Ohio-Toledo

Lake Erie Ceremony & Reception Help

I recently got engaged, and we are looking for a ceremony/reception site near Sandusky/Marblehead/Port Clinton. And we're sort of drawing blanks on where to even begin. I need help!

Does anyone know of any sites that could host both a ceremony and a reception for about 150 people? It doesn't have to be ON the lake, but just near lake erie would be great.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Re: Lake Erie Ceremony & Reception Help

• ellenalabamaellenalabama member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Try Camp Perry.  I don't remember if it's right on the lake but I have been to weddings there and they were nice.  Sorry let me clarify that, I have been to wedding receptions there, not sure about ceremony tho. 

• rhickman1632rhickman1632 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a hairstylist in Port Clinton, Ohio.  There are many lakefront locations here and on Catawba or Marblehead.  Catawba Island Club is very pretty and right on the lake.  You could have your ceremony and reception right on the grounds of the club.  There is a rental hall in Marblehead that has a front lawn facing the lake.  Are you looking for an outdoors location or would you rather be inside?  Camp Perry has a beautiful hall also.  How many people are you expecting?  Keep me posted about your progress and I will try and help you as much as possible.  Take care!
  • skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Catawba Island Club (Yacht club)
    Port Clinton Yacht Club
    Sandusky Yacht Club

• edited December 2011

Thank you for all your suggestions! We are looking into each of them. 

We would love to have either an indoor or an outdoor ceremony, but we are definitely sure we want the ceremony and reception at the same venue. We've also thought of Kalahari and Sawmill Creek (neither of which I'm very excited about), as well as Mon Ami and Milan Villa.

Any feedback on the last two venues would be great. I have yet to find anyone who has attended or hosted a wedding at either.

Thanks again!

• NicoleP2011NicoleP2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We just booked our 1/1/11 wedding at Sawmill Creek, its really a beautiful place for the price and how quiet it is there. We also looked at Kalahari, Castaway Bay, Great Wolf Lodge and Mon Ami. Kalahari is VERY expensive and too many kids around, Castaway Bay is cheaper than Kalahari but there is not a separate place for the ceremony (which we wanted b/c of having many out of town guests). Great Wolf Lodge can have a max of 100 people and Mon Ami had a max of 150 but it was by far the most beautiful place for a wedding we saw. Good luck with finding a venue-I think that has been the most stressful part of wedding planning so far, now that its done I can breathe for a minute!

• edited December 2011
    I completely agree! It was a lot more stressful than I thought it would be. We ended up looking at Sawmill Creek, Mon Ami, and Milan Villa, all beautiful, but not quite what we were looking for. 

In the end, we've done a complete 180 and headed south of the lake to book two sites in central Ohio: Mohican Gardens for our outdoor lakeside wedding, and Mohican Resort and Lodge, similar decor and feel to Sawmill Creek, but a little less expensive.

It feels like a huge weight is lifted off me just having my sites figured out as well as a firm date! 
  • AmandaChapAmandaChap member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel your frustration in finding great sites for wedding and receptions that are reasonably priced in that area.  I am planning my wedding there now for June 2011 and I finally just had to say let's have the reception in my parents backyard with a party tent.  Good thing it's a nice big yard.  If I had the money I would start a ceremony and reception site up there that is reasonably priced.  I know it would do well!  I'm glad you found a place though and it's what you wanted.  Mohican is a beautiful area! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards