Louisiana-Baton Rouge

Venue Recommendations (Plantations Preferred)

Hey everyone,

I'm planning a May 2011 wedding (I know, it's kinda far away). I haven't been looking at venues for long but I'm already getting overwhelmed. I really want an outside, plantation wedding because I love the look of a plantation. I have e-mailed Nottoway, White Oak, and Dunleith (in Natchez). I was SHOCKED by Nottoway's prices for catering (Saturday night 150 people minimum $85 per person minimum). I knew White Oak was expensive but I didn't realize that they had a $5850 minimum for catering and that's a little out of our budget. I LOVED Dunleith in Mississippi and I still love Dunleith but they are still out of our budget ($2,500 to rent the place and $35 per person minimum for food for 100 people. With tax and gratuity it would be about $7,700.) I'm not sure if I'm just a cheap person, but I really don't want to spend that kind of money for food.

Can anyone recommend any other venues that offer outside ceremonies? I don't absolutely have to have a plantation but I just LOVE that look. My mom wants to have a beach wedding in Florida and I'm starting to think that might be the best option for us now. I have no idea where to start with a destination wedding.

I really have my heart set on Dunleith but I just don't think it would be the best financial decision. I would love to have my dream wedding but I'm not going into debt to have the fairy tale wedding. Any advise/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Re: Venue Recommendations (Plantations Preferred)

• Cherry0109Cherry0109 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Mount Hope Plantation- Baton Rouge 
    Forrest Grove Plantation - Denham Springs

If you are wanting an outside wedding that doesn't have to be at a plantation there is also... The Gate House and Lake House both in BR. All of these places have websites- just google them...

• kathiechancekathiechance member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Forrest Grove Plantation next weekend and I have nothing but good things to say about them!  We are getting married outside and the catering price per person was reasonable.  Also, they let you taste the food before you pick it.  They are also letting me show up early on the day of my wedding to take all my pictures before my wedding.  Good luck with you search....it can be exhausting!
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married at the Gatehouse and it's gorgeous. We're getting married under the gazebo in their courtyard. They have beautiful landscaping and a covered patio for guests. I think I have some pictures in my bio.

It's not a plantation, but if you have around or under 100 guests it may be perfect for you. It's way more budget-friendly than most plantations, and they include catering, cake, DJ, table linenes, set-up, clean-up, and day-of coordinator.
    Anniversary
  • SE&MBSE&MB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everybody. I actually have an appointment at the Lake House today. I'm super excited! My sister got married there a long time ago, so I pretty much know what it looks like. She didn't have an outside wedding though. I didn't want to go to the same place as her, but I'll get over that.

I've been to Forrest Grove in Denham a few times for different events, and awards ceremonies. I like F.G. but I feel like I want something a little "different" for the wedding.

I've also been to the Gatehouse twice. I went to prom there from both my Junior and Senior year (my high school must love the place because they still have proms there). It sounds stupid, but I feel like I would re-live prom again.

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate everything.
    Wish me luck today! I'm pretty sure I'll like the place and they have been really helpful so far. Hopefully my venue search ends soon because this is definitely overwhelming. I've seen some bad reviews on the Lake House when I googled them, so hopefully everything goes well.
  • edited December 2011
    Greenwood plantation is something to look in to as well. You do have to pay a rental fee but they do not offer catering. So depending on how inexpensive or extravagent you want to go, you can ask family to make the food or find some good prices for catering. Everything is outdoors at Greenwood, including most of the reception. It's beautiful though.

I took my bridal portraits at Rosedown Plantation and LOVED it! It is absolutely gorgeous. I am not sure of what their prices are but when it came to portraits, they were by far the cheapest of all the other plantations.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    http://www.bocageplantation.com/fees-and-policies.html

I am planning on doing my ceremony here and prices are VERY reasonable!! Its newly renovated and BEAUTIFUL!!
  • Tann373Tann373 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kathiechance,
    How was the people there. When I went to visit, the lady I met was'nt so enthused about me being excited that I loved the place. She was very nonchalant. How did you feel?
  • edited December 2011

You might want to find a venue where you can have outside catering. I know Oak Alley and Houmas House will definately be out of your price range. Oak Alley quoted me over a year ago nearly $18,000 for 150 people and Houmas House was $110/person. I got married at Madewood Plantation in Napoleonville a couple of weeks ago and it was a little over $12,000 for 150 people.

• edited December 2011
    JeanaCorina--
    THE ALFRED ANGELO dress you have on your website is GORGEOUS!! Did you buy this dress? I'm looking for this!!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey, MJ! I sent you back a PM. Laughing

Thanks so much, that's my dress and I LOVE it.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    i am getting Married at Desert plantation outside of St. Fransiville. I had a friend get married there and it was GORGOUS! It is off the beaten path and not a lot of people know about it but ALL my vendors have told me it is the prettiest place they have ever done a wedding at! The website does not give it justice! When you drive up there is horses with huge oak trees the ceromony site is right by a lake and reception is outside/inside. The prices are really awesome as well! We even had enogh left in the budget to reserve the rooms there for the weekend (it is also a bed and breakfast) it does not cost much more at all!
  • ashleyhurt86ashleyhurt86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know how you'd feel about coming all the way to Natchitoches and Cane River plantation country but those are affordable. My BFF was married at Melrose in Oct it was amazing and the price wasn't as crazy as other plantations down south. Also they allow outside catering in as long as its a licensed/bonded caterer. Only downsides small parking lot and no indoor areas at all....but beautfiul and we have a few other plantations too...
  • edited December 2011
    I'm from St. Francisville and Greenwood, Rosedown, and Desert plantations are gorgoues! St. Fran in its self is a pretty town. They also have Hemingbough, which might be out of your budget, but it's worth the look. There's Oakly and Butler Greenwood too.
    I'm getting married June 4, 2011 at The Gatehouse and I love it so far! It's in a great location and has beautiful landscape! The people are so wonderful to work with!
    OH! Try Parc 73! When I went to check it out a few months ago, it was still under construction and it looks really nice! It was hard to choose between Gatehouse and Parc 73, but Gatehouse had better prices. I think it was cheaper by like $2000.
    Goodluck!
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely look into Greenwood Plantation in St. Francisville.  I'm having my reception there next April.  It's a stunning plantation.  It actually reminds me of Dunleith a little.  There's also a bed and breakfast on the grounds and they will make sure to leave the rooms open for you and some of your guests if you would like. They give you the option of using their own caterer, or you can bring your own.  It is definitely worth checking out if you haven't chosen another venue yet!!
  • Armywifey04Armywifey04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad I found this link because we're looking for a plantation as well. Oak Alley is my favorite, but after seeing the prices quote, I know it's way outta our budget.

we're trying to keep our guest list under 75 people. We're not from the area so I need a plantation is easily found as all our guests will be coming from out of town.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards