Getting in Shape

Joining a gym?

Hello, I just got engaged on Christmas and have been trying to get in shape for the big day (in September)  I started to work out at home to fitness dvd's but I only do it 1-2 days a week so I'm not sure if it's helping.

As an adult I've never joined a gym, but I'm thinking that might be a good idea to get me to work out more often and more intense workouts.  I've even seen that they have fitness Zumba classes which look like a fun way to work out.

Do you think joining a gym would be a good step towards committing to getting in shape? 
Does anybody have anything that helps them with their motivation?

Thanks, any advice is definitely appreciated!

Re: Joining a gym?

• cnf2013cnf2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2013
    Going to the gym is my motivation. I definitely slack when I work out at home. The atmosphere of a gym revs me up, personally. Joining is a great idea. Make sure you a check a few out first and get a feel for each one. Finding a gym you like is important, otherwise you'll end up not going. Make sure the cost is something you're willing to pay and find out exactly what it covers. For example, $10 per month gets you a Planet Fitness membership, but it's just a gym and tanning. No classes, which are also a great idea (and I assume you want since you mentioned Zumba) as they come with some degree of accountability too.

For my own motivation, I run races. And I sign up for them as far in advance as humanly possible. I signed up for my first summer race for 2013 back in December. It forces me to go workout because I always have the reminder of a looming race quickly approaching. 

Also, feel free to join in the daily accountability thread here to help keep yourself motivated. It is a big help!
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm with cnf on her thoughts on the classes and accountability, too.  

Do you have any friends with gym memberships that allow guests?  If so, see if you could be a guest for the day, and check it out.  Or just go for walk-throughs/trials at different gyms.  I love the gym, but I know others who hate it and pay for memberships they never use, or only go when they can get a friend to go.
    So my advice would be to test the water with classes, free weights, personal training, etc and see what gets you excited to step up your workouts.
    Anniversary
  • Yup. 
    Agreed with cnf. 
    Joining a gym pushed me into my health and fitness kick. Haven't looked back since! 
    I LOOOOVE Group X classes. THat's what made me fall in love with exercise. It's now PAINFUL for me to take a rest day! 

Most gyms offer a week free pass. Go ask about it. It helps you get a feel for the gym and helps you decide if it's "right" for you. If you can see yourself working out there. :) 
  • Wow thanks for your guys' posts, you have confirmed my decision to give the gym a go.   The one I have been eyeballing does have a 7 day trial period.  I always have an excuse, there's no time, I get off late from work, etc.  But if there's ever a time to get in shape, its now!
    PS Thanks for the accountability suggestion!
  • Congrats!  Best Wishes. 

I have a membership with two gyms Fitness Together and The Rush but, the "The Rush" is only in a few states but, Fitness Together is in a quite a few states and they offer one on one private training session to help you to achieve your goal like in four to six weeks. I hope this helps.
  • Hi!  I just wanted to thank everybody again for their responses,  my apartment has a gym and this is my second day going.  I know its too soon to feel any real sort of difference but i swear i already feel like i have more energy!
    Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards