Jewish Weddings

Gift for the rabbi?

Hi,

Any suggestions for a gift for the rabbi?  He's co-officiating our non-traditional, fairly secular Jewish/Yoga philosophy wedding with a yoga teacher for free.  He's been really fun to plan with.  He works as a director at a Hillel and knows my partner because my partner does kosher catering there.  I'm stumped on how to thank him. Ideas?

Warmly,
Lauren

Re: Gift for the rabbi?

• shortee426shortee426 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would make a donation to Hillel, his temple, etc.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto shortee--make a donation to Hillel--either at his school (is there a director's discretionary fund or something?) or national.  If you'd like to give him something on top of that, you could get him a restaurant gift card (I would get it for a kosher restaurant if you don't know his level of observance). 
  • edited December 2011
    We made a donation as well.
  • edited December 2011
    Any range of the appropriate amount to donate?
  • edited December 2011
    I would probably do a couple hundred (you could do a multiple of chai if you wanted, like $360).  There's a thread a little bit down the page about how much officiants charge if you want an idea of how much money it's saving you to have him officiate for free if that would inform how much you donated.  Our officiant charges $500.  
  • Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our photographer took a great picture of the rabbi and his wife dancing at our wedding.  We had this picture framed and sent to them.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards