Wedding Etiquette Forum

Congratulations to the groom, Best Wishes to the bride?

I recently heard that it is proper etiquette to use "congratulations" when speaking to a groom, and "best wishes" in addressing a bride. This is news to me; can anyone provide any insight on the reasoning behind this tradition?
Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Congratulations to the groom, Best Wishes to the bride?

• It is because the man is the one who is supposed to have gotten the real catch, not the other way around. That is why you congratulate the man vs the woman.
    Photobucket
  • interesting, I'd never heard of this before.
  • Ah, I see. Thanks, makes sense!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_congratulations-to-the-groom-best-wishes-to-the-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1db81886-6672-4606-b30f-2abbbd7d37dfPost:96edc0e9-7cc4-4719-9414-95b0665a2eda">Re: Congratulations to the groom, Best Wishes to the bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]interesting, I'd never heard of this before.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]
    me either....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_congratulations-to-the-groom-best-wishes-to-the-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1db81886-6672-4606-b30f-2abbbd7d37dfPost:96edc0e9-7cc4-4719-9414-95b0665a2eda">Re: Congratulations to the groom, Best Wishes to the bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]interesting, I'd never heard of this before.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

Me either and I find it silly. I consider my FI to be an awesome catch.
  • I only know about this because of Gilmore Girls.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Probally because it's congrats to the groom for the great catch, best wishes to the bride to put up with him? 

Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend. - Andrew Futral

• I only heard about this during my bachelorette party.  H's best man's wife came out with us and the first guy that told me 'congratulations', she gave the little speech to him that "congratulations are for the groom, best wishes are for the bride'.  Then it became a running joke all night that any time someone told me 'congratulations', she'd correct them.

...I don't think there was a single person who told me "best wishes".
    Anniversary
  • I had never heard of it before either, until I went in to the jewelry store to purchase our wedding bands. The sales girl was new and said congratulations to me. Her manager heard her and corrected her right there in front of me. I felt bad for the sales girl, cuz I had never heard of it either.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_congratulations-to-the-groom-best-wishes-to-the-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1db81886-6672-4606-b30f-2abbbd7d37dfPost:78b3b501-56f5-4460-8a31-e46863c45f53">Re: Congratulations to the groom, Best Wishes to the bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Congratulations to the groom, Best Wishes to the bride? : Exactly what I was thinking. 
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

this exactly. only reason I know this. and it's funny. I was trying to figure out what was said to the bride for the past couple weeks.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It goes back to the time when women were out to "catch a husband".  To congratulate her on actually catching one was considered bad etiquette because it somehow implied that it's amazing she was able to do so.  At least that's what my mom told me, many years ago.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_congratulations-to-the-groom-best-wishes-to-the-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1db81886-6672-4606-b30f-2abbbd7d37dfPost:63279867-de1d-4ea3-a3fa-589f55ab3afd">Re: Congratulations to the groom, Best Wishes to the bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It goes back to the time when women were out to "catch a husband".  To congratulate her on actually catching one was considered bad etiquette because it somehow implied that it's amazing she was able to do so.  At least that's what my mom told me, many years ago.
    Posted by gailpete[/QUOTE]

This is how my grandma explained it to me when H and I got engaged
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_congratulations-to-the-groom-best-wishes-to-the-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1db81886-6672-4606-b30f-2abbbd7d37dfPost:bc88ab33-eac2-4dac-a80d-2831a5105f3f">Re: Congratulations to the groom, Best Wishes to the bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It is because the man is the one who is supposed to have gotten the real catch, not the other way around. That is why you congratulate the man vs the woman.
    Posted by graysquirrel[/QUOTE]

This is what I have heard... my mother corrected me and told me this when I was filling out a card for a wedding shower in high school. 

Someone once told me that, after the wedding, you can say congrats to both, but I don't know how valid that is.

I always says "Best Wishes," or something along that line, and all of the cards we have gotten so far have as well - but it might be more common in Texas/the south than the rest of the country.  People have said congrats in-person, and it doesn't offend me - as one PP said, I think that my future hubby is quite the catch, as well!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_congratulations-to-the-groom-best-wishes-to-the-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1db81886-6672-4606-b30f-2abbbd7d37dfPost:d10d5e81-8570-46d3-aa45-4b1408580ca6">Re: Congratulations to the groom, Best Wishes to the bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I only know about this because of Gilmore Girls.
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

<div>That's what I was going to say! I learned it from Emily Gilmore.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The only reason that I knew about it is because of my obsession with Victorian culture. It is in all of my 19th century etiquette books. The man is the one who is the lucky one to have gotten to marry such a fine, accomplished woman.

Photobucket
  • I've heard it before and assumed because the man has to ask for her hand in marriage. The father could say no. So when you say congratulations you are speaking towards his accomplishment of gaining approval.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • I've heard of this before (and not on GG). I usually just say, "I'm so happy for you!" 
  • Huh.  Interesting.

I really DO learn something new every day on TK!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_congratulations-to-the-groom-best-wishes-to-the-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1db81886-6672-4606-b30f-2abbbd7d37dfPost:d10d5e81-8570-46d3-aa45-4b1408580ca6">Re: Congratulations to the groom, Best Wishes to the bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I only know about this because of Gilmore Girls.
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

Ditto!  Oh Emily... so sassy hahah
    ~*June 2013 Sig Challenge: Our Cake*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My Mom has always been into making sure I knew what proper etiquetee was.  This was something I learned early.

I always forget who gets told what, so I just cover my bases and say "Congrats & Best Wishes!" 
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Interesting. Learned something new today!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards