Students
Options

Who takes on too much/ How to organize?

Does anyone else go to school full time, work full time, live on their own (with FI), workout, clean house, and is still trying to plan a wedding? (That or something similar to that work load?) What are you’re best tips to keep everything organized enough to get through it all? I need a better work ethic to successfully accomplish everything.TIA

Re: Who takes on too much/ How to organize?

• Options
    If you can afford it, get a wedding planner. If it weren't for mine, I think I would have died of exhaustion.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    That's basically my life. Full time school, part time work, work out, and take care of all of the living responsibilities by myself. I have a daily schedule that I try to stick to. Most of the activities that I don't enjoy doing (cleaning and homework) are scheduled before things that I do enjoy doing (reading, watching TV, wedding planning). It helps keep me motivated to get through it so I can do what I like while giving me a short break to relax in between things.
  • Options
    HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited May 2010
    I am going to school full time and its going to get worse in the coming fall quarter, because I will have evening classes Mon- Thurs and Saturday labs from 9-5.  It is going to be a nightmare.  I am also working full time.  I usually try to clean and organize on Sunday because that is the only day I have.  Gym kind of takes a back seat, I am never regular, because there is always something more important that needs to get done.  Not only that, I take care of my FI finances when he is not in the states and working and he goes for months at a time.  Since we don't live together, I have to check his mail etc, etc.  I also take care of my parent's finances as well.  I want to start volunteering again, soon but its seems too unrealistic at this point.  Oh lets not forget planning the wedding. 

THe best way I keep up is my planner, it is with me at all times, even though I have a really good long term memory and I can rmember most thing, but if you don't want those pesky small details running away, it is a great source.  I try to plan everything out on Sunday for the week ahead, and even more.  But as long as you stay organized and on top of things it is doable.  But you have to be very diligent in your schedule.  Only you know what will be too much to take on, since we are all different in how we handle stress.  I think you can only figure it out with trial and error, and then you re-adjust.
  • Options
    My life exacty.
    This past semester I was in school full time, interning 15 hours a week, working 25 hours a week- and yes, I live with FI and we are 100% responsible for ourselves.
    Oh. And I got a GPA of a 3.917 :)
    My handy dandy planner saved me, and getting as much sleep as possible :) Other than that, time went by so fast everything was just a blur.
    Now, I have a ton of downtime! My hours at work were cut due to budgetary reasons  (which is LAME because we need the money!) and I am taking two summer classes...that's it.
    Then I'll have my BFA! I can't wait!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Definitely keep a planner! I am very much in the same boat as everyone else.  School full time, work full time, family and friends who don't quite get it, trying to take care of the apartment, run errands and keep finances... it's a mess!  The best advice I can give is to not only keep a planner, but have a weekly to-do list that's broken into days.  Then list everything you want to accomplish on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc, specifically.  If you can make phone calls or surf the web at work, do it.  As for the gym, I go for walks on the weekends.  I walk whenever I can and always use the stairs.  It's a compromise, but it's the best I can do.  I hope this helps!  Hang in there!
  • Options
    Definetely keep a planner and write everything down! Even if it's mundane stuff like "put laundry away" I got married 3 weeks ago and while planning my wedding, I went to school full time, worked 40-50 hours a week, lived with my FI, and I have a 7 year old son. Also realize you can't do everything! At times you will need to sacrifice your wants for your needs.
  • Options
    It helps to know I'm not alone. It seems like a lot of the girls I know who are my age and are getting married are lucky enough to only worry about school. The way I look at it though, is if it doesn't kill me it will make me stronger. Thanks for the support/tips ladies.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sounds like my life for sure!!  I go to school full time working on my Masters in Counseling, work at least 35 hours per week, take care of most of the house responsibilities and a new puppy at home, and try to fit time in to work out or take time for myself.  All while trying to plan a wedding.  This next semester is going to be worse because I have to be at school an extra 8 hours per week to start seeing clients.  I am so nervous that I am going to have a mental breakdown right before my wedding.  I hope I can handle it!  I try to stay organized for school by keeping a binder, which some other knotties had suggested.  I don't know how I do it, but I manage to remember most things that I need to.  But yet for some reason I always am losing my cell phone or keys.  Weird!  Anyways, I hope this helps and thanks for the mini vent session.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker My Planning Bio 248 Invited! 176 Are Ready to Party! 13 Didn't care to respond! 59 Will be missing out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards