Honeymoon Discussions

HM Registry questions - Travelers Joy

Hi All,
I get that the consensus may be that HM Registries are bad, but I personally thing they are a fabulous idea. I think that my family and friends would love to buy me a sunset dinner cruise rather then a toaster! Every guest will bring a gift so whether we decide to register at Target or a Honeymoon, they will be spending money on something...and those that dont wont participate in the HM Registry anyway!
I still don't know if we are going to do the HM Registry but have heard that Travelers Joy is the best site for it. Just a little curious on how it works. We put the activities we want to do, and possibly hotel and airfare on there as well and guests purchase whatever they'd like and we get the cash to use as we please, is this correct?

Thanks!

Re: HM Registry questions - Travelers Joy

• I looked into the honeyfund.  It costs 3% though for every creidt card used...so we are hoping for money, amex cards, etc...and then we can decide where we want to spend it!
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2009
    Yes, you put the excursions on there and you can cash out the gift redemptions at any time.  I would not recommend putting hotel and airfare on there--the registry should be for extras only.

If you would like to view my registry, I have the link in my planning bio.
  • Great thanks! I couldn't find the link but would be interested in seeing how you have it setup.

Thanks!
  • We used Travelers Joy and everyone from my 62 year old great aunt to my younger cousins loved it! I did not hear one complaint that people disliked or thought it was tacky. (My family is very open and would have told me)
    We registered for everything airfare, hotels and excursions. We used it for our bridal shower and the wedding. Almost everything was purchased.
    Travelers Joy does give you the opportunity to view other peoples registeries. I looked at other samples and used a lot of their ideas.

• Great, thank you for your suggestions! Its refreshing to hear people who are not anti HM registry.

Thanks Steph for sharing your link, your registry is great. I think this is a really cool idea so I'll see what my fiance thinks of it!
  • Thanks.  Like the PP said, I got a lot of my ideas by looking at others so I know how much it helps.  Good luck and if you feel your family and friends will be fine with it, then that's all that matters.
  • this is what i am thinking of doing also...because my fiance and i already live together so there is really nothing we need. however i am clueless...so any info would be helpful.

thanks
    :)
  • Yah thats exactly the situation we are in. We could either register for a bunch of stuff we don't need or do the HM Registry. I researched this more and found two sites I'm debating between. Travelers Joy and HoneyFund. Travelers Joy looks a little better design wise, probably has more choices of pictures to post. There is no setup fee, and no fee to guests to buy a "gift" for you (aka give you money) Unless they use paypal I believe paypal takes a small 3% off. It does however take a 7% fee from the money you would get so if your guest pays you $100, the site takes $7 of that for their services and you end up with $93. Doesn't seem like much but off every gift it will add up fast. HoneyFund works a little differently, they don't take any money, instead you list the items you want for your honeymoon and then your guest prints a certificate of what they want to buy you off the list and just include the certificate with a check or cash for you. This option seems nice for those who don't like giving out their credit card over the internet or who would rather give you check or cash on your wedding day. Its also nice that there are no fees, its absolutely free to use and free for guests to print the certificate for the item they are giving you money for.

I'm still trying to decide which one I want to go with, going to discuss it with my fiance and get his opinion.

I found this review online that discusses the top 4 or 5 HM registry sites, HoneyFund isn't one of them but Travelers Joy is and looked to be the hit among the others.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121020123458375115.html?mod=pj_main_hs_coll

If anyone else has any opinions on these two sites, I'd love to hear them!
  • The reason we didn't consider Honeyfund is that you can only pay through Paypal.  I knew that most of my husband's family and his parents' older friends would not have Paypal or know how to use it.  
  • I think that has made up my mind, Travelers Joy sounds the best. Thanks!
  • I also agree with Travelers Joy. After researching all the different types of HM registries, I decided that Travelers Joy is the best. Its easy to use. I also looked at other ppl's registries for ideas for mine.

imageAnniversary Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We have our hm registry through Traveler's Joy and so far it's been great. We've lived together for 5 years so we also don't really need a lot of stuff. However, we did also register at Crate and Barrel in case people wanted to get us actual 'things' (plus, I really need new cookware). So far we've gotten several engagement/shower gifts (my shower is next week so I've gotten stuff from people who can't come). I'd say it's been half and half between the 2 regsitries.

We used miles for our plane tickets (we're going to Hawaii) but we're not registered for hotel rooms. Just extras- helicopter ride,  massage, dinners, etc).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards