Ohio-Columbus

Help with Reception Venue!!!

So we are all set with booking all our vendors EXCEPT...reception site!  We are planning from out of town...wanted the downtown wedding feel..with hotels available for all guests.  We have penciled in the Renaissance and Westin.  My dilemma..after visiting the Renaissance....I was NOT impressed.  The colors, the dance floor was like cardboard...was not intimate feeling at all.  The Westin was much nicer but further away from restaurants, etc.  There was a lot of gaudy construction outside the Westin and I didn't notice even a small cafe our guests could get inexpensive coffee and a bagel?  We made the mistake of going into The Athletic Club and I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT!! Our date is booked of course and now we have limited time!  6 months to go! 
What to do!!!????

Re: Help with Reception Venue!!!

• osumegsosumegs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at the Loft at Smith Brothers or the Venue? They have a very urban feel, but I think are a bit more modern and intimate than the other two sites. 
  • rnshellyrnshelly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked at the pictures on the website of Smith Brothers..wasn't impressed really?  Ceilings look low?? Closed in feeling??  I would have to see it in person.

• fallbride'10fallbride'10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The Vault is a really nice venue downtown and there's hotels right across the street. It's a really neat space...I'd look into it.

November 12, 2010 imageMy Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • osumegsosumegs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, the Vault is also really pretty. I'm trying to think restaurant wise if there is a nice one downtown that has room for a reception. Marcella's might be open enough to do so. 
  • edited December 2011
    If you do want a restaurant, Due Amici is gorgeous. Also, Marcellas, M, etc. For other downtown feel locations, try the Hartman Ballroom, YWCA ballroom (surprisingly nice and very affordable), maybe the Barrister Club (connected to OSU's law school) or the Athanaeum.

Regarding the Venue @ Smith Brothers - the ceiling is very high and beautiful. The Loft at Smith Brothers is a bit more closed in/lower ceilings but is also larger. Both have a very industrial feel--super modern. My partner and I were just there last weekend and he said there are a few dates in the Spring that he has open that he's giving away for a discounted rate. Apparently there were late cancellations. Maybe you'll get lucky?

Good luck! Venue hunting is such a pain.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions...I didn't realize there were 2 Smiths Bros...Loft vs. Venue!! Interesting.  We are doing our rehearsal dinner at Due Amici..loved it there.  We have 200 ppl so we need a rather large space!
  • edited December 2011
    I had the same thing happen to me at the athletic club.  Its sooooo pretty.  but I booked the capital club.  You should totally look at it depending on what your guest list looks like.  I booked the presidents room and it is beautiful and holds 150 people.  If you want pictures of it let me know and i can email them to you.  My email address is aalsafh@gmail.com

good luck
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much, but we are going to have probably close to 200ppl.  I can't get over the Athletic Club and how it was perfect...It was exactly what I wanted...I don't think anything will compare now :(  Ha, ha.
  • alyssmpalyssmp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having my wedding at the Athletic Club, but there is the Athenaeum just a block over from the Athletic Club.  They have 4 different rooms to choose from and is very nice and still has a similar feel as the Athletic Club.  Check out the theater room.
  • edited December 2011
    If you want an intimate space with tasteful decor, I would look in Creekside. We had our wedding there, and it was very beautiful and elegant. It had a lot of room but still felt intimate- we could see all of our guests from the center of the room. We absolutely loved it and felt it was perfect. Oh, and if you wanted restaurants close by for your guests, Mezzo is in the same Creekside Plaza and Old Bag of Nails is down the street, along with a couple of other places.
  • clmckin3clmckin3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Both weddings at The Vault I have attended had poor acoustics due to the shape of the room and the bathrooms were overflowing due to poor pluming. Creekside is beautiful, but an L shape so you can see all your guests, but guests on one side can not see the guests on the other side. Athenaeum has a few nice rooms, the Greek Orthodox Church also has a pretty room with an outisde area available for appetizers and drinks.

• edited December 2011
    Cimkin- You may actually be thinking of the Athletic Club, which is a distinct L-shape. As a guest I could not see the other side. Creekside is actually one long rectangle. Unless you pack your guests in to the point of using the entrances leading into the lounge and into the back room (which we used for all of our extra stuff the bridal party didn't need), only then could you not see two or three tables. You would need to maximize the guest limit for that to happen though. All of our guests were able to see each other because of the rectangle shape. 
  • SayreKNSayreKN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our reception at Confluence Park.  The big room holds 300 people- and 2 of the walls are all windows looking at downtown Columbus.  There are no hotels within walking distance, but they are only a couple of miles away. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Check out Confluence Park as PP said, and the Capital Club - it has a VERY downtown feel.
    What mama? I'm an artist :)Painting
    -8 months old-
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards