Interracial Weddings

What type of bride are you?

I had no idea what type of bride I was meant to be until I started planning my wedding. I like feather fascinators, damask designs and nice clean lines. After that my theme and overall feel of the wedding fell together; it turned into a retro/vintage flapper themed wedding in loving reference to the Great Gatsby!

What type of bride did you turn out to be?

Did you always know this was what you wanted your wedding to look like?

What's your biggest wedding inspiration?
Vacation White Knot

Re: What type of bride are you?

• What type of bride did you turn out to be?

Everything I liked (dress, centerpieces, flowers, invites and cake) can be described as Simple. Beautiful. Classic.  I just picked what I liked; I have no theme.

I didn't realize it until December, actually.  Even when I showed some of my pieces to my niece and my aunt, they both agreed it "looks like me". 

Most of all, I realized I can be extremely organized if I want to be :)  FI says he brags all the time when people ask him if I'm stressing about wedding plans.  He tells them I have EVERYTHING planned, from timeline to dollars.

Honestly, I didn't think I would be getting married.  I always envisioned myself as the "old lady at the end of the block who all the neighborhood kids were scared of, screaming at them to get off my lawn"!!  lol  I guess life had other plans for me.

Not sure.
  • My FI is the dollars man; I swear our last coversation with a friend at dinner went like this:

"So what are you guys doing for head table centerpieces?"

Me: "You remember, the one with the bouquet, feathers and lights, right?"

Him: "It's the thing that costs $80"

"What about the guest book?"

Me: "It's a finger print tree, it's really pretty."

Him: "The thing that costs $40, right?"

We've got our priorities :)
    Vacation White Knot
  • edited February 2012
    Haha.  That made me laugh out loud!  At least he's involved :)  My FI, his eyes kind of glaze over about the details, but he knows because I'm planning, he doesn't have to worry about numbers.  We're currently under budget, and we both kid each other about being the most "thrifty" people we know.  I never sacrifice quality; I just find a way to make it happen for less!

P.S. Like your siggy pic by the way.  Very cute!
  • We don't have a theme but looking at all our details and wedding come together I'd say it has a modern romance feel. Lots of garden roses and hdrangas, diamond shaped crystal table numbers, purpleish nightclub feel up lighting with lights in our centerpieces for a night club feel after dinner. It's turning out to be everything I wanted a fun, romantic, hip wedding. I always thought I would be this over the top dripping in jewels type of bride growing up. I even wanted the long train that Vanessa had in Coming to America lol but when I started planning I realized I just wanted to have a wedding that showed our style together and didn't look like a Disney movie. My biggest inspiration for the wedding was actually Khloe Kardashians wedding, I loved her wedding and that's what inspired me. A very romantic outdoor ceremony and a hip fun reception.
    Once in awhile,right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_type-of-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:02e0cd44-76af-40f9-a88d-2ee0186d444cPost:cc9ca017-d550-46de-b50e-6034bf6833e9">Re: What type of bride are you?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I even wanted the long train that Vanessa had in Coming to America lol but when I started planning I realized I just wanted to have a wedding that showed our style together and didn't look like a Disney movie.
    Posted by 7E&G7[/QUOTE]

Love that movie! Yeah, her train was outrageously long :)
  • What type of bride did you turn out to be?

We're almost Wedding Date Twins and we have similar decor tastes!

I love feathers and we're putting some in my bouquet and in my girls bouquets and the centerpieces. And you mentioned Damask..we are using Damask overlays for our tables at the reception.

So the vintage look with a little sassiness.

I don't think so I was wanting hot pink and black decor. But I threw a huge 30th Birthday and used this for decor and didn't wan to redo that theme 2 years later.

Some of the weddings on The Knot. And I wanted something classic and timeless. So 20 years from now when we look back we don't think 'UGH'! haha:-)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_type-of-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:02e0cd44-76af-40f9-a88d-2ee0186d444cPost:fe050d00-9e85-444f-8a7d-0e953b1ecabd">What type of bride are you?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had no idea what type of bride I was meant to be until I started planning my wedding. I like feather fascinators, damask designs and nice clean lines. After that my theme and overall feel of the wedding fell together; it turned into a retro/vintage flapper themed wedding in loving reference to the Great Gatsby! What type of bride did you turn out to be? Did you always know this was what you wanted your wedding to look like? What's your biggest wedding inspiration?
    Posted by melntaitt[/QUOTE]
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Elizabeth I just fell for feathers last year it was sooo pretty!

Is your FI involved or does he just zone out?
    Vacation White Knot
  • What type of bride did you turn out to be? I knew I wanted simple and elegant. I wanted to be a beautiful bride but not necessarily a diva or bridezilla. One of the first things I decided on was candles. I wanted an outdoor wedding and indoor candlelight reception... I felt it would be so romantic to get married as the sun was setting and then have dinner/dancing by candlelight. I am so excited to see it all come together.

Did you always know this was what you wanted your wedding to look like? Honestly no. I thought, for a while, that I would have a church wedding. But we decided that we didn't need to be in a church building to have God with us. I just hope he gives us favorable weather and no rain for our wedding. :P

What's your biggest wedding inspiration? My husband to be. I wanted the day to be special for BOTH of us. He has been SO involved in the decisions and it makes me feel only more blessed to be marrying him.
  • He's involved but not overly. He's been to a couple bridal shows with me and listens to the ideas I have. And he's open to whatever I decide as long as it isn't going to cost an arm and a leg!!

How about your FI?!

esponse to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_type-of-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:02e0cd44-76af-40f9-a88d-2ee0186d444cPost:065dc405-2ddc-4785-a00e-363f9a612713">Re: What type of bride are you?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Elizabeth I just fell for feathers last year it was sooo pretty! Is your FI involved or does he just zone out?
    Posted by melntaitt[/QUOTE]
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • He knows what it costs; that's it. He goes to some bridal shows but he's the only guy there and old ladies feed him cake and ask him to take stuff to their car. That was too funny to make up...

I took him to the florist appointment and the designer was going on and on about the SH table headpiece and I was so excited! He sat there and asked eventually how much it cost...the florist told him and he said ok. That's the most involved he has been!
    Vacation White Knot
  • Hmm... I never dreamed much about my wedding.  I figured if I did marry I wanted a big poofy dress like Sarah wears in the Labyrinth.  (It was my dream dress growing up.)

But after we got engaged I really liked the idea of doing a vintage/retro-style wedding and didn't want anything big or cumbersome to walk around in all day.  DH isn't much for dressing up at all, so I like how doing it the way we did allowed us both to feel comfortable.
  • I originally wanted my wedding to be really colorful, funky and different. Super laid back. Well, when I finally had the ring, it all changed. Now I'm more of a semi-formal elegance with a touch of vintage bride. I have a lot of soft colors and fluffy flowers. Lace everywhere. Not nearly as funky as I originally planned.

It's not that someone convinced me otherwise, my tastes just changed when it went from fantasy to reality.
  • \What type of bride did you turn out to be? Laidback, rustic, informal- except for the dress, lol. My bridesmaids can pick their own dresses and colors and I'm using dried flowers for bouquets and my ring bearer has a dried moss and birch bark "pillow." We're not breaking the bank with it and while it's a big day, it's not the only day so trying to maintain a fairly relaxed and summery atmoshere- a pasta bar with cupcakes for dessert and a ceremony at a church across the street from our historical hall reception- no limo, no big exit.

Did you always know this was what you wanted your wedding to look like? Never gave any thought to getting married until he actually proposed. Whenever we talked about being married before that, we always just skipped ahead to being a married couple with kids.

What's your biggest wedding inspiration? Our background, I guess- we met at camp and love the outdoors so I knew I wanted wild flowers and moss and bark. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • What type of bride did you turn out to be? Laidback, rustic, informal- except for the dress, lol. My bridesmaids can pick their own dresses and colors and I'm using dried flowers for bouquets and my ring bearer has a dried moss and birch bark "pillow." We're not breaking the bank with it and while it's a big day, it's not the only day so trying to maintain a fairly relaxed and summery atmoshere- a pasta bar with cupcakes for dessert and a ceremony at a church across the street from our historical hall reception- no limo, no big exit.

Did you always know this was what you wanted your wedding to look like? Never gave any thought to getting married until he actually proposed. Whenever we talked about being married before that, we always just skipped ahead to being a married couple with kids.

What's your biggest wedding inspiration? Our background, I guess- we met at camp and love the outdoors so I knew I wanted wild flowers and moss and bark.
  • What type of bride did you turn out to be? Laidback, rustic, informal- except for the dress, lol. My bridesmaids can pick their own dresses and colors and I'm using dried flowers for bouquets and my ring bearer has a dried moss and birch bark "pillow." We're not breaking the bank with it and while it's a big day, it's not the only day so trying to maintain a fairly relaxed and summery atmoshere- a pasta bar with cupcakes for dessert and a ceremony at a church across the street from our historical hall reception- no limo, no big exit.

• I am your traditional bride with a small twist.  I always had a vision of what I wanted my wedding to be and I am still sticking with some of that so many years later. 

I knew I wanted to have the long veil, the garter, the white dress, bridesmaids, etc.  I always wanted my colors to be blue and white (I added silver a few years ago even before planning).

I have changed a few things (my tastes has changed or matured) but I still want the princess dress, the tiara, the tradional dances, etc.

I just want my wedding to be fun, simple yet elegant. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards