Wedding Woes

Thursday

Almost the end of the week.  Also, Prudie day. 

They started offering overtime for my team.  Wahoo.  

DefConn has a bad cold and is pretty puny.  I let him stay home and he's laying low.  

The kiddo and DH were being obnoxious this morning in their own special ways. 

I'm ready to go back to bed already.  ;)  I am looking forward to my hair appt. this weekend.  

Re: Thursday

• Awww, I hope DefConn feels better!

I need either @NOLAbridesmaid to be around more or more of you to watch Married at First Sight. I need to snark on these people. 

I'm starting to have a hard time being a good honest person. I order from Adore Me and several times I've placed an order, I get the shipment notification but then it's never updated passed the "UPS has received the information" and then suddenly like 2 weeks later a box arrives. Still no shipment info update. Then about a week after that I get an email from Adore Me apologizing for the fact that I haven't received my shipment and I email back telling them I did.

The more it happens, the more I want to tell them I never received shit and to refund me.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I can’t seem to kick this feeling of being tired. I’m getting sleep, but still feeling tired and run down. Hopefully not a sign I’m getting sick! 

Not much happening here. No big snowstorm last night and not much today besides wind and cold. 

I have a baby shower on Sunday but other than that just trying to figure out where the bathtub leak is coming from. Our lives are so exciting. 
  • I realize it is not quite done yet.  But I'm glad my first "back to the usual", normal work week wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

NOLA City Council is voting on what they are going to do about Short-Term Vacation rentals (STRs) today.  Overall, I think they've been extremely sh***y about it.  They already put rules and licensing in place two years ago.  And they might be about to completely re-vamp it again, which could pull the rug out from under a lot of people/companies.  Some of the more extreme measures they are considering would cause real estate prices to drop like a rock, all over the city.

Even though I'm not in the STR market, I've completely halted my own real estate investing (REI) for the last year while I've waited to see what they'll do and how it will affect the market.  I've been SO READY to take a new step and try "fixing and flipping" houses, but that's more risk than the "buy and hold" investing I've been doing.  I need to know I'll be doing it in a stable market with ARV (after repair value) comps I can rely on.  So I've been patient.  And patient.  And bored.  I need the excitement and to get my hands dirty, lol!

Not to mention, with some of the measures they are considering, it might change my tactics/strategy all together.  Could even offer a lot of opportunity for me.  But if they go with the most draconian route, I'll probably pick up my toys and go to other playgrounds.  Which would be another host of problems, because I personally wouldn't be moving.  So I'd have to manage from afar.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So far this week has been fairly pleasant even though I was dreading the first full week back to work after holidays.  I've had enough to do without being crazy, and it seems to make the week go pretty fast. 

Our alma mater basketball team was playing near us last night so we went and FINALLY saw a win.  I swear every time we play this team (no matter the sport) we have far more trouble than we should!  It was fun, and nice to get out of the house with DH - we typically don't do a lot on weeknights.

This weekend we're painting our kitchen and replacing all the knobs/pulls on the cabinets!  I'm excited for a little refresh (we moved in the house in May).  Fixtures and appliances and stuff in the house are pretty nice, just not really our style so we're doing this kind of stuff in small chunks.  It's nice that we didn't HAVE to do anything major, but it's amazing how quick and easy it is to get used to stuff you don't even like!

Feel better Charlotte, my H has been complaining of the same thing (sleeping fine but not feeling rested) - I hope a quiet weekend for you both will do the trick!

S&S - was it you that recently removed slider doors from a bathtub unit?  I feel like I remember a convo about it, but can't find it and am just assuming it's you :) Even if not, do you know if it's a job that's DIY possible?  H and I are both fairly handy. 

• Oh Pam I love that!!!

H and I planned to do the same thing when we bought the house (3 years ago) - use our own pictures as the art in our house. Still haven't done anything but it's still way back there in the back of our minds. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019
    Casadena said:

So far this week has been fairly pleasant even though I was dreading the first full week back to work after holidays.  I've had enough to do without being crazy, and it seems to make the week go pretty fast. 

Our alma mater basketball team was playing near us last night so we went and FINALLY saw a win.  I swear every time we play this team (no matter the sport) we have far more trouble than we should!  It was fun, and nice to get out of the house with DH - we typically don't do a lot on weeknights.

This weekend we're painting our kitchen and replacing all the knobs/pulls on the cabinets!  I'm excited for a little refresh (we moved in the house in May).  Fixtures and appliances and stuff in the house are pretty nice, just not really our style so we're doing this kind of stuff in small chunks.  It's nice that we didn't HAVE to do anything major, but it's amazing how quick and easy it is to get used to stuff you don't even like!

Feel better Charlotte, my H has been complaining of the same thing (sleeping fine but not feeling rested) - I hope a quiet weekend for you both will do the trick!

S&S - was it you that recently removed slider doors from a bathtub unit?  I feel like I remember a convo about it, but can't find it and am just assuming it's you :) Even if not, do you know if it's a job that's DIY possible?  H and I are both fairly handy. 

You will be amazed at what a huge difference just replacing the knobs/pulls on a kitchen does.  It's such a small and relatively inexpensive thing to do, but it can really refresh and update a kitchen.

My H and I have never removed a slider door from a bathtub.  I'm pretty sure that was @CharmedPam.  However, I did ask my H about it for her.  I don't remember the details he went into.  In a nutshell, he didn't think it was something a total beginner would want to get into.  But that it was a relatively easy DIY job for someone with basic handy-person skills.

Edited to add: I wrote my post before I saw @CharmedPam's, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited January 2019
    Oh Pam I love that!!!

H and I planned to do the same thing when we bought the house (3 years ago) - use our own pictures as the art in our house. Still haven't done anything but it's still way back there in the back of our minds. 
    Well I will recommend easycanvasprints com then.  I think I didn’t even need a coupon code because of the sale they’re running.  It was inexpensive and they did a 30x40 from my phone.  I had a question after I places the order and they were very quick to answer, create and ship!  

• @charmedpam- very pretty picture!  DH and I have had a leveling battle before.  He used a level on my kids chest of drawers, but the room isn't level. So next to a horizontal stripe I painted the level furniture looked off kilter.  I made him shim it so it was eyeball level, not level level.

Just a bunch of bs today.  I thought I could make one $58 grocery trip last, but nope.  We have 6 apples, 1 banana, 1/4 cucumber, and some lettuce.  Boogers are going to want dinner tomorrow and there won't be leftovers either.

• It’s always so interesting to hear you talk about real estate and your investments @short+sassy...hope you start to feel better soon @charlotte989875 and that’s a great photo @CharmedPam!  

Normal day at work except for lots of set up for an admitted students night this evening. I got my work out in.
    In addition to my sister, I have some of cousins getting married this year.  Just last night over drinks post-dress shopping my mom sisters and I were saying we’re kind of over getting save the dates for bridal showers. Yesterday morning a third aunt messaged a group of us “X’s Shower will be July 20th! Invite to follow!”. Like are we all expected to hold the date? My mom didn’t do that with me and my middle sister’s showers. And my youngest sister’s shower is March 24th- we’re aiming to mail invites in mid-Feb but there hasn’t been any other notification.  Is that a new thing? It’s kind of annoying.
  • eileenrob said:
    It’s always so interesting to hear you talk about real estate and your investments @short+sassy...hope you start to feel better soon @charlotte989875 and that’s a great photo @CharmedPam!  

Normal day at work except for lots of set up for an admitted students night this evening. I got my work out in.
    In addition to my sister, I have some of cousins getting married this year.  Just last night over drinks post-dress shopping my mom sisters and I were saying we’re kind of over getting save the dates for bridal showers. Yesterday morning a third aunt messaged a group of us “X’s Shower will be July 20th! Invite to follow!”. Like are we all expected to hold the date? My mom didn’t do that with me and my middle sister’s showers. And my youngest sister’s shower is March 24th- we’re aiming to mail invites in mid-Feb but there hasn’t been any other notification.  Is that a new thing? It’s kind of annoying.
    I haven’t had a save the date for a shower. But the one I am going to Sunday had a “bring a book instead of a card” which has happened at every single baby shower I’ve been to in the last 2 years. I love books. I hate being told I have to bring books. 
  • A STD for a SHOWER?? 

No.   Plan your party and I will attend it if it works in my schedule.   This should not be a thing.

I also hate the book instead of a card thing.   I'm over it.   Thankfully most of my peers are beyond their first so I think I have a while to go before I attend another baby shower.
  • edited January 2019
    Yeah I've never heard of a STD for a shower and I'd side-eye the hell out of one if I received it. I also hate the "instead of a card, bring a book" and the "bring diapers to be entered into a raffle". 

My fifth anniversary is July 20th and I hadn't even thought about it yet. I can't believe showers are already being planned!

ETA - This goes back to weddings being treated like the most important thing in the entire world. "We MUST do STDs for the shower! We MUST ensure no one plans anything else on such an important day in a woman's life!" 
  • banana468 said:
    A STD for a SHOWER?? 

No.   Plan your party and I will attend it if it works in my schedule.   This should not be a thing.

I also hate the book instead of a card thing.   I'm over it.   Thankfully most of my peers are beyond their first so I think I have a while to go before I attend another baby shower.
    How about I bring you a book instead of a gift? So annoying. And no I’m never saving the date for your shower. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    edited January 2019
    It’s not a formal STD in the mail- two FB messages and one via text.  But no.  If I’m free I’ll come.  I’ll probably be free and I’m sure I’ll attend but a month’s notice is fine.  Okay so it’s not a thing, just my weird family.

I bring a book to every baby shower I attend but agree I hate being told to do so.  Gift suggestions should begin and end with the registry.

edit spelling 
  • banana468 said:
    A STD for a SHOWER?? 

Not for a shower, but I did have a neighbor invite us to their daughter's first birthday.  The invite requested books for gifts.  It was their first child.

I personally didn't mind it and even appreciated being told what to bring.  Because I wouldn't know and would have asked, otherwise.  But I thought of you all on the TK board and knew it was an invite no-no, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A book in lieu of a gift at least makes purchasing sense.   A book costs more than a card!   Ditto for diapers.   Nope.

• @charlotte989875 I was exhausted all last week, despite sleeping 12 hours every night. Lo and behold, I've now been sick all week and stayed home today. I've actually gotten worse every day, instead of better. Fingers crossed you don't get sick!

@CharmedPam Love that picture! I'll have to do something like in our house as well.

@ShesSoCold The next time it happens, I wouldn't say anything. I ordered a sweater for American Eagle about a month ago and it never got any farther than "USPS has received the shipment notice". They did refund my money but I keep hoping it still somehow shows up.
  • CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2019
    eileenrob said:
    It’s not a formal STD in the mail- two FB messages and one via text.  But no.  If I’m free I’ll come.  I’ll probably be free and I’m sure I’ll attend but a month’s notice is fine.  Okay so it’s not a thing, just my weird family.

I bring a book to every baby shower I attend but agree I hate being told to do so.  Gift suggestions should begin and end with the registry.

edit spelling 

H's family does this ALL THE TIME (not formal in the mail ones, but family-wide texts or emails).  And gosh forbid you don't tell my MIL (even if she's not planning the event or sending the STDs) immediately whether you can go or not and if you can't go, you better have a good reason.  She will bother you at least once a week until you get the invite.  Then bother you at least that much until you have confirmed with her that you RSVP'd to the host.  Drives me insane and I do not participate.

My MIL is slightly overbearing if I haven't mentioned that before.

• @Casadena YES you have mentioned her before...you have your hands full!  :#
    Some of my friends did that a few years ago when we were all turning 30 (not to sound like a “Friends” episode lol)...like months of notice for a birthday party. Okay, I’ll try my best to be there. I want to be there.  But all the notice forces things.
  • @CharmedPam, that photo is stunning! It doesn’t look crooked to me, but I think I might need glasses.

Feel better @charlotte989875, and I hope DefConn feels better soon, @mrsconn23.

@Casadena, you definitely have your hands full with MIL! The more I read about you all’s MILs, the more I realize how lucky I am to have mine. 

Slow day at work, which was good because I could get caught up. Taking a night off to hang out with DW, who isn’t feeling well. She’s listening to E Street Radio and reading Harry Potter fanfiction.
  • I've removed sliders from a tub, and it wasn't that bad of a job.
    I will say that the marks from it didn't scrub out well, so the side of the tub never lost the lines from where the doors were, IMO