African American Weddings

Grooms Cake?

Did anyone get there groom's cake not the bridal cake from a local grocery store? I'm thinking about doing this instead of going with my wedding cake baker because our wedding is small about 75 people and the smallest groom's cake they offer feeds 175 and is $300 dollars. Which is more than the bridal cupcakes that we will have. I have the stuff for his cake (it will be Kansas City CHIEFS) but I'm think I'm just going to go to Tom Thumb or Alberston's and pick up a round cake and just serve it at rehearsal dinner. He doesn't know about his cake or my plans to surprise him with it. Any thoughts ladies? I really appreciate it. Thanks

Re: Grooms Cake?

• tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think getting a groom's cake at a grocery store is a great idea.  $300 is a lot to spend on a groom's cake.  My FI's mom is baking his cake.  It's a "honeybun cake" and he loves it!  The cake has cinnamon and pecans in the center and some kind of icing made out of confectioner's sugar.  It's really good.  She baked us some for Thanksgiving and it's already gone.  LOL.  Is it customary to serve the groom's cake during the rehearsal dinner?  Because that's what I would like to do.  I don't want our wedding cake competing with the honeybun cake. :)
  • edited December 2011

I'm in Texas and we normally serve ours at the reception along with the wedding cake but I have noticed alot of brides surprising their fiance at the rehearsal dinner with theirs and I think that is what I'm going to do. Thanks for your response. And that cake sounds heavenly. I love pecans.

• Vanessa AVanessa A member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm also in Texas and surprising my honey with his cake @ the reception though. I ordered his cake along with the bridal cake and the baker was great with the options. Since I got one flavor the price was very very reasonable, plus they will make it look exactly like his favorite San Antonio spurs throw-back jersey. I skipped out on fondant and also ordered it as a sheet cake (they could do it in 3D but the price would have been ridiculous). We don't have an Albertson's anymore but I remember how GOOD that cake was, so if they can get the job done the way you want it, go for it!!
  • edited December 2011
    I was thinklng about getting one done for FI...a steak w/a butcher's knife...(he's a butcher) but decided against it. I would probably end up eating it myself.....the cupcake for the wedding will be enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards