October 2012 Weddings
Options

Wedding gift rant

Sorry this is so long, didn't mean it to be.

When we went through our wedding cards and gifts, we didn't receive gifts from two of H's relatives.  They were the only people who didn't bring a gift.  I know you have a year, so it wasn't a big deal to me.  H told his mother and she was livid.  She emailed her sister (her son was one of the no gifts) and told her father because her father's sister's son also didn't bring a gift.  Her father called his sister and said something also.  I asked them not to and explained that you have to send a gift.  MIL's response was, "I would never go to a wedding without a gift, would you?"  I told her it doesn't matter what we would do.

Her sister forward MIL's email to her son and he responded to MIL, who forwarded his response to me.  She made it out like we thought we lost his card.  When I read it I wanted to crawl in a hole and hide forever.  I would NEVER ask someone where a gift was.  A friend didn't give me a gift for my Sweet 16 (we were close, still are) and I thought I lost it.  I asked her like 5 years later and she was like, "Oh I didn't give you one, sorry!"  I was embarassed then and it was well after the fact.

Well we got a gift today from the cousin who didn't send a gift.  He sent a measuring cup.  He probably paid more in shipping than he did for the measuring cup. 

I am now so mad at MIL that I want to call her and scream at her because I asked her in the first place not to say a thing.  I won't, but I really want to.

I was fine when we didn't receive a gift at all.  MIL was the angry one and she didn't even pay for the wedding.  My parents, who paid for it all, asked nothing about what anyone gave.

I know no one is required to give a gift, I not mad at the cost of the gift.  I'm mad that MIL said something and we got something ridiculous as payback.

Re: Wedding gift rant

• Options
    achiduckachiduck member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2012
    Lesson learned, don't tell your ILs about gifts.

I would be PISSED if my MIL did that. One of H's best friends keeps telling us the gift is on the way. We don't bring it up, he does. I'll believe it when I see it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    When H was texting her after we opened gifts I asked him to stop and he said she wanted to know.  In the future I will be sure to stop him from telling her.

H doesn't seem to be as embarassed as I am, which I think I making me angrier about it.
  • Options
    Oh I would so not be very happy with her. I can understand why you feel the way you do. We haven't had a problem like that, but ALOT of people didn't give gifts. I was actually surprised how many people we know were there but didn't give gifts or just gave a card with $10.

On the other hand, my sister has been saying she was looking at a gift, it was out of stock and then decided she would just give us the money for what it was for. Still hasn't happened though!

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards