Canada-Ontario
Options

Winter Wedding HELP

Please help!!! No one wants me to have MY Dream Winter Wedding!!!

My traditional old fashioned and stubborn father is demanding that I change the season!!!!

What do I do?

Re: Winter Wedding HELP

• Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you'll have to be more specific for us to help.  Introduce yourself, tell us about your FI, why do you want to have a winter wedding, how many people, are you paying for it yourself or are you getting help, etc etc.  

I'm guessing "traditional" means summer wedding?  I would talk to your dad and tell him what you envision and why you really want the winter.  You could also tell him you will save a lot of money in a lot of areas since its off season!  If you are paying, you ultimately have that decision yourself, and I'm sure they will understand eventually.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe mention to your dad that there are often HUGE discounts for off-season weddings, and that you'll be able to have your pick of top vendors, as they'll be less busy with other weddings.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am having a winter wedding just outside of Toronto in Mississauga this January. I have met a lot of people who have been negative and some who are positive.  My future in-laws hate the idea; my parents knew that I was always going to have a winter wedding so they didn't say much.
     Some thoughts: Surprisingly, I wouldn't talk about deals and saving money for the off season. There really isn't really an off season anymore becuase with destination weddings becoming more popular it is harder to get venues because they have parties when they return, they take the photographers etc. So if you say that you might dad if he is paying for any of it might not be too happy. You do, however, get a discount on limos! We have almost everything booked and we thought there would be more deals and I am frugle and did a lot of hunting! You can get them but it is hard!
    We are also both Teachers and getting married in January means work on Friday and Monday. But we really want a winter wedding. We have shown internet pictures of elegant winter weddings to share how romantic and beautiful it is.
    If they are worried about travelling compromise and have your recpetion at a hotel or walking distance to one. This way it is easy for everyone to get to and from in no matter what the the weather.
    Tell you dad that you will get coat check for you guests!
    We also sell people on the idea by saying what else do you do in January? We are simply providing an oportunity to party with family and friends with an open bar! People usually get excited about that.
    Just explain why it is important to you and your FI to have a winter wedding and ecplain that you want them to be supportive of the idea.  Hope this helps! Enjoy! In my opinion, winter wedding's are the best! But I am biased!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you know why he's so against it? Other than it not being a "traditional" summer type wedding? You should talk to him and remind him that it's "your" day.
    I am getting married this December because I too love winter weddings.
    Best of luck with your dad!

Lori
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards