Military Brides

applying for a marriage license

Hey all,

I was just wondering how I would go about getting a marriage license while FI is down at base.  We have to get the marriage license in Pennsylvania within 60 days prior to the wedding, but his ship(he's in the Navy) is being really strict on giving him leave since they're already giving him special leave for the wedding.  He's coming home about 4 days prior to the wedding, but once we apply for the license there is a three day waiting period until we can get the marriage license back unless we pay extra to waive the waiting period.  Is getting a marriage license the day before or even the week of the wedding cutting it too close?

Re: applying for a marriage license

• edited December 2011
    Agh, sorry this isn't an answer! Just commiserating- we're in the (almost)same position! Our wedding is in MA and he's in CA right now(also Navy)- I'll be lflying back like 12 days before the wedding to do last minute, and we have to figure out how much leave he'll have to take to come home and get the license in time. We also have a 3 day waiting period, but I'm worried about him flying home Tuesday night or Wednesday to get the license for a wedding on Saturday.
    He mentioned there might be some kind of military thing where you could get the license earlier (or in our case, apply together in CA) or maybe forego the waiting period if you show them his orders? It's worth asking at town hall or wherever. 
    Sorry that was no help, good luck to you!!
    Nimi and Little Bite Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    You should be able to waive the three day waiting period if he is active duty military.
    http://dsf.chesco.org/wills/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=609227
    This site has some info, but I was try and contact your local county marriage office and ask specific questions.
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Most people get their mariage license a few days before the wedding.  We got ours the day before. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

In Minnesota we can get it up to 6 months before however he is only home during holidays so here is what we did.

In Minnesota if both parties can't be present you have him fill out his portion and get it notarized in addition you have to fill out a supplement form and get that notarized as well. I went to the courthouse with both forms, signed mine in front of the clerk after I took the oath and gave them the forms and was out of there within 5 minutes and got our license a couple days later.

My Uncle is a notary so it was very simple for us. I would look around online at your local court website and see if there is something similar otherwise call the clerk and ask! :)

• edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!  I'll do some research on figuring this out. :-)
  • ksmitcheksmitche member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having this same issue because I'm in NC and my fiance is stationed in TX, but the courthouse in TX allows the waiting period to be waived if someone is on active duty, I'm not sure if it is different or the same in different states, but it is worth asking. Hope this helps.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_applying-marriage-license?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:b30c4004-2774-42f6-848d-a86fdbd17b42Post:47f86bec-cbe5-4dcc-972e-59c1806cd2b1">Re: applying for a marriage license</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Minnesota we can get it up to 6 months before however he is only home during holidays so here is what we did. In Minnesota if both parties can't be present you have him fill out his portion and get it notarized in addition you have to fill out a supplement form and get that notarized as well. I went to the courthouse with both forms, signed mine in front of the clerk after I took the oath and gave them the forms and was out of there within 5 minutes and got our license a couple days later. My Uncle is a notary so it was very simple for us. I would look around online at your local court website and see if there is something similar otherwise call the clerk and ask! :)
    Posted by shan87[/QUOTE]

haha Shan you beat me to it. While most states have a minimum number of days, they also have a max number. Apply for it early if you know he'll have leave. FI and I applied for the marriage license in December but our wedding isn't until April. So its currently just sitting in a folder waiting to be signed and mailed out :)
  • edited December 2011
    The maximum number in Pennsylvania is 60 days so it makes that a little more difficult, otherwise we'd just go for it now. :-)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_applying-marriage-license?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:b30c4004-2774-42f6-848d-a86fdbd17b42Post:20e7b2ed-f825-4e80-90e1-584b044c9347">Re: applying for a marriage license</a>:
    [QUOTE]The maximum number in Pennsylvania is 60 days so it makes that a little more difficult, otherwise we'd just go for it now. :-)
    Posted by lef5042[/QUOTE]

Well if PA is like MN then next time FI is home he can get his stuff notarized and then you can go by yourself with his forms and get it within 60 days. :) but more than 5 or the wait period.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards