Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Quick caution about David's Bridal alterations...

Our wedding was absolutely wonderful -- we're still in awe of just how smoothly and beautifully it went. No complaints, no regrets, and we are MARRIED! It doesn't get much better than that. :)

However, quick little word of caution of David Bridal's alterations that I wanted to share with future brides. All of my bridesmaids had DB dresses - we did "I pick the color, you pick the style" and for the most part, it was awesome. I had BMs in another state (all in different cities) while I lived and planned the wedding in a different one, and at the time, DB made perfect sense.

On the wedding day, five minutes before the ceremony, my MOH's zipper ripped. We thankfully had safety pins and an emergency sewing kit, plus my BM cousin's quick, creative thinking come to the rescue -- but this wasn't just a silly fluke! Turns out my MOH had actually decided to order a different dress two months prior, and when it came in, she noticed the zipper seemed faulty, so she asked a DB employee to zip her up. Sure enough, the zipper ripped in store, and they offered an alteration, no charge. Well, they finished the alteration just two days before the ceremony (MOH didn't tell me this, because she was freaking out and didn't want me to), and it clearly wasn't up to code, since it ripped again. She's currently working with them to get a full refund, but so far, they haven't been too helpful. My other BMs didn't have such a drastic issue, but none of us enjoyed our DB experience, even if it was less tramautic than the MOH's. 

Basically, even though it seemed like a good idea, between my experience and many others I've now heard about -- I suggest staying away from DB. Try to find something else, if you can. This is the one and only thing we'd do over!

Other than that, it's a hilarious story now that MOH and I will be laughing about for years, and we had an amazing day! :)

Re: Quick caution about David's Bridal alterations...

• I have to say that based on my experiences w/DB that it can vary so much from store to store & from rep to rep. The rep that helped me find my dress was amazing. The rep assigned to help us when my girls went in looking for dress (we had appointments both times) was useless & did nothing, I did all the hunting for dresses & zipping up & stuff. Hope things work out for your bm.
  • Agree with pp...I'd gotten 2 bm dresses from them before my wedding and had no problems. But had a few problems with different reps for my own wedding. So I'm not their biggest fan, but I have to say that really alterations and dresses can be problems no matter where you go. I was a bm in a friends wedding this year and we got our dresses from a local little boutique store. ALL of us had problems with the zipper on the dress...and it was a Jim Hjelm. One of the bm's had a similar issue -- hers ripped on the way to the wedding and it was only through sheer luck that a guest was an expert sewer and my preparedness (bringing needle & thread just in case) that she didn't have to wear the other dress she bought on the way. 
    Good luck to you bm. Hope it works out ok!! 

• Yeah, I'm pretty sure it varies from store-to-store. I was the only one who got a dress from DB and I had a great experience from shopping for my dress to alterations. But one of my BM had an issue with her Bill Levkoff dress where they ordered her a dress twice her size and there was panic as to whether it would be able to be altered in time. I feel like the best you can do is read reviews and try to be prepared for anything on the day of!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Definitely varies. The girl who helped me with my dress was amazing. She cried with me when I found my dress. She was either an emotional nutcase like me who can't help it when someone else cries or she's a good actress. Regardless, it was great to cry with someone while tying up the corset before my family saw. The girl who helped with my bridesmaids.. also amazing. I've gone in there a few times to pick out something such as shoes and what not and she recognizes me. She always asks how I'm doing and hows the wedding planning. Last week, I went to drop off the BM's dresses to be steamed and both girls were there and both approached me. They want me to come in and tell them how it went. My alteration lady was also amazing. She listened to what I wanted and she did an amazing job. I'm seriously going to miss going to Davids Bridal.
  • My DB experience was also great -- but I have fewer data points to report, since I didn't have any BMs and it was just me shopping at the one store. (although my MIL got her dress at her local David's, and she had a fine experience as well.) My alterations also weren't extensive -- just the hem and a simple one-point bustle. 
  • I had a few iffey moments with DB....one- they suckered me into buying a dress when i was in the new engagement phase- and the dress was "only on sale through october" well- the dress stayed on sale until my darn wedding day.- 10 months later, but "all sales final!"...also...i paid 100.00 for a 3 button bustle....it was the hardest darn bustle to put up AND it fell apart after an hour on the dance floor. I'm glad others have had GREAT experiences...but PP-I feel your pain!
  • It definitely does vary! And like I said, not too many other places would have made sense for us, with me in another state, and all of the girls in different cities in another state. Their numerous locations is brilliantly convenient, but it also means that quality of staff and service varies from store to store. Oh, well -- like someone else said, read reviews on your local store and judge from there!
  • I see you are in North Carolina OP.  What part of the state?  I went to the store in Winston Salem and had a great experience.  I guess it just depends on the store and also who is working.  A friend of mine was a bridesmaid and had some issues with her dress at the exact same store.
    Anniversary
  • I had issues with Davids Bridal too! I ordered a dress I could get online only. It came and the size was too small, however, they wouldn't let me trade it or return it, and they told me they couldn't let their dresses out. Really??? So.... I had to have my Maid of Honor's mom turn it into a corset back dress. Turned out beautiful and I was much happier than I was when it was in the original state. I only picked them because , like you, my bridesmaids were everywhere. Beware of DB. They have a lot of fine print. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards