South Asian Weddings

Are Any Of You Planning To Wear....

your mangalsutra everyday?

My FMIL told me that you wear it every day and only remove it when your husband dies. I love tradition and all, but the one FI picked out for me is pretty fancy, and being an American and all, I only wear stuff like that to SPECIAL events. I told that to my FMIL, and she offered to get me a smaller "everyday mangalsutra". Are any of you doing this?
Creating Our Happily Ever After Countdown Ticker

Our Married Bio

Re: Are Any Of You Planning To Wear....

• edited December 2011
    You know, I don't even know if we're including that tradition. I already have a necklace from my FI that I wear every single day. It was the first necklace he ever bought for me. If we do include it, chances are the necklace will be fancier than my usual one and I'll wear it for special occasions only, because I'm rather attached to the one I regularly wear.

My FMIL tells me that as long as it's a chain that was given to the wife by the husband, it's considered proper. She wears her wedding mangalsutra for special occasions and events, but for the most part she only wears a simple gold chain with a small gold and gemstone pendant.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • amberlynnedamberlynned member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is kind of what his mother wants me to do. Wear the wedding manglasutra for special events and an "everyday" type necklace... I just feel like getting two manglasutras is just too much... She doesn't understand this, but I dont really like jewelry :P
    Creating Our Happily Ever After Countdown Ticker

Our Married Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards