New York-Hudson Valley

Catholic Church near Tarrytown

Hi everyone,

I am getting married in April 2013 and looking for a Catholic Church near Tarrytown, NY. Both my fiance and I are Catholic, but he did not make his confirmation. I called Immaculate Conception in Sleepy Hollow, but they seem to be quite strict around the confirmation aspect and the fact that we don't belong to a parish. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Thank you!

Re: Catholic Church near Tarrytown

• Have you tried Transfiguration Church in Tarrytown?
  • St. Teresa's in Sleepy Hollow
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_catholic-church-near-tarrytown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:79e5c947-b303-42a0-b414-3a185b80ad5ePost:36065828-efa8-4d1d-82a5-3d14708ae793">Re: Catholic Church near Tarrytown</a>:
    [QUOTE]St. Teresa's in Sleepy Hollow
    Posted by BURGH2NYC[/QUOTE]

Thanks! That's where I plan to try next. Any idea how strict they are about both of us having our confirmation and/or being a member of the parish?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_catholic-church-near-tarrytown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:79e5c947-b303-42a0-b414-3a185b80ad5ePost:ce8517e5-77ea-46a1-8b88-5d433baecb6e">Re: Catholic Church near Tarrytown</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you tried Transfiguration Church in Tarrytown?
    Posted by Peruvian Girl[/QUOTE]

I came across Transfiguration when searching today. Any idea how strict they are about both of us having our confirmation and/or being a member of the parish?
  • It's a slightly longer drive from Ossining, but we were married at St Augustine Church in Ossining and it is truly gorgeous. It sits on a hill overlooking the river, and it's got a more modern feel inside.
    They were pretty flexible and very willing to work with us.
    imageimageimage
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_catholic-church-near-tarrytown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:79e5c947-b303-42a0-b414-3a185b80ad5ePost:c3aeba72-3bdd-48fb-bdd3-b829ce214eda">Re: Catholic Church near Tarrytown</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Catholic Church near Tarrytown : Thanks! That's where I plan to try next. Any idea how strict they are about both of us having our confirmation and/or being a member of the parish?
    Posted by mbnyc7a[/QUOTE]

I don't go to that church but have attended 2 weddings there.  I don't have the impression that they are really strict.
  • The Catholic church will marry you as long as one person is confirmed.  You just can't have a full mass.  My fiance is Jewish and we are getting married in church, but not having a mass.  I am in a wedding this weekend with the same situation.  Try Sacred Heart church in Dobbs Ferry.  A friend of mine got married there a few years ago without being a parishoner.  Be prepared to pay extra money though.
  • Congratulations on your engagement!  If you have any specific, Catholic-related questions, come over to the Catholic Weddings board (under the Cultural Weddings tab.) The ladies there are awesome.
  • We just got married at Transfiguration, the church was beautiful and both of us are from out of town so it wasnt a big deal to not be from the parish.  The church, though, is strict the requirements and wants all of the documentation from your parishs where you got baptised, first holy communion and confirmation.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_catholic-church-near-tarrytown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:79e5c947-b303-42a0-b414-3a185b80ad5ePost:54c6d32d-5821-4ebc-b5d8-e18cc2bf4b92">Re: Catholic Church near Tarrytown</a>:
    [QUOTE]We just got married at Transfiguration, the church was beautiful and both of us are from out of town so it wasnt a big deal to not be from the parish.  The church, though, is strict the requirements and wants all of the documentation from your parishs where you got baptised, first holy communion and confirmation.
    Posted by anniemac1581[/QUOTE]

<span style="line-height:115%;font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';color:#1f1f1f;font-size:8.5pt;">My Husband and i just got married at Transfiguration as well...They do require all the documentation of your prior sacraments within 6 months of the wedding date.</span>
    BabyFruit Ticker Bravado Bras at Nurtured Family
  • mbnyc7ambnyc7a member
    First Comment
    Thanks everyone! I think we are going to end up going with Immaculate Conception after all!
  • I attend Immaculate Conception as a member. Good luck...  The Mnsgr is.... ummm, well.... don't expect too much from him. He's personally very nice, but I am VERY GLAD he is not the one marrying me.
  • mbnyc7ambnyc7a member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_catholic-church-near-tarrytown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:79e5c947-b303-42a0-b414-3a185b80ad5ePost:36768ee2-c0b8-4353-90b5-23c68e483492">Re: Catholic Church near Tarrytown</a>:

I just sent you a private message!

[QUOTE]I attend Immaculate Conception as a member. Good luck...  The Mnsgr is.... ummm, well.... don't expect too much from him. He's personally very nice, but I am VERY GLAD he is not the one marrying me.
    Posted by kaitlyn142[/QUOTE]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_catholic-church-near-tarrytown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:79e5c947-b303-42a0-b414-3a185b80ad5ePost:a64c8433-6fb0-4b54-a5de-b72a90118b33">Re: Catholic Church near Tarrytown</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Catholic Church near Tarrytown : I just sent you a private message!
    Posted by mbnyc7a[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm in the same dilemma. Any other ideas for the general Westchester area? We were hoping to have the church within a 15 minute drive or so to the hotels in Elmsford, but we're flexible. Like the original poster, we've both received all of our sacraments and we don't live together, but we do both live in NYC and so we'd be non-parishoners looking to get married next summer. Any other ideas would be much appreciated!</div><div>
    </div><div>Thank you!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards