New York-New York City

help for a small wedding in New York for a non New Yorker

My fiancé and I are coming to New York City, from Vancouver BC to get married this coming September. We have never been to the city. We will be in the city just a few days before a small amount of family members join us for the ceremony. I was wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere to have a nice dinner in Manhattan that isn’t too expensive but offers nice views of the city or feels very New York. Also, if anyone could recommend somewhere to get my hair and makeup done as well as a photographer it would be of much help!

Re: help for a small wedding in New York for a non New Yorker

• anniebeewedanniebeewed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on the engagement!! Coming all the way from Vancouver... you guys are too cute!
    If you're on a budget, I really think getting your hair done at the Bumble and Bumble counter at Bloomingdale's would be an excellent idea! It's $25 for any style you want and they are amazing! Then, you can go to a make up counter with whichever brand you'd like. Definitely make a reservation with bumble and bumble at (212) 705-2899 and then think of what your favorite make up brand is and google up their phone number in bloomingdale's on 59th street!

When it comes to a restaurant, maybe you could be a little more specific? Like what type of food you'd prefer and how many guests you think you will roughly have.

For photography, I used astami photos. She was a doll and made me and my husband feel so comfortable in front of the camera! Her website is http://www.astamiphotos.com/ and her email is info@astamiphotos.com. I think you'd really like her. Let her know that you have a limited budget. She's so understanding!

Good luck with the planning!
  • moyajenechkamoyajenechka member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!!

You can have a very nice dinner in "R" on the Times Square, they have an amazing view!

Photography wise, I warmly recommend Julian Ribinik of Julian Ribinik Photography, you can see his work at http://www.julianribinik.com

He also provided us with a great make-up artist, Maya, and did our invitations, so I suggest you ask him about anything you need.

Best of luck!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, for hair, i would recommend Styles on B. Another low budget way to go for make-up is to work with a Sephora make-up artist. thats what im doing. $45 for just me.

I might recommend having dinner and then doing dessert some place fancier like at the Mandarin Oriental which has wonderful views of the city. most places with a view are very expensive and the food is not that great.

For photography, I'm using Pete Labrozzi, http://weddings.petelabrozzi.com/ he customized a package for us since we're on a tight budget

hope this helps.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there - Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for hair and makeup, but Water's Edge is a restaurant in Long Island City, which is a relatively easy cab/subway ride from Manhattan.  Actually, they also have a small charter boat that can bring you from Manhattan straight to the restaurant...I'm not sure how much that costs, though!  They have beautiful views of Manhattan which might be nice since you can see the whole skyline that way (www.watersedgenyc.com).  Good luck!!
  • edited December 2011
    Another route to go for make-up is to go to a department store that has MAC make-up. If you get your hair done at Bumble and Bumble at Bloomingdales, then you could just walk from one counter to another. MAC will do your make-up for free if you spend $50 on their products. So just buy what you need and you get more bang for your buck.

As far as restaurants goes, how fancy do you want it to be? There's a lot of places that feel very New York, but they might not be formal fancy pants places.
  • springflrspringflr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    River Cafe in Brooklyn overlooks the Manhattan skyline and is right on the water.  It is also next to the pier and two parks.  (I like the old Brooklyn Bridge Park better for the pebble beach.)  You can hire an officiant and photographer and get married right there before going to the River Cafe.

Or do the same in Central Park and have lunch/dinner at the Central Park Boathouse.

If you prefer a quieter environment, consider getting married in Tryon Park (Manhattan--overlooks Hudson) and then dining at New Leaf Cafe, which is in the park.

Or marry in Battery Park and dine in Battery Gardens (views of Statue of Liberty).
  • lifesabeach2lifesabeach2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out The Boathouse in Central Park for a beautiful dinner in the park right on the lake.  (Your guests can even rent a gondola and take a ride on Central Park Lake.)  
    You cannot get more NY than Central Park.  Also beautiful for pictures.

Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely Central Park Boathouse sounds like it would be a good fit. For photography, we are using and wholeheartedly suggest beIMAGED http://www.beimaged.com and as for hair and makeup: Fresh Face Forward http://www.freshfacefwd.com/  Good luck with everything!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards