June 2012 Weddings
Options

TIME IS RUNNING OUT FOR BM DRESS ORDERS!!!

Hi ladies, for those who have not ordered BM dress yet, and are not using a shop like DB where most of everythign is already in the store, PLEASE BE AWARE that the majority of shops order the dresses from Chinese manufacturers. The Chinese NEW Year is January 23. After this day all the factories stop working for 30 days. My shop has been about to give me a heart attack because I had a few stragglers and they really wanted to make sure the order got in with having to pay rush fees.

Just wanted to pass allong - if you think you have plentry of time to do custom orders, you don't. I would HIGHLY recommend you get your orders in ASAP, but no later than by next week.

This is just to those who will be getting Chinese made dresses. If your BM dresses are American, you should be fine.
Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: TIME IS RUNNING OUT FOR BM DRESS ORDERS!!!

• Options
    My shop told me that if we get our orders in no later than Feb. 5th we would get them in plenty of time.

I have never heard they take off a whole month. I think they would go broke if that were the case. ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hmmmm.. I do wonder if it varies by manfuacturer. Mine was Jasmine Bridals.
    Well, good to know, thanks. I don't want to cause widespread panic, just was sharing what they told me and I thought it may help others.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It is true about what she says about Chinese manufactures. All companies in China shut down for a month during Chinese New Year. My brother works as a Long Shoreman at the Port of LA. He says every year around this time ships from China do not come in, nor do any of our ships get sent there. So if your dresses or accessories are being shipped from there I would do so soon.
    Gary & I camping... We love camping... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My bridal salon told me the dress shops close for a month starting in January too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I was wrong. That is interesting. How could a whole country shut down for a month?!
  • Options
    One of my best friends works for Target Corporate in Sourcing and has to work with China a lot. She was telling me that the reason for the closure is because the factory workers in the cities live apart from their families for basically the whole year. (They live in the cities to make money and their families live deeper in the country and it's very expensive to travel to see them). So basically the New Year is their time to go back and spend time with their families. And it's like ALL the workers in the factories. The companies really don't have a choice. If they want to "fire" the workers who take off for a month, it really doesn't matter to the worker because they'll be able to get another job at another factory easily. And if the company wants their labor done in China, they just have to deal with it. My friend said that companies like Target are aware of this "off time" and have just learned to deal with it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_time-running-out-bm-dress-orders?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:a875d47a-56e1-4f08-b15d-80c0c557c529Post:80295c1c-61b9-427a-89eb-9ba879af27b8">Re: TIME IS RUNNING OUT FOR BM DRESS ORDERS!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]One of my best friends works for Target Corporate in Sourcing and has to work with China a lot. She was telling me that the reason for the closure is because the factory workers in the cities live apart from their families for basically the whole year. (They live in the cities to make money and their families live deeper in the country and it's very expensive to travel to see them). So basically the New Year is their time to go back and spend time with their families. And it's like ALL the workers in the factories. The companies really don't have a choice. If they want to "fire" the workers who take off for a month, it really doesn't matter to the worker because they'll be able to get another job at another factory easily. And if the company wants their labor done in China, they just have to deal with it. My friend said that companies like Target are aware of this "off time" and have just learned to deal with it.
    Posted by Bejohnson5[/QUOTE]

That is really interesting!
  • Options
    CvilleClaireCvilleClaire member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Reason 435,456 to avoid Chinese products. :) I read all about the conditions in the factories the serve companies like Mori Lee, DaVinci, and Emerald in a book...ironic the people making wedding gowns don't see their spouses for months at a time and have their parents raising their children. interestingly, David's Bridal's cheap prices forced many who were producing gowns here to move to China to compete. All so foreign brides can have cheap products. *steps off soap box.*
  • Options
    CVille, you seem to know a lot about this.  Maggie Sottero and Alfred Angelo, are they based in China too? Damn I didn't even think about that, honestly.  That's sickening. 
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for posting this i least i don't feel like a crazy bridezilla anymore....that's exactly why i posted about freaking out about BM dresses yesterday. My BM dresses are Alfred Angelo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_time-running-out-bm-dress-orders?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:a875d47a-56e1-4f08-b15d-80c0c557c529Post:c08eec89-aa63-4c09-830b-2007768edf9e">Re: TIME IS RUNNING OUT FOR BM DRESS ORDERS!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for posting this i least i don't feel like a crazy bridezilla anymore....that's exactly why i posted about freaking out about BM dresses yesterday. My BM dresses are Alfred Angelo
    Posted by julianahenao881[/QUOTE]

Yep! I saw your post (I think I replied) yesterday when I was about to post this. You are so NOT being crazy or difficult :). For me, if I miss getting in the order in time, for my BM dresses they will have to add a $30 rush fee to each dress!

To C'Ville and others on the US vs China discussion, I totally agree. I had no idea how this all worked until I got into it. If I knew then what I know now.....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_time-running-out-bm-dress-orders?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:a875d47a-56e1-4f08-b15d-80c0c557c529Post:e688ec22-8e55-47e7-b785-bed1c84c008d">Re: TIME IS RUNNING OUT FOR BM DRESS ORDERS!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]CVille, you seem to know a lot about this.  Maggie Sottero and Alfred Angelo, are they based in China too? Damn I didn't even think about that, honestly.  That's sickening. 
    Posted by Megbo2012[/QUOTE]Yep.  They're doing all production in China.

It kind of cracks me up that people think there is a woman named Maggie Sottero. Or that Sottero & Midgley is some sort of real collaboration (I swear they created that name to sound like Badgley Mischka).   There WAS an Alfred Angelo (much like there was a David of David's Bridal Warehouse).  Both are long gone.

AA is headquartered in Phili (if memory serves, that's also where David's is based).  There is a creative director, but it's no one with a name like Amsale or Oscar. 
  • Options
    FYI, the book that I read that was so interesting was called One Perfect Day (clicky).  There are parts of the book where the author is a tad pessimistic, but the chapter about the wedding gown industry is fantastic.  She met with the head of DB and was invited by the guy behind DaVinci and Emerald to go to China to see where the dresses were made.  Their shops are fairly humane on their standards, but not on ours.

Chapter 4 (I think) is the one about the gown industry.  You can read a lot of it on Google Books here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards