering our friendly but not intimate relationship?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: A thank-you card writer! How refreshing

• I think LW's lovely manners are part of the reason she is still receiving gifts from people she doesn't see/talk to anymore...   I think she should stress less- keep writing the thank you notes and letting your aunts know how much you appreciate them- that's perfect. 
  • What a breath of fresh air! I would keep sending LW gifts too!
  • Right.  I stopped giving my friends’ daughter a gift when I noticed she couldn’t even thank me in person.

• I agree with you, Syp. Sounds like the notes are great! If anything, LW could start sending them letters (assuming the aunts aren't on social media or anything) at other times during the year, sending them birthday cards, things like that.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I think what the LW is already writing is fine.  But if they feel there needs to be more to the letter, I bet the aunts would appreciate a few sentences summarizing what they've been up to that year in college.  I realize the stepmother is already keeping these ladies in the loop, but there are always a few details they could add.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker