Tennessee

alcohol at the reception with a Southern Baptist pastor/officiant

Hey guys! So I am going to talk to the pastor who is Southern Baptist and will be marrying me and my FI. He was my pastor as I was growing up and he also married my mom and dad. Of course he will be invited to the reception. We have decided to serve alcohol at the reception for various reasons. I need to know if asked about the serving of alcohol when meeting, how I should let our pastor know?

Re: alcohol at the reception with a Southern Baptist pastor/officiant

• edited December 2011
    I think it would be odd if you were asked about the serving of alcohol as long as the reception is not at the church (which I am assuming it is not). If he asked just simply say "yes, there will be alcohol available for those who wish to partake." If he prods more at any reasons why, just simply be honest and state your reasons. I think any level-headed pastor will understand and if there is a toast he knows it is perfectly OK for him to toast with water or soda. Chances are this won't be the first reception he has been to which alcohol has been served and if he had that big of a problem with it he probably would have brought it up in any preliminary conversations. Hope this helps!
  • kcrocket13kcrocket13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much! Just need confidence to let a headstrong conservative preacher know if he asks.
  • edited December 2011
    Good Luck!!!  I come from a Southern Baptist family as well and several preachers refuse to marry you if you plan on serving alcohol at the wedding.....inside a church or not!
    My fiance and I have decided to go with a non-denominational officiant, for this very reason. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards