March 2013 Weddings

why the wait?

I'm curious to know why people chose to wait until 2013 to get married?

For myself, my fiance and I are waiting until I graduate with my degree. I will graduate Fall 2012 with my bachelors degree and then we'll get married in March. I am on a scholarship, in which I need to be a dependent of my dad in order to keep it, along with a high gpa, of course.  I really wish I could marry him sooner, but I try to tell myself that "good things come to those who wait".
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: why the wait?

• We are waiting so we can finish school as well. Next year, I will have my BA degree and begin pharmacy school and he will be done as well, so we decided to do it in 2013!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are saving up the funding. And its still going to be low budget. Also, WE are waiting for a year after Im scheduled to move in. Its all about logics and planning for us.
  • My fiance and I are buying a condo together, and want to be able to save up for a wedding after living together for a while.  March is when we first started dating so it made sense to get married a couple years after meeting in the same place we met, not to mention an easy to remember anniversary date.
  • Bex229Bex229 member
    First Comment
    We graduate on March '12 from college, so we decided to wait a year to save up money and become more established. It was originally going to be Sept. '12 to get married, but we figured that we can really use that extra 6 months to save. We're having a low budget wedding as well ($5000 God willing) Plus, our anniversary is in March too. Overall, it's a win-win and the perfect date for us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Me and my FH are waiting till March 2013 for a couple diff reasons.

1. I graduate May of 2012. Being 1 of 4 girls, im stubborn in my ways and would like to have my Maiden name on my first degree. Its a way to honor my familys last name as the first to go to college. && i dont have to worry because ill have 2 more after that with my New married names :)
    2. Me and my Fiance are currently looking at buying a house at the end of this year when our apartment lease is up.
    3. Money!!! Even though my mother is helping with a lot of the expenses, i feel it will be easier all around to wait it out the extra year to make sure i can handle/afford what i want, and not start out our marriage in (too much) debt. lol

I just feel between the joys of buying a house and finishing school all in one year.. i couldnt handle the added stress of fully planning a wedding in one year.. not to mention my heart is set on a spring time wedding, and getting married in 2012 would force me to have a wedding in the middle of my nursing finals.

I figured "Good things come to those who wait". Weve already been together since 2004, whats an extra year!

Im excited to have a place to share ideas and thoughts with people in my same situation. I would rather not drive all my friends crazy! :)

Happy Planning!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I personally would love to skip the whole "Big Day" and just get married, but that's not an option in my family. So we are waiting so my FH can spend 2012 applying to Med School and focus on his interviews without us having to worry about me relocating, looking for jobs and distracting his application process. Sucks being responsible, but at the same time I am loving all this time to plan!!

At the same time, this allows us to pay here and there instead of one BIG payment. We are lucky are parents are helping us, but at the same time we are trying to help contribute as well. Weddings are so expensive, I do not like asking one person to be responsible for the bill.

Congrats to you all and best wishes!!
  • We are also waiting so we have enough time to save! We are lucky to have both sets of parents contributing, but we will be paying for whatever we spend outside of their contributions. Plus we are getting married in our hometown, not where we currently live so we will be traveling back and forth to plan the wedding, so we need some extra time!Laughing
  • edited January 2012
    We are waiting for 03/23/13, we wanted our wedding to be on a 23rd because both our birthdays are on 23rd of different months.  (and I will be 23 when we get married) :)  Besides the date, before then my FI is finishing law enforcement degree, we are moving out of state and buying a house.  Going to be a busy year!
  • Another good reason to get married in March...it's tax season LOL.  Especially if you're expecting a sizable refund!
  • After we got engaged in March 2011, we were not in a hurry to get married.  Then we thought we were going to finally have the wedding in October 2012 because it'll be our 3 year anniversary.  Started looking at venues at the beginning of this year and most places are already booked for October.....So we just pushed it back to march.   

Now we have plenty of time to plan and it will be the month we got engaged.  (I like that it's tax season too!  LOL) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards