7/12 * Knottie of the Week - jgavigan3376

1.  Your Name & your Other Half's Name!

2.  Your Wedding Date

3.   Your Wedding Colors

4.  Your Age - His Age

5.  Honeymooning where?

6.  Does your wedding have a theme?

7.  How did he propose?

8.  What do you think has been your biggest courting challenge as a Christian couple and how have you all overcome it?

9.  Any advice for other couples?

10.  What's your fave wedding movie?

11.  Fave wedding TV show?

12.  How long between the proposal and the wedding?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 7/12 * Knottie of the Week - jgavigan3376

• jgavigan3376jgavigan3376 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  Your Name & your Other Half's Name!
    Jess (Jessica) and Isaac

2.  Your Wedding Date
    Friday, August 20, 2010

3.   Your Wedding Colors
    Wisteria (purple), silver, and ivory

4.  Your Age - His Age
    I'm 34, he's 27

5.  Honeymooning where?
    We're getting away for a mini-honeymoon to Ocean City, MD- where we took one of our first trips together.

6.  Does your wedding have a theme? no theme

7.  How did he propose?
    I suspected he was getting ready to propose, so according to him, I kept spoiling the surprise. He found out that I figured out that he was going to propose on my birthday, so he decided to wait until after that. Luckily my MOH told him that would be a bad idea (I would have been crushed), so he decided to do it the day before my b-day. I was totally surprised- he dropped down to his knees in the hallway of my house and asked me. It was very sweet :)

8.  What do you think has been your biggest courting challenge as a Christian couple and how have you all overcome it?
    Our biggest challenge has been waiting until we are married to be intimate. Many of our friends think we're crazy, but we feel it's a very important start to our marriage.

9.  Any advice for other couples?
    Pray! Pray together, pray alone, pray often. We recently went through a rough time with my daughter, and our pastor told us this piece of advice,
    "Pray about it and leave the rest to God."

10.  What's your fave wedding movie? 
    27 Dresses

11.  Fave wedding TV show? 
    Say Yes to the Dress

12.  How long between the proposal and the wedding?
    5 months!! Crazy short, but we wanted to have the wedding before school starts back for my kids and I (I'm a teacher).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kkidd28kkidd28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loved reading about you all!  You must be superwoman to put it together so fast - lol!
    How did you meet?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lol- it hasn't really been that difficult to plan on a short timeline. The most difficult thing was getting my dress. The local bridal salons looked at me like I was crazy when I told them I needed a dress in less than 5 months. I honestly didn't know it was such a big deal! I ended up getting my dress at David's and it arrived less than a month after I ordered it.

How we met- FI's brother is my neighbor (right across the street). FI was on a deployment to Egypt with the National Guard, and when he returned after his year there he moved in with his brother and sister-in-law across the street! He has since moved into his own apartment though. 

Thanks for asking! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kkidd28kkidd28 member
    edited December 2011
    Is he still in the service?

I loved your honesty about waiting to be intimate after marriage.  Me being honest - my fiance and I made that decision when we got engaged.  And my friends think we're crazy too!  But I figure if we can get through this, it will bring more blessings in our marriage!

Plus - it was nice to see someone else in the Philly area!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Koretta- Waiting has been very difficult for both of us, especially without a lot of support from friends. Our family, and of course our pastor, are very pleased by our decision, and so is God, so I guess that's all that matters! It has been a struggle, but the way we looked at it was that we have everything else in life- and this was a true test of our faith. I like your way of thinking- that it will bring blessings to our marriage. And that first night will be awesome!!! LOL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And yes, he is still in the National Guard. He serves one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer. He is probably going to get out next year, but we're still throwing around the idea of him re-upping and going on another year long deployment. :(

Yes, it's nice to see another philly knottie- although I am in Montgomery County, about 45 min north of the city. Are you getting married in the city? Our ceremony is near Bristol and reception closer to Quakertown.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kkidd28kkidd28 member
    edited December 2011
    Getting married at our church on City Line Ave - reception at the Hilton on City Line Ave.  My FI works close to KOP but we will actually live in DE where I bought my house after the wedding!  Philly knottie means anywhere in or around - lol!

• iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011

Do you feel like you have faced any challenges as a result of your age difference?  I am 5 years older than DH and when people learn that, they seem surprised.  However, at our age, I don't think it matters at all and I only think about it when I say something like "Oh, this song was popular when I was in college" and DH responds with something smart (jokingly) about how young he was when it was a popular song.

If you look at our wedding pictures, I think we look about the same age.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have definitely faced some challenges because of our age difference. They mainly have to do with the fact that I have 3 children from my first marriage (a very unhappy, abusive one), so at 27 he is jumping into the role of wife AND dad (step). That's a lot of responsibility for someone young and single. But he has taken on these roles amazingly (praise God) and while we still have a lot to work on as we blend our families, he has proven himself dedicated to me and my children. I am extremely blessed.

The age issue also comes into play where our careers are concerned. I am a teacher, tenured and completely finished graduate school! He is currently going to school for nursing. I feel very fortunate that because I am established in my career, I can support him in that area.

We would like to have children of our own since he does not have any. I am a little concerned about my age playing a role in that. I would be 35 at the very least when we have a baby, but we'll probably wait even longer, in order for him to finish school. I just hope we don't wait too long. But we will be happy with whatever God plans for us.

And lastly, iamjoesgurl, we joke ALL the time about a song or TV show being "before his time."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards