Military Brides

one heck of a weekend...and not in a good way!

Hey yal! Wow I can't believe I'm getting married, and to a guy going into the Marines! We have a problem though! He will graduate Fourth of July weekend this year (2011). He wants to just get married that weekend at the beach. But Parris Island is on a river. Does anyone know of a beach thats really close to Parris Island that does beach weddings? Also, with his graduation going on that weekend should we wait until October (which was originally when we were planning) so there isn't too much going on that weekend? I mean his graduation, Fourth of July, and a wedding! The traffic and hotel costs will be up the roof! We have planned an October 2011 wedding, with more than 200 people here for it. But we both really want a beach wedding! Any suggestions please! They would be really apprecitated! Thanks! and Best wishes to everyone!
*fell inlove on the first date* Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: one heck of a weekend...and not in a good way!

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You can get married in Savannah (Tybee) or Hilton Head. Those are pretty close. 

However, I would not get married now. I would at the very least wait until he's through with MCT/SOI and MOS school, ideally until he's been through a deployment, and especially not the same weekend he's graduating. Too much stress. 

ETA: What if he gets hurt or something and gets delayed in boot camp? It happens all the time. What if his ship date changes? That also happens all the time. I would just wait.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • edited December 2011
    I agree 100% with Stan. You need to wait. You both need to adjust to military life. Absolutely not his graduation weekend. Listen to Stan!!

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_one-heck-of-weekendand-not-good-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ab5f8892-bb0b-4d2a-bb7d-91fe723ec8b5Post:1bae334e-b0e2-44f8-9283-3aaedff9688d">Re: one heck of a weekend...and not in a good way!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can get married in Savannah (Tybee) or Hilton Head. Those are pretty close.  <strong>However, I would not get married now. I would at the very least wait until he's through with MCT/SOI and MOS school, ideally until he's been through a deployment, and especially not the same weekend he's graduating. Too much stress.  ETA: What if he gets hurt or something and gets delayed in boot camp? It happens all the time. What if his ship date changes? That also happens all the time. I would just wait.
    </strong>Posted by WishIcouldbeinthe'stan[/QUOTE]

this.this.this.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree. I would wait if I were you. I know that you are probably excited to get married and can't wait, but sometimes we just have to take a step back and look at the situation and decide what is logical. I also recommend a deployment first. Just to make sure that this is the life you want for yourself. My FI is in the Marines and this is his first deployment. I can say that it is really hard, and probably not for everyone. I hope things work out for you. Good Luck. :)
    No Amount Of Distance Can Seperate The HeartPhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • JynxeyJynxey member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely suggest waiting until October, that way everyone can be a part of it, and it's only an extra couple months, nothing too long. Also, you will have time to get everything set up the way you want it.

I know a few people who got married in between basic and MOS training, and most of them didn't even get a wedding night with their husbands. How is works in my experience is they graduate, have a few hours off, then have to go back to the barracks for the night, and leave for the airport the next morning. Personally, I would want it to be a little more special than that.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Congrats on getting married.
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_one-heck-of-weekendand-not-good-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ab5f8892-bb0b-4d2a-bb7d-91fe723ec8b5Post:9bbe319f-e479-40c1-9412-feb1e20fdb44">Re: one heck of a weekend...and not in a good way!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I definitely suggest waiting until October, that way everyone can be a part of it, and it's only an extra couple months, nothing too long. Also, you will have time to get everything set up the way you want it. I know a few people who got married in between basic and MOS training, and most of them didn't even get a wedding night with their husbands. How is works in my experience is they graduate, have a few hours off, then have to go back to the barracks for the night, and leave for the airport the next morning. Personally, I would want it to be a little more special than that. Good luck with whatever you decide. Congrats on getting married.
    Posted by Jynxey[/QUOTE]

All this... she stole the words out of my mouth (and said them better, too)!

The best suggestion is to wait until after a deployment, but clearly you're not going to do that.  I know you both miss each other and can't wait to be married, but if you're planning for October already, just stick with that.  Like others said, graduation is an estimate, not a guarantee.  This will give you both time to adjust and settle in.

Anniversary

• iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Wait, wait, wait.  There could be so many things go wrong to prevent your wedding from happening. 
    Being from that area, I am telling you right now that that is not a weekend you want to plan a wedding on the beach.  The beaches are crowded from very early until very late.  You can not block off any part of the beach for your wedding, even if you plan the fee.  You could have a fat man in a thong in your wedding pics.  Not attractive.  It is also very, very hot here in July.  Also, hotel and condo prices are off the charts, parking is ugly and so is the traffic. 
    If you wait later, you can easily plan a beach wedding on Tybee from Atlanta.  October would be a much later month.  I do want to say, though, I wouldn't plan anything until he is finished with training and knows where his first duty station will be. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    thanks guys! the info helped alot! we are going to wait until October!
    *fell inlove on the first date* Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards