Gay Weddings

New Yorker Getting Married in CT

My partner and I need to go to CT to get the marriage license. What is the process to do this? I mean step-by-step. Someone mentioned that we have to hire an officant? We are having everything in NY but we need the physical piece of paper from CT. What do we do?

-Thanks!!

Courtney and Kelly

Re: New Yorker Getting Married in CT

• alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wife and I are also NYers who got married in CT.

You do not need an officiant to get your license. You both need to go to the Town/City Clerk's office of the town/city where you're getting married, in our case it was New Canaan. It was like $30 or so and you just need your ID and social security #s. The license also asks your parents names and place of birth.

After the ceremony, your officiant will sign and mail the license back to the city clerks office where it remains on file. Our officiant also sent us a copy.

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • edited December 2011
    Alison: So someone at the Clerks office will do it for free? The "ceremony" I mean?
  • alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No. The city clerks office is just the marriage license. I was married a month later in my cousin's backyard. If you're looking for a town hall ceremony type thing, I suggest calling the City Hall/Town clerks office and asking them directly, but you do need to know what town you want to get married in to know where to call. They were really helpful when I called with questions. Its not like calling a NYC government office :)

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • edited December 2011
    Can we get the license in CT and then have it be signed at our marriage ceremony in NY?? Our officiant is legal in both NY and CT or does the ceremony technically have to take palce there?

Basically: Our problem is that we are having a wedding in NY in Sept and we know that we need to get the license in CT. We don't really want to spend anymore money than we have to doing the CT thing because its more of a formality. So we wanted to just do the quick and easy method in CT so we can just focus on when we commit ourselves infront of our family and friends in NY. And we are poor. Is there a quick / easy method to get it done in CT?

Thanks!
  • edited December 2011

I have the same exact question.  If anyone know the answer it would be really helpful.  My partner and I are having a ceremony at our wedding in October in NY but we are going to CT in July to do all the paper work to become legally married.  We don't need to have a ceremony there but that is what is seems like you need to do.  Any info would be appreciated, Thanks!  

• edited December 2011

Any luck ladies? I have the same question as well.

• teustice13teustice13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well have your guys considered just having your wedding in New York now that the bill has passed. I was going to Mass but changed my plans to get married here in NY.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards