Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Hostess Gifts

So FI's family friends are being very generous and throwing us 2 showers (hosted by 2 different people, on different days, with different people invited) in September.  I have actually never met the hosts of these showers, so I'm trying to figure out what a nice gift would be for the hostess.  At first I was thinking a nice fall-inspired bouquet, but a lot of people have allergies so I don't want to do flowers.  I was thinking about making some kind of cookies or brownies and bringing them wrapped up for the hostess, but I'd have to make them Friday afternoon and give them away on Saturday and Sunday.  Would they be funky by then?  Any other ideas?

Thanks ladies!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hostess Gifts

• Options

My suggestions woul be
    -A nice bottle of wine wrapped in a pretty dish towel
    -A decrative serving plate or the like (we're gettng slate cheese plates for our shower hosts)
    -Gift card (not my favorite)
    -Edibles are always nice (maybe som fancy herbs/spices or nice candies)

And of course a hand written thank you note!

• Options
    I'm a big fan of flowers. Fall flowers do not have much pollen. if you go to a florist, you can ask for a bouquet with no pollen. It makes a huge difference.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hostess-gifts-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4243eaaf-a29f-4b98-9724-884396cf1207Post:98096ed3-5957-435b-9eb6-0e457d7517d8">Re: Hostess Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a big fan of flowers. Fall flowers do not have much pollen. if you go to a florist, you can ask for a bouquet with no pollen. It makes a huge difference.
    Posted by schlagetermari[/QUOTE]

Wow, no kidding!  Good to know - thanks!!
  • Options
    I always stock up on Yankee candles for random last minute gifts.
  • Options
    For something that lasts longer, but that won't require any cooking time for you, find a nice fall plant arrangement instead, and that way this gift will last even after your party is over.  My mom tired out of fresh florals, and has since preferred orchid plant arrangements or plants as gifts.

(Potted orchid arrangements, cacti, succulents ... you could easily ask your local florist ahead of time to make an arrangement & deliver it directly there, but I would strongly suggest doing this in person, and not online, to better insure quality & appearance).

Kudos to you for being so thoughtful of your hostess(es?) though!  Laughing
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Oh, or a Diamond Candle or two (which is currently on sale for 2 for 25$) ... if you've never heard of them, please look them up!  They smell amazing and have a ring in everyone one (worth $10 to $5,000).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I got my MIL an edible arrangement for a gift.  I think it's a healthy gift that most people really enjoy.  I personally love candles but I know a lot of people who don't.
  • Options
    Do you bring the gift to the party or deliver it after?
  • Options

Be unbelieveably gracious and send them a thank you note and gift a day before the event.

This will go over super big with your hosts. 

Gift Ideas:   A fruit bouquet by Edible Designs.  Everyone eats!
                        Tickets for two to a movie and burger:  Is there a Red Robin in your area?
                        Do they like to bowl, tennis, golf?  There's an idea.  
                        A gift certificate, a small box of chocolates or candies.

After the event:  Send another thank you note telling them how wonderful the day was and how much you appreciated their kindness.  You'll shine with Pizazz!

Carolina
    Makeup Mavens on Location

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards