Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Gluten-Free Menu/Cake

Hello!  Just wondering if anyone has gone for a gluten-free menu before, and any suggestions for tasty dishes!  My fiance, mother-in-law-to-be, and one of my fiance's cousins are all gluten-free, so we want to be sure that we have options for everyone.  With regard to cakes--has anyone had/tasted gluten-free cakes before?  I'm a tad worried that they may be a different texture or not taste as great!  Thanks so much for your input!

Re: Gluten-Free Menu/Cake

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Are you having a buffet or an a la carte dinner? If the latter, gluten-free appetizers and entrees are fairly straight-forward and most menus do them no problem: no croutons in the salad, meat, rice and vegetables for the entree. As for gluten-free cakes, yes, they do have a different texture and taste. It's not to everybody's liking but I bake gluten-free goods all the time, though I've never had a professionally-made one before. I realize that one of your three guests who is gluten-free is your fiance, but are he and his mother and cousin seriously expecting you go get a gluten-free cake for everybody to accommodate them? Gluten-free cakes are usually more expensive too, and some bakers won't even make them for you unless you've had their gluten-free cake before (because they don't want people complaining afterwards that it was "bad.") Also, why do they eat gluten-free? Are they Celiac, allergic to wheat or just following a Paleo diet?  Is it possible to have a smaller gluten-free cake which you will cut and serve to said guests and then a regular cake for everybody else?
  • Options
    I know that in my area there are bakeries that specialize in gluten free.  While I have never tried a gluten free cake, I agree with the pp that I would not expect it to taste like regular cake.  Why not contact a gluten free bakery and have them do either one small tiere of the wedding cake OR if you aren't have a tiered cake, have them do a small cake instead.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    I'm having a traditional 4 tier wedding cake, a gluten-free cake, and a mix of traditional and gluten free cupcakes during the cocktail hour.  I haven't yet been to the cake tasting, but the cake baker I'm using says that almost all flavors can be made gluten free too.  I'm eager to hear the other responses to this question too though, because I want to hear what others have done.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've had gluten free baked goods before and they do taste different, but not nessecarily bad. I disagree with the PP who said you should also buy a seperate GF cake, depending on the reason your guests are GF. If it's a serious allergy, just make the whole cake GF.

A GF cake won't ruin it for your guests.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_gluten-free-menucake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:c9c3c4e7-fcba-413e-8722-4694b04d915ePost:2940ae94-13f7-4121-80cc-b99e426b109a">Re: Gluten-Free Menu/Cake</a>:
    [QUOTE] A GF cake won't ruin it for your guests.
    Posted by thurmanpowell[/QUOTE]

<div>Actually people can be incredibly finicky and downright b!tchy sometimes over anything food-related that is even mildly "different." I can't tell you the number of times I've made something GF that involved good-quality ingredients and tasted fine to me, but had people make faces as soon as they hear it's GF. Granted, I'm sure OP won't be making an announcement to all her guests that the cake is GF, but I wouldn't risk it.</div>
  • Options
    Thanks so much for all the feedback!  All three have a serious allergy to gluten--my fiance's throat immediately starts to get itchy, he gets hives all over his body, and the reaction will last for anywhere from a day or two to a full week or more!  All great information--we may consider just doing a small cake and/or a tier just for the GF guests.  Thanks all! Smile
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_gluten-free-menucake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:c9c3c4e7-fcba-413e-8722-4694b04d915ePost:fd0b434f-83c9-403c-ae8b-fc3389357fea">Re: Gluten-Free Menu/Cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gluten-Free Menu/Cake : Actually people can be incredibly finicky and downright b!tchy sometimes over anything food-related that is even mildly "different." I can't tell you the number of times I've made something GF that involved good-quality ingredients and tasted fine to me, but had people make faces as soon as they hear it's GF. Granted, I'm sure OP won't be making an announcement to all her guests that the cake is GF, but I wouldn't risk it.
    Posted by unchatenfrance[/QUOTE]

I didn't say her guests would neccesarily like the GF cake, but that having one won't ruin the wedding for them. If someone had a serious GF allergy and it's triggered by the baker unintentionally contaiminating the GF cake because they made a non GF one at the same time, then their night would be ruined.
  • Options
    GF cakes can taste different and are more costly but a lot of the time, people can't tell they are GF - at least from a good bakery. Whatever you decide, please please be aware of cross contamination. I don't know how severe the reactions of your FI and others are but I know that I would not be able to eat a piece of GF cake that was one tier of a regular wedding cake without getting sick - think about what happens when you slice the layers above it and the crumbs fall...may sound alarmist but it really can affect people. Also, be careful about ordering GF cakes and/or food from a caterer that also bakes regular cakes...again for cross contamination purposes. Some caterers/bakeries have a good grasp of what gluten free means so you could be fine but unfortunately, others think that simply using GF flour is enough. Just be sure to talk to whatever vendor you choose to make sure they do have a good understanding. Of course, if your FI and FIL's have a gluten allergy, they are probably your best resource to help out with determining their own comfort level with the v endor too. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    I agree with what Sweetsunshine posted. I own a bakery and we offer gluten free cupcakes and cakes in addition to our regular line up. Our gluten free cupcakes have a bit of a nutty taste to them but the texture is the same. I prefer some of our flavors in gluten free over the regular ones. We use equipment sanitized between each use, clean baking pans and bake at a separate time from our regular cupcakes but there is always a chance of cross contamination in my kitchen. If a bride came in by herself and told me her fianc had that severe of a reaction I would be very hesitant to do her wedding until I had spoken with her fianc about our methods. I would also recommend a separate cake and cupcakes placed separately from any non gluten free ones. Take your fianc with you to your meetings with caterers and bakers and ask the hard questions. If the business owners don't understand how to properly take care of your needs, the employees working behind the scenes won't either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards