Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

NWR but need OPINIONS!

So I have been looking for a new job since the day we got back from our HM.  I've been @ my job for 2 years and have wanted a new job for about 1 1/2 yrs :(  I've only stayed up until now b/c it was flexible while planning a wedding!
Well DH came home on Friday and said that his company is looking to add another receptionist to their office.  He really thinks it would be good for me.  I just don't know if I want to work w/ my hubby!  I love him to death but I just don't know how that would work.  He is an engineer and its about 25 guys and 2 girls that I would be working with.  I love all his co-workers and I know his boss would hire me if H referred me but I just have mixed feelings about it.  What would yall do?

Re: NWR but need OPINIONS!

• How often would you actually be directly working with him and/or seeing him?

H and I worked at the same company for quite a while, but we worked in separate buildings and never actually had to see each other unless we wanted to. I also never had to do any work for or with him. I think it would really depend on that though. Personally, if I took a receptionist position and would be receiving work requests from my husband, I think I would eventually get annoyed. The same goes for if I were to see him several times per day. (Not that I don't enjoy seeing H, but I think that it's important to have some time apart in order to be healthy/productive human beings). :)
    Anniversary
  • Well we MET at work, so I may not be the best person for advice. Honestly, we loved it, but that's how we met and that's how things grew naturally.
    Also, we worked close in proximity, but never actually WORKED together. It was just kind of a job to get me through school, so I never really cared about my career there. At the job I am at now, there is a LOT of room for growth and it's pretty professional, and I don't think I would want them to see me interact with my S/O all the time.

I probably wouldn't, but I truly think it's different for everyone.
  • Well I would be working closely with him b/c that position is almost as an assistant to all the engineers in the office.  I think it would be ok but I just worry it will be too much time spent together!  His office is extremely laid back and relaxed .  Another one of the girls that works there is the bosses wife and we hang out and socialize with them often so I would be going in to it knowing everyone there.  We plan on having kids within the next year or 2 and I am kinda just looking for a job until we have kids and I am able to stay @ home with them. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_nwr-but-need-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:9f697f28-cbbc-4253-85e9-211eb2da0b8fPost:63a1dbd2-3772-4e82-8e2d-82fced84f504">Re: NWR but need OPINIONS!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I would be working closely with him b/c that position is almost as an assistant to all the engineers in the office.  I think it would be ok but I just worry it will be too much time spent together!  His office is extremely laid back and relaxed .  Another one of the girls that works there is the bosses wife and we hang out and socialize with them often so I would be going in to it knowing everyone there.  We plan on having kids within the next year or 2 and I am kinda just looking for a job until we have kids and I am able to stay @ home with them. 
    Posted by kel50785[/QUOTE]

Well, in your case it sounds like it might be a good fit then! If you aren't happy with what you have now, and this wouldn't be a lifetime commitment, then maybe it would work out well. Worst case scenario, you feel like it's too much time together and you look for something else.
    Anniversary
  • shishigami26shishigami26 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2012
    FI and I have worked in the same company and same department (sales/customer service) for almost three years now. FI had already been with the company for a year and a half when I got scheduled for an interview, and our bosses knew ahead of time that we were together. We sit on opposite sides of the same room and interact daily. Primarily I talk with him about work-related issues or situations, but other topics are bound to pop up from time to time since we are friends with everyone in our department and office. It works out well for FI and I, but I know a lot of other couples would not want to work together.

I agree with Erica in this case. If I had to take work directly from FI, I would eventually get bummed out I think.

Edit- Took too long to get this posted! Your 2nd description of who you would be working with there and the relationship you already have with everyone else at that job makes it sound more appealing.
  • J and I met at work, so working together feels natural to us. At this point in my career, as a supervisor, I would not want him to work here unless he were in a different department or on the same level as me. I don't want to have to deal with accusations of nepotism, since that was an issue where we were previously employed together.

It was nice to commute and go to lunch together occasionally, but our current situation is also nice (we no longer work together). I like riding to work by myself and not having to leave early or late because of him for whatever reason. I like being able to come home at the end of the day and see him and tell him about my day and have him not already KNOW how my day was.

The only couples I really dislike in the workplace are those that broadcast their relationship incessantly and are all lovey-dovey in the office. It is unprofessional and just annoying. We have one of those here and I just want to off myself when they are in the breakroom around lunchtime.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards