Wedding Woes

Yeah, you don't get to decide these things.

Dear Prudence,

This is my wife’s second marriage. She had a daughter from that first marriage, and we have adult children of our own. That first marriage was abusive, and my wife’s sister helped her to escape. When she divorced and left her husband, she also left her child and has never tried to trace or contact her. She finds the whole subject very painful, so much so that she waited to tell me until just before our wedding when she could no longer keep the secret. I think she came close to leaving me rather than have to do that. I have respected her pain and kept the secret through over 30 years of marriage. In particular, our kids have no clue their mom was married before or that they have a sister.

The only evidence was a sealed cardboard box with a few pictures, in our closet. It kept coming along on moves, never opened. Recently, we realized that it would be bad for that box to be discovered by our children, with no explanation, after we were gone. She asked me to dispose of the box, and I did … but I hedged and scanned some of the photos of her and her daughter and secured them so that no one but me can access them. All of this has me rethinking things. I am well aware that genetic testing has the potential to bring this to light at any point in the future. It would be easiest, and maybe best, to let sleeping dogs lie, but there’s a part of me that thinks our kids should hear it from us, and really from my wife, as I can tell them little beyond the bare facts. However, my wife would be hard, or maybe impossible, to convince, and I don’t want to open her wounds unnecessarily. I would love your thoughts on the matter.

—Just Want to Do Right

Re: Yeah, you don't get to decide these things.

• No; you don’t get to decide how and when your wife’s story is shared. She’s made her position quite clear and even by scanning the photos you’re not respecting that. If you want to do what is right you don’t bring this up again. 
  • This isn't his choice.

BUT, it's information that he has.  

IMO the only thing that he can do is say to his wife that there is now genetic testing available that has people finding relatives that they never knew existed.   No one is asking her to make a phone call but would she consider talking about this with their adult children in case this may come to light without her knowledge.  

If she screams and says no then I'd just say, "I respect this and should this come to light we can handle it together." 

Then leave it alone and destroy the evidence. 
  • Yeah I don't like that this guy scanned the pictures. This isn't up to him. He can talk to his wife and express his feelings but then he needs to shut his mouth and destroy the file. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Idk, I think it is something worth talking to her about, specially with people finding lost family members through genetic testing. Even to just prepare/ warn her that it could possibly happen. 

It it doesn’t bother me he scanned the pictures. Maybe he knew it broke her heart to get rid of them but was too afraid to keep them. If there is ever a time she wishes she still had them he can share. If she never brings it up, then he doesn’t.

LW doesn’t say whether the aunt is still around or not. 
  • I know there are lots of stories about the genetic testing revealing family secrets, but how many people is this really happening to in the scheme of the world?  I don't think this is something you need to take preventative actions about, unless LW's wife wants to and it's quite clear she doesn't.  He needs to respect his wife and her wishes.
  • VarunaTT said:
    I know there are lots of stories about the genetic testing revealing family secrets, but how many people is this really happening to in the scheme of the world?  I don't think this is something you need to take preventative actions about, unless LW's wife wants to and it's quite clear she doesn't.  He needs to respect his wife and her wishes.
    I've seen DH find a cousin that he only recently found existed and on a rather intimate local board someone commented that she only found out in her 30s that her father wasn't her real dad.

As these get more popular I think the chances increase. 
  • Last year's figures were 12 million people took the tests.  Out of roughly 325 million people in the US, I think LW can take the chance that he doesn't need to tell anyone just b/c of genetic tests.
  • VarunaTT said:
    Last year's figures were 12 million people took the tests.  Out of roughly 325 million people in the US, I think LW can take the chance that he doesn't need to tell anyone just b/c of genetic tests.
    Totally agree he shouldn't tell anyone himself.   But talking to his wife to advise that even with less than 4% chance the point is that this is something out there that can be found out.   It's for her to consider and her news to tell and he needs to follow her wishes regardless of whether or not he agrees with it. 
  • VarunaTT said:
    So...this feels a bit mansplainy to me, like, "My poor wife, she doesn't really understand the repercussions of her decision and what about genetic testing?!"  I'm pretty confident his wife has thought of these things every.single.day of her life.  I know he thinks he's doing it out of concern, but I really just want him to STFU and listen to what his wife is telling him and do that.
    YES.  Like she really didn't the gravity of the decision and/or hasn't revisited it in the 30 years since?  SHE was the one who had to go through this experience.  He came in to the picture after it was done.  

The patronizing nature of this, regardless of intent, is why it's so bothersome.  
  • VarunaTT said:
    Last year's figures were 12 million people took the tests.  Out of roughly 325 million people in the US, I think LW can take the chance that he doesn't need to tell anyone just b/c of genetic tests.
    Call me paranoid (because I probabl am)but the fact that they can basically connect 60 percent of given white-person in the US w/ these tests now--and expect it to be 90 with in the next 5 years, I dunno, I think in the future it'll be a foregone conclusion.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/11/science/science-genetic-genealogy-study.html

I do wonder if she asked him 'knowing' (hoping?) he'd do this--hence asking him
    instead of doing it herself.
  • Did she not realize that her name is on the abandoned child's birth certificate -  <10 minutes with a good Court Records website and no issue with any DNA testing, just good research.. JS...
  • If I’m honest, I just can’t imagine a situation where you flee your abusive spouse and leave a child behind and never contact them again. To the point when they are an adult you still don’t try to reach out.  I’m sympathetic to the LW’s wife, you never know what goes on in abusive relationships, and I’m not blaming her. It just boggles my mind- if she reached out and the daughter cut ties, that’s one thing, but it feels like she just washed her hands of the daughter and wants to forget about her.

How painful for the daughter.
    I agree with this. It's just odd to me that she left the daughter and never tried to contact her again, even after being safe. LW doesn't say how old the daughter was when the wife left; I'm wondering if she was at risk from her abusive father, or something else.

And then I have a really over-active imagination, and I think there might be more to the story that LW doesn't know. Is the daughter still alive? How old was she when the wife left? Did she stay with the abuser, or did wife arrange for her to be placed elsewhere? 
  • So, I'm not sure I have a point here, but my dad has a son he has no interest in contacting. He signed his rights away in like 1970 and I don't believe he's seem him since. My dad's ex wife wasn't abusive, there wasn't some traumatic thing that happened when they split, it was just over and, from what I understand, her boyfriend adopted the kid. My dad isn't the world's greatest father, by far, but he's not a terrible person either. He doesn't like to talk about Herb (yes, poor guy's name is Herb) but he will if we ask. I'm sure he thinks about Herb but I guess my point is that there are "normal" people who have children they have chosen not to have contact with. 

I think for a lot of people, it's easier to live and die with the same predictable pain you've lived with for the last couple decades, even with the questions and the uncertainties than to open the wound and rub all sorts of salt in it and not know what the outcome will be. 

I'm not trying to say that my dad not contacting his son is great and that I don't have negative feelings or judgement about it, just that you don't necessarily need to be crazy or driven to a breaking point. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019
    Of course I completely understand it’s not black and white, especially with MH, abuse etc . It’s not something taken lightly, and there are a million complicated factors. I don’t want to sound judgemental. I sympathise that you never know what goes on inside these decisions. It’s just that in this particular case, with a known abuser that you have to escape from, to just wash your hands of younger daughter seems really, really sad to me. I don’t know if I have a point either, it just really broke my heart.
  • So, I'm not sure I have a point here, but my dad has a son he has no interest in contacting. He signed his rights away in like 1970 and I don't believe he's seem him since. My dad's ex wife wasn't abusive, there wasn't some traumatic thing that happened when they split, it was just over and, from what I understand, her boyfriend adopted the kid. My dad isn't the world's greatest father, by far, but he's not a terrible person either. He doesn't like to talk about Herb (yes, poor guy's name is Herb) but he will if we ask. I'm sure he thinks about Herb but I guess my point is that there are "normal" people who have children they have chosen not to have contact with. 

I think for a lot of people, it's easier to live and die with the same predictable pain you've lived with for the last couple decades, even with the questions and the uncertainties than to open the wound and rub all sorts of salt in it and not know what the outcome will be. 

I'm not trying to say that my dad not contacting his son is great and that I don't have negative feelings or judgement about it, just that you don't necessarily need to be crazy or driven to a breaking point. 
    This seems more, I don't know, logical to me. I wouldn't presume to know your dad's thoughts, but I could see a line of reasoning that the child is better off with his mother and step-dad. Or that having a bio-dad on the side would be confusing for the kid, especially in the 70's.

Still none of my business, and I certainly don't know the full story. I'm just baffled by leaving a child with an abuser and never looking back. 

This seems more, I don't know, logical to me. I wouldn't presume to know your dad's thoughts, but I could see a line of reasoning that the child is better off with his mother and step-dad. Or that having a bio-dad on the side would be confusing for the kid, especially in the 70's.

Still none of my business, and I certainly don't know the full story. I'm just baffled by leaving a child with an abuser and never looking back. 
    I'm sort of in this as well.

I cannot imagine leaving a situation where I felt that my safety was at risk but I would leave my child.  It's heartbreaking.

Maybe instead of being more mansplainey I'd try to see if my spouse would consider therapy - this seems so unresolved and while I cannot imagine what someone is thinking  as a parent I feel like I"d want to know.

• edited January 2019
    So, I'm not sure I have a point here, but my dad has a son he has no interest in contacting. He signed his rights away in like 1970 and I don't believe he's seem him since. My dad's ex wife wasn't abusive, there wasn't some traumatic thing that happened when they split, it was just over and, from what I understand, her boyfriend adopted the kid. My dad isn't the world's greatest father, by far, but he's not a terrible person either. He doesn't like to talk about Herb (yes, poor guy's name is Herb) but he will if we ask. I'm sure he thinks about Herb but I guess my point is that there are "normal" people who have children they have chosen not to have contact with. 

OH DUH! I didn't make the "leaving the child with an abuser" connection and I was responding to the broader thought of "why would any parent ever leave". Yeah, I agree with you 100% on that. Thanks for explaining.

Edited to finish my thought.
  • So I’ve got a lot of thoughts on the follow up here. 

After working with the DV non-profit last year we had cases where the absuive partner would only let (and I even mean physically let a person out of a house) if they left without the children. Or where the abuser threatened to kill their partner/their family/other people if they tried to take the child. Or in cases is custody the judge assigned custody to the abuser because of any number of factors. Often times the abuser never hurt the child, only the partner. Or that the abuse was so horrific the person had to leave in the middle of the night, break all contact, change their name/info/identity because they would be killed if they left any trace behind. These are heartbreaking, but very real scenarios. I get many people here aren’t trying to judge, but the reality is in many cases someone is quiet actually fleeing for their life.

I don’t think we get to judge how they quiet literally decide to keep themselves alive. 

This was the impression I had about the LW's wife's situation because the phrase he used was "my wife's sister helped her to escape".  Using the word "escape" instead of "leave" spoke volumes to me.

I also find it odd she didn't look for her daughter, once she was old enough to be an adult.  But she may have had good reasons in her own mind and I don't judge her.

I've told this story before, but my H's bio-mom left her abusive husband, who was the father to their 4 sons.  She did take her sons with her but almost immediately put them all up for adoption.  They were between the ages of 2-8, with my H being the youngest.  As adults, one of the brothers found my H and gave him their bio-mom's contact info.  However, the brother has never contacted her and has said he never will.  He was 6 when he was put up for adoption.  He remembers her, the abandonment he felt, and has never forgiven her.

However, my H contacted her and they've even spoken about her decision.  She was pragmatic about it.  She said it was hard for her to put up her sons for adoption, but she felt it was what she had to do and they'd have a better life without her.  She was also honest.  That she had gone on to live her life and, over time, didn't think about them very often.  She never looked for any of her sons because she didn't feel she had the right to.  But she did welcome the contact from my H.  They've met a couple times, though that was many years ago.  They keep in occasional contact.  From her, he found out who his bio-dad was, but that man was already passed away.

Wedding Countdown Ticker