October 2012 Weddings
Options

Question --- RE: Wedding reception timeframe

Hi!

Please help me...I am planning a small destination wedding for October. Due to our small budget, we would like to have our wedding reception celebration in April of next year so that all of our family and friends can celebrate with us. Is that appropriate? What is the proper timeframe to hold a reception?

In advance, thanks so much!

Re: Question --- RE: Wedding reception timeframe

• Options
    My personal feeling is, have it whenever you want! 6 mos. certainly seems to be a respectable timeframe though. Some people may question it, but  I believe the vast majority will be excited for a chance to celebrate with you. I would publicize the reception as soon as possible so people don't  get you gifts for the Ocyober one (some will, even if they aren't invited) then feel like they have to get you gifts again in April.
  • Options
    I think etiquette wise you cant really call it a reception since a reception is a thank-you to your guests for coming to the wedding. Call it a celebration of your marriage or some such thing. Also I believe you are not supposed to wear a white dress, no cake cutting, first dance or have anything else reception-y.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Options
    That seems a really long time. But as long as 1. Everyone that is invited to the April reception is invited to the ceremony and 2. You do have some sort of small reception that day to thank those attending the ceremony, it should be ok. Because the reception is a way to thank people for attending your ceremony, not providing something that day would be rude. Also, if you invite people to the reception that weren't invited to the ceremony, it seems gift grabby. Why not wait until next April to get married when you can afford the wedding you want?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thank you for your time and response!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_question-re-wedding-reception-timeframe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:9b8bb984-e5b5-4502-950e-241ee6f1ae43Post:3fce0d72-c625-4b52-a364-b4e5c3341781">Re: Question --- RE: Wedding reception timeframe</a>:
    [QUOTE]My personal feeling is, have it whenever you want! 6 mos. certainly seems to be a respectable timeframe though. Some people may question it, but  I believe the vast majority will be excited for a chance to celebrate with you. I would publicize the reception as soon as possible so people don't  get you gifts for the Ocyober one (some will, even if they aren't invited) then feel like they have to get you gifts again in April.
    Posted by darlingc[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Thank you for responding.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_question-re-wedding-reception-timeframe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:9b8bb984-e5b5-4502-950e-241ee6f1ae43Post:5201ed89-f893-4823-add8-feb34767c5cd">Re: Question --- RE: Wedding reception timeframe</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think etiquette wise you cant really call it a reception since a reception is a thank-you to your guests for coming to the wedding. Call it a celebration of your marriage or some such thing. Also I believe you are not supposed to wear a white dress, no cake cutting, first dance or have anything else reception-y.
    Posted by snuff9861[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Ok, thank you!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_question-re-wedding-reception-timeframe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:9b8bb984-e5b5-4502-950e-241ee6f1ae43Post:affa3781-ba8c-48fe-8f18-e92c1e18d6d9">Re: Question --- RE: Wedding reception timeframe</a>:
    [QUOTE]That seems a really long time. But as long as 1. Everyone that is invited to the April reception is invited to the ceremony and 2. You do have some sort of small reception that day to thank those attending the ceremony, it should be ok. Because the reception is a way to thank people for attending your ceremony, not providing something that day would be rude. Also, if you invite people to the reception that weren't invited to the ceremony, it seems gift grabby. Why not wait until next April to get married when you can afford the wedding you want?
    Posted by BrittneyRN[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards