Wedding Woes

Looking like we can't afford the rings...

So, my fiance and I decided a month ago that we wanted to get married this year instead of next.  The one problem is that we just bought a house and can no longer afford everything.  We are having the reception and ceremony in his parent's backyard; our close friend is the officient (which is what we wanted); we couldn't afford catering so his parents are cooking the pulled pork sandwiches and handling the rest (we wanted a bbq style); his parents got his tux and his brother (his only groomsmen); my mom paid for the dress and accessories (everything but the alterations, which killed the bank account); his parents paid for our honeymoon; now we are still waiting to pay for renting all the tables, chairs, and plates, the flowers, and the rings.  What makes the rings so hard is when my FH bought my engagement ring, the lady at the jeweler told him that the band came first.  So he bought an expensive band with 7 small diamonds in it.  Now he says he wants to give me the engagement ring I deserve.  And his ring is going to cost too.
We really wanted to do all of this on our own.  So, asking my mom for help has already been hard.  She was the one telling us not to go through with it this year because we couldn't afford it and she swears that her and dad can't afford much either. 
I just really don't know where to cut prices. We're just so excited to get married; it would break your heart, like it is mine, to see the pain in my FH's face when he looks at the bank accounts knowing he can't give me my dream.  He was almost in tears last night! 
Any advice I get will help!  Please let the advice flow!

Re: Looking like we can't afford the rings...

• Sloane99Sloane99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If everyone is telling you that you can't afford it, and those that have contributed financially are telling you they're basically tapped out then it's time to shift some priorities here.
    2 IVFs & 1 FET. Welcome home baby girl!
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    gary bought amber a ring at wal=mart for less than $20.

you don't have to have it all now (you plan to be married for a while, yes?).  get whatever you can afford now, and then replace it -- if you want -- at an anniversary or some other occasion.
  • loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

His ring doesn't have to be that much, zales has these men's titanium rings for $79.

• MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If everyone else is paying for your wedding and you still can't afford wedding rings, you should wait until you CAN afford them. 
  • TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you can't afford the rings, how do you think you're going to afford marriage. Your mom is right. Wait.
  • loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would also suggest a credit card with 0% interest or seeing what payment options the jewelry store has for your ring
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_looking-like-cant-afford-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:0ceadb6c-7710-4927-8940-5904be380983Post:84be2046-7a24-4ada-b1a9-36f05ae64d7a">Re: Looking like we can't afford the rings...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If everyone else is paying for your wedding and you still can't afford wedding rings, you should wait until you CAN afford them. 
    Posted by MrsMyrtle[/QUOTE]

This.
    My engagement ring wasn't super cheap but my wedding band =$50.
    His was like $150.  And we didn't go *super cheap* on them, we just bought what we liked--it happened to be cheap and simple.
  • notamrsnotamrs member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You don't need to have an expensive ring to get married.  It's lovely that he wants to get you the "ring you deserve," but if you can't afford it now, you'll need to go with a less expensive option and save up to get your dream ring later.
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]I would also suggest a credit card with 0% interest or seeing what payment options the jewelry store has for your ring
    Posted by loop0406[/QUOTE]

what a truly terrible idea.  now please don't ever contribute anything ever again.

good day.
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    paying for your general living expenses trumps wedding expenses. if you're not paying for any component of your wedding, and you can't afford any extras, you need to wait on the wedding and save up some cash. 

you don't even *need* rings to get married. there are plenty of people that don't wear wedding bands. 

you should be asking about budgeting your cash, and not how to buy an unnecessary extra. 
  • MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jesusmary, I second Hmo. Yes, let's solve our problems by taking out a credit card! Yay for fake money!
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    You bought a house, but now have no extra money at all? What will you do when the furnace blows up, or there's a leak in the roof, or the oven stops working? Why didn't you work out a monthly budget before you bought the house? 

I can't even touch the wedding, because this is so much more important than a party. Or maybe that's all I have to say about it - your house, and having a budget that will accommodate unexpected expenses are so much more important than forcing everyone you know to throw you a party.

I don't think you're mature enough for a house OR for marriage.
  • TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Zilla, my guess is the jeweler realized he didn't have the cash for much of an engagement ring and decided to trick him into spending what he had on the band because she'd get a higher margin for it. Also, once you have a diamond encrusted wedding band you might feel a litte more like you need some big bling to go with it.

Instead of spending $1K on an engagement ring and coming back with $100 for the band, he spent $1K on a band and will come back with $5K for a diamond. Obviously I made up the numbers, but you get what I mean.
  • edited December 2011

You can buy something simple for now and just upgrade it as you go along. What kind of ring does he want to give you? It seems he does want to give you something really really nice and it's stressing him out just "thinking about it" Just wait. That way he wont be stressing about it because he doesn't have enough to make the payments.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_looking-like-cant-afford-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:0ceadb6c-7710-4927-8940-5904be380983Post:b50aae36-00d4-413b-a0b2-ae812b835cb5">Re: Looking like we can't afford the rings...</a>:
    [QUOTE]what a truly terrible idea.  now please don't ever contribute anything ever again. good day.
    Posted by hmonkey[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100000%.  Good god.

• DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "The one problem is that we just bought a house and can no longer afford everything. " 

Honestly, it looks like you can no longer afford ANYTHING.  You're not paying for a venue, or food, or attire, or your honeymoon? 

And alterations KILLED your bank account?!   I mean, I know alterations can be expensive, but not enough to "kill" the bank account of a responsible adult homeowner.  My alterations were $45.  I can't imagine alterations costing more than $500 at the very high end.

I agree with everyone else.  JOP it if you want to be married so badly, then throw a kickass party in a year or two.  Or cut the guest list so you can cut the budget.  But if you're already living together, I don't see the huge rush. 

And for god's sake, save some money for when your toiilet breaks and you need a new flusher handle.

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_looking-like-cant-afford-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:0ceadb6c-7710-4927-8940-5904be380983Post:03b2262f-52e2-4215-86a3-9c517893de9a">Re: Looking like we can't afford the rings...</a>:
    [QUOTE]You bought a house, but now have no extra money at all? What will you do when the furnace blows up, or there's a leak in the roof, or the oven stops working? Why didn't you work out a monthly budget before you bought the house?  I can't even touch the wedding, because this is so much more important than a party. Or maybe that's all I have to say about it - your house, and having a budget that will accommodate unexpected expenses are so much more important than forcing everyone you know to throw you a party. I don't think you're mature enough for a house OR for marriage.
    Posted by baconsmom[/QUOTE]

This.  Alterations killed a bank account and you can't afford a wedding band?  You need to be posting on Money Matters to get your finances under control.  Then worry about a wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    I want to thank everyone a ton for their advice!  I noticed it did get a bit heated up there, and you all have some great reasons to seem frustrated with my ignorance.  Let me clear a few things up.  We originally were going to wait a full year after we got engaged because of the house, but we got really excited after seeing one of my friends get married and decided to go for it.  My FH bough my engagement ring (which is actually a wedding band because the lady at the jeweler switched them up and said the big ring is the wedding) a year ago.  So, now he wants me to have the big diamond (big for me is 1/3carat).  We thought that we could do it if we held the ceremony/reception at a free location, got a good deal on food, and didn't invite too many people.  Now please give me a bit more credit than what some of you are doing. We can afford all of the bills that we are now accruing, the hardship came when I was not able to find a job until just recently.  So, right now we can afford all of our bills and we have extra money for emergencies. There is just not enough for the wedding plus those things.
    Anyways, thank you all so much for the advice.  We decided to postpone, also because a lot of our family members (extended) cannot attend.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_looking-like-cant-afford-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:0ceadb6c-7710-4927-8940-5904be380983Post:a726e25d-f9a9-491c-ab82-7fc02da76be8">Re: Looking like we can't afford the rings...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I want to thank everyone a ton for their advice!  I noticed it did get a bit heated up there, and you all have some great reasons to seem frustrated with my ignorance.  Let me clear a few things up.  We originally were going to wait a full year after we got engaged because of the house, but we got really excited after seeing one of my friends get married and decided to go for it.  My FH bough my engagement ring (which is actually a wedding band because the lady at the jeweler switched them up and said the big ring is the wedding) a year ago.  So, now he wants me to have the big diamond (big for me is 1/3carat).  We thought that we could do it if we held the ceremony/reception at a free location, got a good deal on food, and didn't invite too many people.  Now please give me a bit more credit than what some of you are doing. We can afford all of the bills that we are now accruing, the hardship came when I was not able to find a job until just recently.  So, right now we can afford all of our bills and we have extra money for emergencies. There is just not enough for the wedding plus those things. Anyways, thank you all so much for the advice.  We decided to postpone, also because a lot of our family members (extended) cannot attend.
    Posted by bdancer88[/QUOTE]

I think it's great that you're excited and want to be married asap but agree with others that you have a lot going on right now and maybe waiting a year would be for the best.  Good luck.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• Chasity08Chasity08 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_looking-like-cant-afford-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:0ceadb6c-7710-4927-8940-5904be380983Post:b50aae36-00d4-413b-a0b2-ae812b835cb5">Re: Looking like we can't afford the rings...</a>:
    [QUOTE]what a truly terrible idea.  now please don't ever contribute anything ever again. good day.
    Posted by hmonkey[/QUOTE]

Agreed. If they can't afford to pay for their own wedding or even buy rings...a credit card is obviously not a smart financial decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards