Pennsylvania-Central

Ready to start planning... Where to start?

I have been engaged for over a year now and my Fiance and I have finally decided to get married next summer (WOOHOO!!!). The only problem is, I don't know where to even start. I keep looking at wedding venues and I can't decide what I want? An elegant ballroom seated dinner, or a laid back buffet style party? Some friends have suggested that I hire a wedding planner to help sort through all the ideas I have, but I'm unsure. My question is, has anyone used a wedding planner? Do you think it was worth the money to hire one? IIs there anyone that you suggest?

Re: Ready to start planning... Where to start?

• Hi and welcome!

I'd recommend starting out with your budget and guest list and the style of your wedding (like you said, elegant or BBQ.) Then look at venues. Maybe by looking at a few of them, you'll rule out one style or another. After that, I'd look into wedding dresses (the fun part).

As for a wedding coordinator, that's up to you. I honestly don't think it's necessary, and I've never known anyone to do so (but maybe I'm in the minority). If you don't like planning, maybe it's a good idea to at least look into it? It will take a lot off of your shoulders. (I would imagine) Or delegate some things to your WP or mom, anyone who is willing to help you.

Good luck!!!
  • I had a partial wedding planner, and it was a waste of money. Though I mostly feel that way because SHE was a waste of money, not the concept of a wedding planner. I recommend getting a  Day of Coordinator-that way there is someone there for you on your wedding day to take care of all the details-making sure the favors are put at place settings, putting out any last minute fires, making sure your vendors show up on time and know where to go, etc. Most DOC cost $500-$1000, which I think is well worth it. I think that your family and friends should get to enjoy your wedding day and not be "working", so that's why I paid someone to do all those things. 

Depending on the type of wedding you want, a wedding planner might be worth it. IE, are you going to have a venue where you need to rent tables, chairs, linens, china, etc? Or are you going with a place that has all that? Do you want to handle lots of small details, or are you hoping that someone else will make sure you have a strong "vision." 

I met with Melissa at Stylist Occasions and I ended up chosing someone else. I really wish I had chosen Melissa. She was very professional and I think she would have done a much better job than the person I chose. It's definitely worth it to meet with her in person and just find out what sorts of things she could do with for you. Any planner should be willing to meet with you for free and give you some ideas and prices. That way you can make an informed decision. GL!
  • I don't personally think a planner is a necessity but just an extra expense.  Cruise Pintrest/the knot/ wedding wire and start to gather details of things you really like. I highly recommend starting a binder or something to jot your ideas in and keep paperwork from potential vendors.  In my opinion, if you hire professionals you shouldn't necessarily need a DOC. Your photographer should take you from getting ready to reception ON TIME (ask.. because so many like to get the shot and not regard the caterers holding meals or guests waiting for the couple) and your DJ should finish out your evening.  Most locations also offer a maitrd (sp?) who helps to coordinate your event which is included in your venue/catering cost.
  • I have helped plan a ton of weddings being in the business for a while- i also suggest getting a  DOC- it helps to have someone take care of the things while you enjoy your day, melissa from previous post was my 2nd choice

blog post photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi there!  I started my search by looking at vineyards but once I realized how much was involved (caterer, cake, setup, tear down, etc) I started investigating hotels with packages.  I looked at a whole bunch of places (Park Inn Harrisburg West, Holiday Inn Harrisburg East, Felicita, Sheraton, Raddison) and my decision was easy - Park Inn Harrisburg West.  I would suggest contacting Joe Spadolini or Courtney Drahovsky at the Park Inn.  They'll go through the packages with you - we went with the nicest package (4 hours open bar with premium liquor, cocktail hour, wine during dinner, entree options that include lobster, champaigne for the toast, a 3-tier wedding cake, complimentary room for the night, a maitre d') and are paying less per person than the smallest package at any of the other places.  Not only that but Joe comes with the package... he's kind of your personal wedding planner and he's a great guy.  One of the best things is you don't worry about a thing once you choose your vendors - you just give them your contacts and they take it from there, making sure all vendors know where to go and get there on time.   They also have an outdoor pavilion area to have the ceremony on-site. 

I hope this helps.  Good luck with your planning!
  • I highly recommend my wedding planner, Leah, from Weddings and Blooms in Mechanicsburg!  (www.weddingsandblooms.com)  We have been working with her since last Fall and she is AMAZING!  She helped me figure out exactly what I wanted and stayed within my budget.  She also planned my sister's wedding 2 years ago, and her wedding ended up in The Knot wedding magazine - it was gorgeous!  PM me if you have any questions!
  • Melissa that's mentioned above....does anyone have a website or contact info for her? I'm interested in using her for DOC.

@daria24 would you mind giving some more info on who was a waste of time and money? Just so I know who to maybe stay away from?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards