Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Should a caterer charge a fee for a tasting session?

I am on a tight budget for catering. One catering wants to charge $45 for a tasting session. Her e-mail said that the price would be reduced by that amount if we choose them. I'm not too sure about this. Is it normal for a potential caterer to ask for money up-front to sample their food?
My FI thinks that it's too much and I kinda agree with him.
Any other insight out there?

Thanks.

Re: Should a caterer charge a fee for a tasting session?

• juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I would pay it if it was coming off my purchase.  I don't like bad food and I wouldn't want it at my wedding.  Plus, if they don't charge it, then they have every other Tom, Richard and Harry trying to get a free meal out of them under the umbrella of "We want to use you for our event". 
  • bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, from what I've seen, it's normal to charge for a tasting session.  They are supplying the food, after all.  I think that if they're willing to discount it off if you chose them is a great bonus.
  • edited December 2011
    I booked my caterer before the tasting so my tasting was free but other caters had quoted me anywhere from 25-50 for a tasting.  I think that is reasonable especially if they take it off the cost if you book.
  • lesalyriclesalyric member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP that most caterers do charge and it is normal.

If you are on a tight budget and your are not restricted by your venue, you might explore catering by a restaurant. It tends to be less expensive per person and they generally do not charge for tastings.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Use a date night on the cost of your tasting instead of on dinner and a movie. 
  • pattcpattc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it is a cost of doing business and they shold not charge.  We had tastings with 3 well known caterers who did not charge.  Another said they don't do tastings.  Didin't go with that last one....
  • edited December 2011
    I had tastings with 5 caterers and none of them charged me anything.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards