Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Wanting to hear what the teachers of the group think about this...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110216/ap_on_hi_te/us_teacher_suspended_blog

Anyone's opinion is welcome but I really want to hear the teachers view point.  I talked to my sister about it a little at lunch and she is a principal so I wanted to get a teacher's perspective.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Wanting to hear what the teachers of the group think about this...

• edited December 2011
    I'm obviously not a teacher but I think she deserves her punishment.

In my hometown teachers are community leaders, and if they want to write something tactful and purposeful about the direction of kids today, then fine....but a profanity laced rant directed at students and parents?  I think not. 

Even as "anonymous" comments, it's like FFF on here.   People can figure out who you are talking about.
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's inappropriate as a teacher. 

But, at the same time, I do think she's right about kids today. Which, is why I couldn't be a teacher. Because I know I would feel the exact same way about students and if you feel that way, you shouldn't be a teacher. 

I don't know how many teachers I know with that attitude. It's like they get into teaching with this positive, innocent attitude, and realize how lazy and entitled most kids are now and it jades them. 

My FIL has been a college professor for years, and he's always saying the same kinds of things about students. How they want the easy way out, all they do is come to class and text the whole time, and they want things handed to them. 

I agree, our generation, and the generation below us all have this sense of entitlement and it makes me sick. I couldn't work with kids for that reason. I would want to slap all of them and tell them the real world is going to be a cold piece of reality when it hits them one of these days. But, as a teacher, obviously you can't say those kinds of things.

So...in short, do I think what she did was wrong? As a teacher, yes. Do I agree with her opinions? Yep. 
  • edited December 2011

Both of you said what I think.  I think that kids these days just want things handed to them and don't want to work because their parents are showing them the correct way to handle life.  I know that most sports teams now a days don't keep score and everyone gets a trophy.  There are no losers and everyone wins.  Someone has to be a loser in life.  It's just the way society works.  You can't always win. 

The more parents, teachers, life babies these kids the worse our society gets.  I remember when it use to be a big deal to sue someone, especially a big corporation but how many times do we see it now-a-days.  No one wants to hurt anyones feelings so we all have to be PC about everything and you can get sued for anything.  Most of society doesn't work hard anymore. 

I also agree that we are a generation of entitlement and that they can't get punished anymore.  There are consequences to your actions, as a toddler you do something wrong you get time out/toys taken away/spankings (yep I said it).  As a student you don't do your homework you get a bad grade.  As an adult you get fired/go to jail/get a ticket etc.  The younger we teach the kids the better students and adults they will be!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_wanting-hear-teachers-of-group-think-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:3c369c10-6f27-4f8a-b240-598b137f9be3Post:c33953d6-1fad-4c80-a03d-2da82ff20357">Re: Wanting to hear what the teachers of the group think about this...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Both of you said what I think.  I think that kids these days just want things handed to them and don't want to work because their parents are showing them the correct way to handle life.  I know that most sports teams now a days don't keep score and everyone gets a trophy.  There are no losers and everyone wins.  Someone has to be a loser in life.  It's just the way society works.  You can't always win.  The more parents, teachers, life babies these kids the worse our society gets.  I remember when it use to be a big deal to sue someone, especially a big corporation but how many times do we see it now-a-days.  No one wants to hurt anyones feelings so we all have to be PC about everything and you can get sued for anything.  Most of society doesn't work hard anymore.  I also agree that we are a generation of entitlement and that they can't get punished anymore.  <strong>There are consequences to your actions, as a toddler you do something wrong you get time out/toys taken away/spankings (yep I said it).  As a student you don't do your homework you get a bad grade.  As an adult you get fired/go to jail/get a ticket etc.  The younger we teach the kids the better students and adults they will be!
    </strong>Posted by danac2010[/QUOTE]

Amen to that.  

ETA:   Also, I know I am old and all...but I totally remember the principals keeping the paddle on the wall in the office like a prized trophy.   Scared the crap out of everyone....but I don't EVER remember anyone getting paddled that didn't deserve it.

It makes me sad that they don't do that anymore.
  • edited December 2011
    Yep!  My dad said he use to get the paddle a lot.  When I was a kid my mom carried a wooden spoon in her purse whenever we went shopping.  I don't ever remember her using it but the thought of it made us act right!

My step daughter rarely hears the word no at her mom's house so it is a big adjustment to come to our house where there are rules, consquences and you don't always get your way.  I told DH from the day I meet his little girl that I believe in discipline and I refuse to raise a spoiled brat that thinks they run the house and deserve whatever they want.  I also told him I wouldn't marry him until I had lived at the house and we had the same ground rules and discipline in order at the house.  I am so glad I moved in before we got married!  That girl still thinks she can run our house but DH shows her who the parent is and who the child is!  I'm glad I made those rules from day 1!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I love how not one teacher responded to this thread....
  • sosie&fangmansosie&fangman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not yet a teacher, but I am a student of Education. I have been torn on this issue. First, I don't believe the internet is an apporpriate place to place something you don't want everyone to read, regadless of its anonymity. However, one should not be let go for voicing an opinion. This woman is a high school teacher. It's not like she called elementary school children lazy. And from what I have experienced in many schools, what she says is not far from the truth.

The bottom line is everyone has begun to use the internet as their sounding board with no real thoughts of reprocussion. Even as i type this i realize the narcissim that i have to post all my thoughts online. :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She's right.  Very definitely right.  However, as a teacher, we're told not to say a whole lot on FB and the like.  In fact, they don't even like for us to have FB accounts. 

Kids today feel from a very young age today that they are entitled to whatever they want.  Parents don't support the teachers because they are trying too hard to be friends with their kids.  I pretty much had a parent ask me last year how to discipline her child.  I've had parents who were teachers say to me that it was my fault their children were cheating.  Apparently, I didn't have any right to expect them to pass a 50 word vocabulary test.  Add in administration and it really is no wonder that so many leave the profession. 

PS:  This is from Socrates:  "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_wanting-hear-teachers-of-group-think-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:3c369c10-6f27-4f8a-b240-598b137f9be3Post:08545d1b-53ca-4fb6-b37d-c79c35edbbd1">Re: Wanting to hear what the teachers of the group think about this...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love how not one teacher responded to this thread....
    Posted by NMac2010[/QUOTE]
    PS:  I don't check TK too much on the weekend any more. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards