Wedding Woes

Tuesday

We're on a 2 hr delay because of the cold.  I hate 2 hr delays. Lots of stupid things today. 

• 2 hr delay
  • I'm hosting card club and one player is stuck in FL. 
  • I emailed support for the product we sell and got a reply "Support desk will be out of office Monday, 1/21/19, to recognize the US Holiday.  All emails will be addressed when the desk returns on Wednesday, 1/22/19. " Apparently they don't like Tuesdays either.
  • Soccer team doesn't seem to want book hotel rooms before the cut off and I'm too nice to tell them tough shit. 
  • I assume we have futsal games this weekend, but the schedule hasn't been released yet.
  • I asked the team if they want to do a tournament in a few weeks and got crickets, now parents are emailing to ask for details on it.  NOBODY SAID YES.

Things from the weekend I apparently blocked:

• I was at the hotel pool with my kids.  A man was in there with 3 kids.  Both of us were dinking around on our phones.  I got up to say something to my kids, glanced at his phone...he was looking at naked women.  I saw him flip through a couple before he heard me walking.
  • My BIL got a portrait tattoo of their grandma.  He had it surrounded by roses to commemorate Grandpa.  Grandma and Grandpa were divorced forever.  Grandma was remarried for over 50 years.
  • Apparently there was a dinner to commemorate the one year anniversary of Grandma's passing.  The day after MIL sent a text "maybe you can make it next year."  Maybe next year she'll TELL US ABOUT IT!

Re: Tuesday

• Oh and my vegan brownies turned out pretty darn good. 
  • Back to the real world today. It has been strange because I was home Wednesday with a sick kid, back to work Thurs but had to leave early bc of said sick kid, home with him on Friday and then weekend now sleet/snow + me catching his stomach bug, then off yesterday for MLK day so it's been basically a week since I've had a normal workday. Fingers crossed no more sickness. 

Walmart has a bunch of toys hitting 75% off clearance so if you're in the market for birthday parties it is worth a look. Saw some good deals yesterday but didn't buy anything
  • WTF, MIL!! Ugh I would be pissed!! 

So, my dad is supposed to come over tonight to scope out the house and help H get a list going of what we need. My dad is also retired from the local airport, but he is still on call to plow when it snows. We're supposed to get snow and ice and rain and all kinds of shit today. H's best friend called him last night to invite us to the Hawks game tonight. H declined because my dad is coming over. It's gunna suck when Dad doesn't come because he's plowing and we didn't go to the Hawks game (for free, in a box, with a local sports news guy).
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • SSC any chance you can reschedule with your dad? 
  • @6fsn, good luck with your frazzled day!

My day has not started out well either, starting from last night.  The duplexes I was interested in all went under contract before my agent could get the PA out.  I knew it was a long shot, but I was still really disappointed.  Oh well.  I'll assume it's for the best.

One of my neighbors was pounding on their back door at 1AM last night, for what felt like 15 minutes.  I was able to fall right back asleep when they were done.  But I don't do well having my sleep interrupted and now I am beyond exhausted.

I'm trying to shake off the humbugs with lots of coffee and turn it into a happy, productive day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That’s a bummer @ShesSoCold if he skips the game and your Dad doesn’t come. 

I’m with you @kvruns it feels like I haven’t been in the office in ages. 

Weekend was good; stopped and saw my sister & family Friday night. We had a dance party and ate tons of pizza. Saturday was a long run, some cleaning, & H went out/ I vegged out and watched TV. Sunday was more cleaning/organizing and the terrible football games. 

Yesterday I stopped over at my friends house; she stays home with her 8mo old twins and with the cold she was a little stir crazy. Just a nice catch up and hanging with the babies. And some Daniel Tiger. 

Not much happening this week. Work, house projects, more work. Pretty boring these days. 

• Oh man, SSC - missing out on the game!! Hope your dad does come by so it wasnt a missed opportunity! 
    Sucks a about the delay 6.  Was it a good weekend though?

I had Monday off and it was glorious.  Did some shopping for spring/summer clothes.  May have bought a pair of workout capris that I have no business wearing but they felt like butter and I said “eh, i’ll fit them eventually”.  Wasn’t going to pass up on butter pants. (champion at Target btw - 30% off).  On Saturday I went to get my window chip repaired and they couldn’t fix it so it cracked more.  Today, it spread and half the damn windshield is cracked.  This is the replacement I got from the summer so it’s cracked 2 times in what...Six months?  So sick of my cx3!  My friend loves her cx9 so I’m betting they make the cx5 and cx9 better but could care less about the 3’s!  Ugh!

• Oh man, SSC - missing out on the game!! Hope your dad does come by so it wasnt a missed opportunity! 
    Sucks a about the delay 6.  Was it a good weekend though?

I had Monday off and it was glorious.  Did some shopping for spring/summer clothes.  May have bought a pair of workout capris that I have no business wearing but they felt like butter and I said “eh, i’ll fit them eventually”.  Wasn’t going to pass up on butter pants. (champion at Target btw - 30% off).  On Saturday I went to get my window chip repaired and they couldn’t fix it so it cracked more.  Today, it spread and half the damn windshield is cracked.  This is the replacement I got from the summer so it’s cracked 2 times in what...Six months?  So sick of my cx3!  My friend loves her cx9 so I’m betting they make the cx5 and cx9 better but could care less about the 3’s!  Ugh!
    That sucks Pam; can you take the car back to where it was replaced last time? That seems odd to have to replace it that frequently 
  • That sucks Pam; can you take the car back to where it was replaced last time? That seems odd to have to replace it that frequently 
    Yeah I’m putting a call in now.  The shied is under warranty but I think I still have to pay for labor. 

• I had the worst migraine last night. My mom had told me she put ice on her neck last time she had a bad one. It worked, but not long after I removed the ice, the migraine came back. 

We're going skiing in two weeks, and I cannot wait! I need a break. 
  • H declined the Hawks tickets before he even told me about it. I would totally have bailed on my dad. It would have been handy too because my sister is going to the game with work, so we could have driven her home, rather than have her take the train alone and walk to our house. 

Stupid H being "responsible". 

Pam, I have 4 pairs of nearly identical workout pants because they felt so nice. I totally get it. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Hoping your mom gets a good read @mrsconn23 and sorry about missing the box seats @ShesSoCold

I’m glad to be back at work/have the kids back at school after the long weekend.  I actually just received an email from the director of a counseling program at a school I wanted to work at- I’d applied and went through FOUR rounds of interviews only to not get the position. This was all late Aug/early Sept.  But she wants me to come in to discuss an opening. I said I’d be there.  So fingers crossed.
  • eileenrob said:
    Hoping your mom gets a good read @mrsconn23 and sorry about missing the box seats @ShesSoCold

I’m glad to be back at work/have the kids back at school after the long weekend.  I actually just received an email from the director of a counseling program at a school I wanted to work at- I’d applied and went through FOUR rounds of interviews only to not get the position. This was all late Aug/early Sept.  But she wants me to come in to discuss an opening. I said I’d be there.  So fingers crossed.

I think I remember that.  Good luck!  Obviously you were a strong contender last time to have had so many interview rounds.  Hopefully now the time is right.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • eileenrob said:
    Hoping your mom gets a good read @mrsconn23 and sorry about missing the box seats @ShesSoCold

I think I remember that.  Good luck!  Obviously you were a strong contender last time to have had so many interview rounds.  Hopefully now the time is right.
    Thank you! I’m interested to hear more about the position that’s being offered- I still check the organization’s site from time to time, nothing is posted. So we’ll see.
  • eileenrob said:

Fingers crossed!!

S+S it is a good show so definitely get those tix even if you can't get them for free
  • Sounds promsing Elieenrob.  FX it’s what you want!
    book of mormom:  was OK.  I overpaid for my tickets too and I was a bit salty about it.  Had it been around the $100 mark that would have changed things for me.  O that note:  i had no problems paying $500 for Hamilton! 

book of mormom:  was OK.  I overpaid for my tickets too and I was a bit salty about it.  Had it been around the $100 mark that would have changed things for me.  O that note:  i had no problems paying $500 for Hamilton! 

Hamilton is playing at the same theatre next month.  But the "cheap" seats are $280-$500/each.  I'm not even going to bother asking the client about those.  They definitely do a "ticket hierarchy" for their freebies.  Company big-wigs first.  Then their own employees.  Then the measly contractor employees, which is the category I'm in, lol.  I'm not complaining, though.  It makes sense their own employees get first dibs.  It's nice they even offer us the leftovers.

And Oh!  There was a big kerfluffle last week in my area and a lot of PO'ed people.  The first day of tickets for Hamilton AND tickets for the Jazz Fest Stones concert happened on the same day at the same (or similar) time.  Ticketmaster crashed and people who were waiting in the online queue's were dropped.  Some people could get into the site.  Some couldn't.  Lots of frustrations.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Hamilton is playing at the same theatre next month.  But the "cheap" seats are $280-$500/each.  I'm not even going to bother asking the client about those.  They definitely do a "ticket hierarchy" for their freebies.  Company big-wigs first.  Then their own employees.  Then the measly contractor employees, which is the category I'm in, lol.  I'm not complaining, though.  It makes sense their own employees get first dibs.  It's nice they even offer us the leftovers.

And Oh!  There was a big kerfluffle last week in my area and a lot of PO'ed people.  The first day of tickets for Hamilton AND tickets for the Jazz Fest Stones concert happened on the same day at the same (or similar) time.  Ticketmaster crashed and people who were waiting in the online queue's were dropped.  Some people could get into the site.  Some couldn't.  Lots of frustrations.

I thought they organized that so two big events didn’t go on sale at 10:00 on Friday at the same time!

• Wow, anytime Hamilton tickets go on sale Ticketmaster has problems. I remember the first time I bought tickets in Chicago it was terrible! I ended up just calling the office and got through faster that way than on the internet.

Well I've been organizing up a storm after watching Marie Kondo! I can't believe how nice all the drawers and shelves in my bedroom look!! I still have to tackle my purses but clothing looks pretty good. Next will be the kitchen. I'll need to get H on board to hit the books and stuff in the basement. He has started working on his part of the closet. We even bought storage boxed to put on the shelves in the closet. I hope we can keep the momentum going!

I thought they organized that so two big events didn’t go on sale at 10:00 on Friday at the same time!
    I know for sure it was the same day, but it may not have been exactly the same time.  People made it sound that way on NextDoor and local forum posts.  But I suspected it was probably the same timeframe, ie the morning.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My guess is that it's an issue with a server that simply can't handle an influx of major traffic that goes at the same time.   J.Crew's server couldn't handle their black Friday traffic either and with Hamilton or any major show you have all the people jumping at the same time for the best available seats for a finite span vs. their show on Broadway that's not going anywhere. 

But it's still piss poor management.   

It happened at a local level with the theater in Hartford which did not sell through Ticketmaster but it took me nearly an hour to buy tickets when Hamilton was sold.   I went into a waiting room!  It was SUCH a pain but ultimately DH and I scored two tickets for the 27th of December and they were about $200 ea.  
  • Fingers crossed for you, @eileenrob, and sending healing vibes for your mom and you, @mrsconn23!

Hope you get some relief soon, @climbingwife

Back at work today. Typical stuff went down over the weekend, nothing too surprising. We are shorthanded, though, so I ended up staying two hours late. I need the comp time because MIL has a doctor’s appointment early in March and I can’t use FMLA to take her. (Spouses, children, and parents only, as far as I know.) Plus it’s nice getting work done without being interrupted.

I did some writing last night. Tinkered with an old poem and wrote a couple new ones. I’m going to bring them to the next meeting of my writers’ group and get some feedback. 

Our new-ish housemate (she moved in in November) told us tonight she is definitely moving in with her girlfriend in Columbus sooner rather than later. I’m not entirely surprised because her job was only going to run until June or July. We’re happy for her and wish her the best. We’re going to revisit the whole roommate idea after MIL gets settled. The money is nice but not absolutely necessary. I kind of want to turn the upstairs space into a study/craft room and get a decent bed for the spare bedroom since all we have in there is a futon.

DW is watching the Australian Open, and I should be looking for news for my peace group’s FB page (I just got made an editor) and preparing for my feminist book discussion on Saturday.

• I have the same ticket problem every year for our local Symphony Christmas program. The site always crashes and then goes super slow the day tickets are released for regular purchase. We have certain seats I always try to get so I try to do it right away and it is always a mess. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019
    Fingers crossed for you, @eileenrob, and sending healing vibes for your mom and you, @mrsconn23!

Hope you get some relief soon, @climbingwife

Back at work today. Typical stuff went down over the weekend, nothing too surprising. We are shorthanded, though, so I ended up staying two hours late. I need the comp time because MIL has a doctor’s appointment early in March and I can’t use FMLA to take her. (Spouses, children, and parents only, as far as I know.) Plus it’s nice getting work done without being interrupted.

I did some writing last night. Tinkered with an old poem and wrote a couple new ones. I’m going to bring them to the next meeting of my writers’ group and get some feedback. 

Our new-ish housemate (she moved in in November) told us tonight she is definitely moving in with her girlfriend in Columbus sooner rather than later. I’m not entirely surprised because her job was only going to run until June or July. We’re happy for her and wish her the best. We’re going to revisit the whole roommate idea after MIL gets settled. The money is nice but not absolutely necessary. I kind of want to turn the upstairs space into a study/craft room and get a decent bed for the spare bedroom since all we have in there is a futon.

DW is watching the Australian Open, and I should be looking for news for my peace group’s FB page (I just got made an editor) and preparing for my feminist book discussion on Saturday.

I don't know if you're in an area with good tourism/conventions/events or temp workers, but AirBnB'ing your extra room would be something to look into.  You might make more money that way and its much more flexible than a roommate.  For example, if you don't want guests for the whole month of Dec., just block those dates out.  You can also activate/deactivate the listing with a few clicks.

If you go to Airbnb, you can do a search for your neighborhood.  Look for listings that are a room instead of a whole house.  That will give you an idea of the popularity and pricing you could expect. 

One of the women on a finance board I frequent, rents out their spare room on Airbnb.  They've been doing it for years.  They enjoy it and make about an extra $700/mo., sometimes more.

Edited to add:

There are also organizations that place international students (college) into people's homes.  One of the other members of that board has done it a few times.  She said it was a wonderful experience.  It pays super well, but it's also more involved.  For example, the rent has to include all utilities.  Even all meals usually need to be provided by the host family.  I've seen ads for host families where I live (MCOL area).  They advertise $1,000-$1200/mo. to rent a room in someone's home.  Which is more than double the going rate and more than even what most 1-bedroom rentals would be.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That’s a great idea, S+S!