Wedding Party

Bridal Shower Gift

I am hosting the bridal shower for my future sister in law and my mother said she doesn't think I should get a gift since I'm hosting the shower. I have only been to one other bridal shower and I don't remember if the host gave the bride and groom a gift. I would feel crappy not giving them a gift. Does the host normally give a gift for the shower? I am definitely giving them something for the wedding. I just didn't know how this works. 

Re: Bridal Shower Gift

• I am hosting the bridal shower for my future sister in law and my mother said she doesn't think I should get a gift since I'm hosting the shower. I have only been to one other bridal shower and I don't remember if the host gave the bride and groom a gift. I would feel crappy not giving them a gift. Does the host normally give a gift for the shower? I am definitely giving them something for the wedding. I just didn't know how this works. 
    When I’ve hosted showers I’ve gotten the honoree something small and thoughtful. If you want and can afford to do a gift in addition to the shower I think that’s lovely, but if it’s too much money you definitely don’t need to. I’m with you, I feel weird not doing something, but I definitely wouldn’t spend as much as I would for the wedding or if I was just attending as a guest. 
  • Agree with above - if you'd like to give a gift as well, fantastic.  If not, I really think that's fine too since you're hosting the shower (otherwise, going to a shower with no gift is odd).  Whatever you are comfortable with is fine. 
  • I'd do something small either from the registry or something thoughtful/heartfelt. If it's not in your budget don't feel bad about not buying something. 

• I co-hosted my sister’s shower and agreed felt weird not giving a physical gift. I ended up buying her a gift from her registry around $20 (I usually spend in the $50-100 range). So something but nothing too big.
  • Most of the time when I have hosted I have went in with the other co-hosts to buy something off the registry. Usually no more than $20 each.
  • The shower is a very generous gift. It's not necessary to give another gift, but you may if you like.